Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how you can hate the pacing in snes jrpgs and think golden sun is better, let alone better than modern jrpgs that all generally move way faster

it's not that people played golden sun when they were growing out of jrpgs, it's true that a lot of people left their experience with the genre in the psx/early ps2 era (which is why you see a lot of people suggesting ways to improve the genre that have already been done by games within the last five years lol) but golden sun was already just pretty dated when it first came out

that of course means it's aged like hot moldy rear end now

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh even with ff7's janky translation it has like. way better writing than golden sun lol. it gets really goofy but it at least has a sense of humor and a good feel for keeping stuff moving forward, there are some slow bits but there's memorable characterization and its big moments are genuinely strong

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

EA Sports posted:

let's consider the worlds most divisive rpg ever made to highlight the taste differences that can be at play here.

Dragon warrior 7 is a masterclass in its genre, selling well over four million copies in japan and being praised by critics all over the country.

In america, it mostly got panned critically and sold like garbage. i played about ten hours of the game about seven years ago, and at the time it felt like an adequate jrpg with a simplistic story. It wasn't til I beat the area I was in that

I realized that game was insanely huge. supposedly taking 200 hours to get through the main game. all the interest i had with the characters and story suddenly morphed into migraine inducing tedium.

I don't think it's a bad game but i know i will never feel an interest in playing it again, this distaste i have to the game does not change how I ultimately feel about it as a total package, which is, if you love jrpg milieu

it's the greatest game ever made.

i feel like this ignores the fact that dq in japan has a huge historical context and lasting appeal that's given it the level of hype american critics usually reserve for big aaa western games, and that coupled with the language barrier likely dwarfed impressions of individual opinion on the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this ancient japanese indie game got an official 3d remake on the dreamcast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/xy2ni8.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

when you zoom out far enough from spider-man 2's world, the skybox makes it look like a late 90s fps

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a granblue action rpg coming out at some point that looks decent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spider-man 2 bugged out and this cutscene just turned into peter parker eternally walking into an elevator door

https://files.catbox.moe/koeluh.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

So we’ve proven that male characters are allowed to be chubby and still be sympathetic, what about female characters?

persona 2 had miyabi hanakouji, who's end to her subplot was the guy she likes freaking out because she hurt herself to make herself look more appealing for him and he just wanted her to be happy

and then uh, several years later persona 4 had a selfish ugly fat comic relief girl

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 3, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rune factory frontier has eunice who you can marry, the game gives you a choice whether to suggest she should go on a diet or not and if you don't, then she just. stays fat. for the rest of the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
monolith in 2000: here's an fps about a spy lady having to deal with 60s workplace discrimination because of her coworkers thinking she's just a pretty face, entirely getting by on her skills as an agent

monolith in 2017: shelob manipulates people with her giant titty

al-azad posted:

On the other hand I think translators take comic relief characters as a personal challenge to give them the best dialog because I refuse to believe Margarita is half as interesting in the Japanese version.

tbh cold steel isn't a fair example because hatsuu is possibly the best editor in the business and her localization projects are kind of consistently better than the original writing. cold steel is like, in the running for the single best jrpg dub ever recorded, i don't think there are a lot of people in localization who are as in touch with the good parts of every individual character in a game as she is, and definitely none who keep a loving spreadsheet of every single minor npc in a 5+ game-long franchise

xseed in general is crazy and i think most editors there are in a similar running, for having an absurdly good sense for character writing and comedy. zwei 2 was totally different staff and that was also like, a ridiculously good localization

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 3, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most badass thing about the editor for the trails series is the one time she just randomly went back and released a patch for trails in the sky on steam that polished a bunch of clunkier lines of totally random dialog. not for any particular reason, just cause she could

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ellie was ok, too bad as far as i played she got less focus than scooter, who's entire characterization in borderlands 2 was wanting to gently caress his cousins

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

bad memories

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is that the Platinum game, or is that a different Granblue console game.

the platinum one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat spider-man 2

it's actually like. still legit a really fun game. it's a complete mess that's constantly just about to break but then just barely works enough to be really fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you click to edit colors in ds4windows and pick this one in the bottom left corner that'll turn the controller light off

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drat. spider-man 2 was already kinda shaky so i guess i shouldn't be surprised that hulk: ultimate destruction runs badly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

Where's Amy

amy's cool in sonic advance so i'd replay mania if she were added

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
destiny 2 + one iconic destiny 2 shader

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xfm-IDo4Eg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried emulating r-type final but for some reason pcsx2 was closing every time i pressed start so i googled it and it turned out steam mapped my controller to keyboard inputs this morning despite that being a feature i've never touched in my life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i really like r-type final's atmosphere and its weird stage gimmicks but its design is really goddamn tedious, it moves way too slow for checkpoints to not be horrible. i'll probably just drift through it with invincibility cause it's more fun for all the weird stuff it does than for being an actually well-built shmup like gradius v or r-type delta

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The Capcom x Sega humble bundle that had REmake and Code Veronica coupled with the psn sale with all the RE games on sale has got me thinking I should play other ones that aren't just RE4.

the only classic REs you need to play are REmake and 2 tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQOj-PZL9U&t=529s

if you never encountered this bug you never played a real spider-man game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rarity posted:

I finished WarioWare, it was a fun way to spend a few hours and a great selling point for the Wii's motion controls. It really gives you an idea of the kinda games that are possible.

I'm now playing Gears of War 1 which is I think the most aggressively manly man game for bros to play while they're broing it bro-style and while the graphics are definitely a step up on recent games I've played there's also a huge lack of colour. Despite those issues I'm still having a good time. The characters who aren't Marcus Fenix are good and the early death rate was pretty shocking. Plus it's got a gun which lets you fire a laser from space and I always be here for that kinda thing.

look forward to gears of war 2, a game that's sandwiched between being really over-the-top goofy and cliffyb deciding to make a statement about keeping people in a vegetative state on life support, and gears of war 3, in which cliffyb heard someone say characters being sad was deep

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gears of war is amazing for how much it lacks a coherent identity. there were like three sides calling the shots on it creatively and one of them was a lovely tie-in novel writer who got a weird amount of sway in the series' storytelling choices (who then made it canon that the military in gears of war institutes rape camps), one of them was cliffy b shoving his personal views and ideas into really bizarre areas, and the third was a bunch of game designers who clearly just didn't give a single solitary poo poo making incredibly dumb military shoot games where you chainsaw worm guts and a guy yells about being the cole train

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't the Gears series have political statements about the Iraq war buried in them somewhere?

cliffyb was a man with creative power over a game franchise who was very willing to write in his views on things that he got from other people

Rarity posted:

From all I've heard about CliffyB in the last year I can't understand how he ended up holding the reins for one of last-gens biggest AAA franchises.

he did some good maps for unreal once

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

sturmwind ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

never having children

once again, being gay is my pro strategy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/1tuzlv.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the puyo puyo rhythm game for the dreamcast loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5VWyG2xKw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sony's iconic character, Big Daddy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope that for playstation all-stars 2, sony remembers their most important icon, who's been there for them all of these years but always forgotten

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
HEY SPIDEY

YOU DA MAAAN!

(the yellow marker, is a car driving through a building)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
we are all the one random guy in spider-man 2 for the gamecube who randomly shouts "THE WEBSLINGER"

LOCKPICKING IS AN ART... AND YOU CAN'T RUSH ART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't wait to replay spider-man 3 and constantly have guys ask me to deliver their fruit pies

• Locked thread