Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I spent the last two hours playing Bullet Witch. Today was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Omigod never read Steam comments. Re: Lara Croft's model in the new Tomb Raider game.

Back when MGS4 came out and I browsed GameFAQs regularly their forums were full of posts identical to this and worse regarding the character of Meryl (especially regarding that wedding scene near the end of the game).

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

The reddit redesigns of Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Back in 2011 or whenever the Mortal Kombat reboot came out there were, of all things, deviantart redesigns of Sonya Blade floating around too making her more ~~feminine~~.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I recall Frank West being a pretty plain looking guy in the first Dead Rising and the reimagining of 2. He was later turned into a Hot Dad in 4 though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Isn't his foot supposed to be broken?

It's been over a decade since I last played the first Dead Rising but I think he gets injured when he jumps off the helicopter during the intro despite the game never (?) making a big deal about it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I started God of War (2018) today and it's pretty good so far but what's caught my attention is how much it builds off the Batman Arkham design structure - specifically Asylum's more linear approach compared to the bloat in later entries. It got me thinking about what a huge influence it has been on the industry since the original came out nearly 9 years ago.

GUI fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 5, 2018

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I liked the old Spider-man video game where he'd slowly turn into a skeleton as he took damage.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Man Epic games has more loving unsuccessful login attempts than any other of my game accounts. I get an email almost daily telling me some script kiddie is trying to get in to the loving thing.

Activate two factor sign in and it'll go away.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dom's death in Gears of War 3 is still the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I remember a guy at a place I worked at showing me his Gears of War arm tattoo (it was the cog symbol) and telling me how much it owned but how it went to poo poo once "they killed Dom."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

The bit where Gilgamesh rejects Istar is probably one of my favorite bits of writing in general.
Its not often you get to read about someone destroying another person by describing them as a lovely back door.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is only marginally related but across multiple myths Ishtar's go-to threat when things don't go her way is to smash the doors of the underworld so the dead come back and outnumber the living but never even once does she do it

Like, the epic describing a hero fixing that mess practically writes itself. loving Sumerians never fired Chekhov's gun

Asura's Wrath was a good game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The pacing in God of War 2018 is glacial, especially in regards to plot development. I'm probably around 10 hours in having focused completely on the main path, just had the severed head talk to the serpent and according to a walkthrough I just checked that's barely halfway through the game. The overall gameplay is solid, but not 30 hours good and after 5 hours the repetition had settled in and I'm ready for it to be over.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is it this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn0E7KnrjtE

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I miss the calm.jpg avatars from yesteryear.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The charm of Pagan Min is that unlike every other antagonist in the franchise he's hilarious and genuinely wants the main character (and by extension you, the player) to like him despite the fact that he's an awful human being.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In Training posted:

Booting up Skyrim with mods to keep it stealthy

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Motto posted:

The neo-neogaf thread on this is awful as hell both ways, but this was funny

"Is this a ploy by the NRA to have more kids playing with guns and not themselves?"

quote:

I already represent myself as a cutesy anime girl in online spaces like VRChat and MMORPGs. I can only wonder what will happen when I no longer need that form of escapism from the real world, because people will actually be able to look like that in real life.

With the kind of panic that happens over anime characters who have eyes bigger than their boobs. It's a wonder I haven't been banned for my avatar yet.
Like, are we as a society going to ban surgeries that make people look too "shota-like" or "loli-like"? Like, we all talk about how bodily autonomy is absolute, and you should be able to do whatever you want with your body. But when I go into threads like this and it's the same old "lol they're probably just banning those creepy "she's actually 1000 years old" flat pedoshit games, good."

Things are going to get interesting, and probably scary, when the world starts to look a bit more like VRChat and people no longer feel the need to escape into virtual worlds and video games, because real life is good enough. Because I can say for a fact that there are many people who play VRChat for the fact they can finally feel like a cute "actually 6,000 year old" anime loli. I talked to someone who said that being able to do so prevented them from wanting to commit suicide.

That also brings to mind the question, when people talk about "young looking" characters and how it is wrong, to the point it's actually a bannable offense to defend these character designs here. I'm not sure what actual physical features people think are so inappropriate. If you're okay with sexy characters having flat chests, are big eyes a thing you have a problem with? Should short people not be attractive to anyone? Broader shoulders? Do flat faces just look underage to you?

It'd be nice if people would actually describe in concrete terms what physical features they thing are immoral for sexual appeal. What physical features does a character have to have in order for it to be okay to sexualize them? If it's not about eyes, breasts, shoulders, or even hips or height, I don't know what physical feature people are actually calling immoral and disgusting.

Anime characters tend to have big eyes, is that so bad?

I'm not gonna lie. If I could be as cute in real life as I play in online games, in VR or otherwise, I would do it instantly, no questions asked. In fact I would probably lose a lot of escapism and motivation to play. But I'm not so sure I'll live to that, so at least I have video games, anime, music, all sorts of things to express myself. And even if I do live to see that day, looking at these types of threads and the direct they're go. I'm not actually sure it'll be legal for me to look as cute as I want to look, even if I do live that long that I don't have to rely in games and VR to do it. Like, when people say they believe that bodily autonomy is absolute, I'm not sure that they believe it. If I am ever able to do to my body what I personally think is attractive. I don't think people will think is a right.

:stonklol:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So I was doing my annual browsing of my website's FTP server which is basically a dumping ground I've had since 2006 and I found this classic YCS comic from a decade ago

Also whatever this is which I'm fairly sure I posted in that (also YCS) thread that made fun of lovely webcomics. Enjoy 2008 gamer humor.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm diggin how if people want the Dude Cover for BFV they have to buy the Deluxe Edition which costs more. That's a pretty (unintentionally) genius move from EA.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's probably the most ethical thing I've ever seen a company do, ever.

I mean, it's good PR.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Capcom had a good run in the early days of the HD generation when Dead Rising and Lost Planet didn't have a lot of competition, Mega Man 9 doing 8 bit seemed unique and then RE5 and SF4 both sold really well. They tried to branch out by publishing a bunch of Western developed games (Dark Void, Bionic Commando and eventually DmC) which all sucked and lost them a lot of money. They really mismanaged both the Lost Planet and Dead Rising sequels which killed one franchise and has really capped out the other. Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end but IIRC they spent a ton of money making it and it didn't really work out for them. Now on any Capcom game that isn't mainline RE or MH you can realllllllly feel the budget. Street Fighter x Tekken, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have all been disastrous out of the gate and had huge money grabs in them and it's hard to see where they go from here fighting games wise. I remain hopeful for Devil May Cry 5.

To add to this they were extremely obtrusive with the development of their Western games - Bionic Commando 2009's storyline was butchered and the tone of the game was supposed to be lighter, but Capcom kept insisting Western audiences liked more serious settings which led to the finished game's constant switching of comedy/serious with very little in-between and things like the main character's design. DmC was in a similar situation with them constantly rejecting designs for being "too Japanese."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I really enjoyed ghost trick and the original phoenix wright games

I'm playing through apollo justice at the moment and man everybody just always seems to be clowning on apollo (only just got to the first real case) and I kinda wish he'd stand up for himself a little more because it just feels like he's letting himself get pushed around by everyone else.

5 and 6 greatly develop Apollo's character but the downside is Capcom caving in and bringing Phoenix back as a playable character alongside someone else, so he ends up sharing screentime with two other playable characters and his development greatly suffers as a result.

• Locked thread