Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Nobody in Overwatch is ugly. Everyone has a design meant to cater to a specific demographic in terms of their physical appearance. At least that's how I felt looking at the base cast. Dunno if Blizzard added more unconventional characters in terms of appearance down the line but I doubt it. This is the company felt the need to make the mutated master of evil space bugs sexy.

I really don't know if its true, its one of those things I just heard repeated often enough that I just assume it as fact. Its funny enough that I want it to be true at least.

EDIT: I gave Blizzard credit for making Ana an old lady and then took that credit away when she had a skin that made her a conventionally attractive young woman like every other character.

You're very picky, but Moira is a type you don't see too often either. I'd love a legit porker of a woman in OW though. I'm sure they'll get there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I bought Destiny 2 for $12. I also bought an Overwatch skin for $15. I'm pretty pleased with both purchases.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

DisDisDis posted:

I'm really tempted by cheap D2 because I haven't enjoyed a singleplayer/pve fps in years and Destiny at least has lots of non hitscan enemies and I love the Halo campaigns but man, so much about it seems so incredibly lovely

So like I'm not a picky gamer, but I also don't love every game I try out either. I didn't play Destiny 1 at all. I've played Destiny 2 solo now up through level 7. It feels very Halo. I like the hub worlds where enemies just spawn periodically and other players are milling about and you can just shoot poo poo. The story is fine. It's all pretty chill and fun. It's definitely gonna get stale in another 10 hours. I don't give a poo poo about the cosmetic stuff that's all microtransactiony but I get it if people are.

I dunno, it's fun. It's whatever. I paid $12. That's an insane level of content and quality for that price. It's a very chill shooting game. It's not near as good of gameplay as Titanfall 2, but nothing really is. It's good. It's fine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Those are enemies.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996085567120175105

A half-hour later

https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996093337672273920

So did most of the employees at Boss Key have to find out the company was kaput at the same time we all did?

I've been through 3 studio closures. Generally speaking, when a studio is in immediate danger, management is fighting for a deal to extend the runway long or short term. Making payroll and continuing production become primary short term goals. It is a sad dance, this, because in order to make payroll and ensure survival you're either looking to investors/publishers for a long term contract, funding injection, or a short term bridge funding loan to help the company limp along while a long term deal is negotiated. In order for any of this to be successful, you need to have employees present and you need to be able to show investors that you are making progress.

This means that the easiest way (if lamest) to do this is to not tell your employees specifically how close you are to the edge. "We're hoping for good news in the next couple weeks." That kind of stuff. If a CEO came out and was like "we'll be bankrupt in a month, FYI" then everyone jumps ship and then the company has 0% chance instead of 10% or whatever. It's easy to sit here and go "Well duh BossKey shut down durr" but based on my experiences and what I know re Cliffyb's network, I bet he's had a dozen deals to fund the company at least in the past month form and fizzle on him. Every one contingent on keeping a workforce present. No one wants to fund an empty company.

I suspect this was the ACTUAL purpose of Radical Heights. I'm sure they would've been overjoyed if it had suddenly gone viral but I'm pretty confident that they released it as bait to investors more than as a money making product. "We made Lawbreakers, which was good but bad luck/timing, and look we just launched only 3rd to market in the biggest genre worldwide." It was a portfolio piece to enhance how they looked.

Now, as an employee, none of this is your problem. That is, you shouldn't ever feel compelled to stay with an employer who has tipped the symbiotic employment arrangement. Without knowing anything of what went on behind their doors, I can say that I would've started job hunting as soon as Lawbreakers' numbers looked like they weren't gonna bounce. I'm confident that that character artist up there was actively looking for new work, but there aren't a ton of employers in that area, which is good for BossKey, but not great for people looking for life rafts.

Edit: For a game produced in the middle of a death spiral, I'm impressed that Radical Heights is as good as it is, frankly. That's pretty impressive.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, only in that it's harder to find open mid-to-upper management positions on short notice, yeah.

I forgot, the other option is, of course, trying to get acquired/bought. Those deals usually require even more secrecy for legal and other reasons though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, he's not wrong about that. Most devs I know talk openly about how they make games (1) for themselves and (2) for the silent group that they hope are the majority.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wasn't Powerstone on the dreamcast? Anyway Ecco The Dolphin's Pro Dolphin Flipper 2 was on there too, so dreamcast wins.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd just make Super Metroid again only I'd give Samus a girlfriend

Please do

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the reaction to the latest battlefield trailer is absolutely loving hilarious

"A WOMAN!>!>>!>?? IN MY BATTLEFIELD???!?"

"ITS SO UNREALISTIC!!"

haha loving nerds are the worst man. It actually looks fun and if they follow through on their no premium pass no paid dlc maps then it'll probably be the best battlefield in years

They're fun because they're suuuuper easy to dunk on on Twitter. Godspeed, BattlefieldV. I hope it does well sans lootboxes et al.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

chumbler posted:

Nintendo had better announce a Linkle game at e3.

This won't happen but if Linkle isn't in Smash Switch then I'm going to smh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He's been doing the ever-popular "I dunno why all you MEDIA TYPES are being SO MEAN to me, Sheesh!" act today.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey Bartender! I'll have a One-Eyed Blinder on the rocks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is that a real quote? Because that's awesome. I mean, Japan has plenty of its own hang ups but that's a good quote.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

June is the tsundere one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Housh posted:

I’m charging up my 3DS. I think it’s been 2 years since I turned it on.

Isabelle gonna have words.

• Locked thread