Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mustached Demon posted:

Resurrecting this thread to say I defeated Gwyn.

Nice work, skeleton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Resurrecting this thread to say I defeated Gwyn. He's a definite jump up in difficulty with how fast and aggressive he is. Tried to dance around a stalagmite with him, got him down to "Gwyn," then died because I mistimed a grab.

Then I practiced parrying on the long sword black knights. They have a similar enough swing pattern to Gwyn. Made quick work of him and didn't even need to hide behind a pillar to heal.

Finally, I learned defeating him is the point of no return and need to either reroll or ng+ to do the dlc. Oh well.

as someone else who was new to dark souls, you owe it to yourself to play the DLC. if you enjoyed fighting gwyn, artorias is next-level.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t beat the dlc until years after on a second run but it’s absolutely worth it whenever you get to it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I started a new character. Gonna do a dex run with pyromancy. Probably gonna wear big rear end armor too because clunking around owns.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Somebody should maybe change the thread title. Sure, we can all return to Lordran any time we like, but the capital R Return to Lordran 2024 event has been over for a minute.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Playing Dark Souls 2, and I am at Heide's Tower of Flame. I get invaded.

This mages comes up to me, drop multiple weapons, all +10 or +5. Drops this Mad Warrior's Set, also all +5. They bow and walk off a cliff.

Somehow, I am more scared of this than if they attacked me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Arivia posted:

as someone else who was new to dark souls, you owe it to yourself to play the DLC. if you enjoyed fighting gwyn, artorias is next-level.

Artorias is such a good fight that every subsequent game in the series has multiple bosses that reference his moveset.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Everyone keeps saying that, and I honestly have no memory of Artorias' moveset, or anything of note about him, at all. I just held up a big shield and then hit him when he stopped moving, as per every other boss.

Dark souls might be amazing in certain ways, but its persistence of allowing a variety of playstyles really lets people cheat themselves out of a lot of fun. I'm almost completely finished DS3 currently and I've inadvertently veto'd half of the bosses, from using scripted NPC fights, OP weapons, white phantoms, etc. That last one is on me, but the others really weren't. As a contrast, Sekiro was great in that there's no way you're getting past a given boss without actually engaging with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a neat bit of moveset consistency going on between Artorias, Ornstein and Gwyn. They all have a gap closer attack where they rise up into the air, the rocket down towards you. It's often the first thing you see Gwyn do. It's basically the Anor Londo signature move. I bet it has applications in dragon slaying or something.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Found the balder knight straight sword so guess I'm using that. Which is cool because the early black knights hate me and never drop weapons.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Found the balder knight straight sword so guess I'm using that. Which is cool because the early black knights hate me and never drop weapons.

Isn’t it nice when a dex build comes together just like that?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Mustached Demon posted:

Be careful, it's cursed.

Its range, scaling, and moveset are impossible to relinquish. It's the synthesis of minmax and intuitive play.

Seriously though, it's also great for desperate pvp moments. Backup and slash to gently caress backstabbers, skewer to punish, with optional double (kinda tracking) skewer. You can enchant it and use it with a shield!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BRJurgis posted:

Be careful, it's cursed.

Its range, scaling, and moveset are impossible to relinquish. It's the synthesis of minmax and intuitive play.

Seriously though, it's also great for desperate pvp moments. Backup and slash to gently caress backstabbers, skewer to punish, with optional double (kinda tracking) skewer. You can enchant it and use it with a shield!

Weakness: it's not a club so I'll at least switch out to bash things that need a bashin'.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I really want to like the silver knight set but I just can't get over the welcome mat it has draped over the back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cape physics are difficult ok? That's why you trim the Balder armour down when you pick it up.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Everyone keeps saying that, and I honestly have no memory of Artorias' moveset, or anything of note about him, at all. I just held up a big shield and then hit him when he stopped moving, as per every other boss.

Dark souls might be amazing in certain ways, but its persistence of allowing a variety of playstyles really lets people cheat themselves out of a lot of fun. I'm almost completely finished DS3 currently and I've inadvertently veto'd half of the bosses, from using scripted NPC fights, OP weapons, white phantoms, etc. That last one is on me, but the others really weren't. As a contrast, Sekiro was great in that there's no way you're getting past a given boss without actually engaging with it.

Im not a big fan of DS3 but I will say that of the original 3 it definitely has some if my favorite boss fights.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

I do think using coop/suommons does make the game too easy but I think it's a great option for new players. I usually never use them in first runs because for me it ruins the experience but it's great that it's there for those that need it.
It's no surprise Sekiro is the game that had the most discussion about easy mode + accessibility in a From game.

As for the person playing the game for the first time, yes please play the dlc. Fromsoft's DLC are almost always their best content. I know everyone brings up Artorias but Manus is another top tier fight in the series that often gets forgotten about due to the quantity of amazing bosses. Just because Artorias also has that emotional story with Sif, people always remember that fight more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kalameet is a great fight too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yes probably the best Dragon fight in the series.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I felt bad, like why am I fighting this dragon? It was the final freaking thing at the end of a long game, and this dragon is just, like, doing its own thing in the woods. It didn't even breathe fire at me, just a jumpscare at the bridge! So I got a giant to shoot it in passing, and tracked it down to the rear end-end of nowhere where it wasn't even guarding anything. So yea, after he kicked my rear end a few times I felt maybe he'd earnt his retirement, cough cough.

But more seriously, a few fights are like that. Like the Andariel bosses, both OG and ds3 dlc. Why am I fighting this person again, all they want is to be left alone and its not as if I need to harvest their soul to save the world or anything. I don't need this level of nihilism in my power fantasy video games!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
If we had let the dragons just do their own thing this would still be a land of grey crags and archtrees.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dyz posted:

If we had let the dragons just do their own thing this would still be a land of grey crags and archtrees.

Idk the fire showed up by itself. Gwynn and the others then decided to go kill all the dragons and take over.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dyz posted:

I'm guessing the dragons were being assholes to gywn.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

I felt bad, like why am I fighting this dragon? It was the final freaking thing at the end of a long game, and this dragon is just, like, doing its own thing in the woods. It didn't even breathe fire at me, just a jumpscare at the bridge! So I got a giant to shoot it in passing, and tracked it down to the rear end-end of nowhere where it wasn't even guarding anything. So yea, after he kicked my rear end a few times I felt maybe he'd earnt his retirement, cough cough.

But more seriously, a few fights are like that. Like the Andariel bosses, both OG and ds3 dlc. Why am I fighting this person again, all they want is to be left alone and its not as if I need to harvest their soul to save the world or anything. I don't need this level of nihilism in my power fantasy video games!

Murderhobo energy propels me to kill everything past a fog door.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Serephina posted:

As a contrast, Sekiro was great in that there's no way you're getting past a given boss without actually engaging with it.

I played sekiro on PC and for most of the bosses I found it enjoyable, but I had to resort to a cheat engine for the big purple ape because his behaviour was just way too unpredictable and erratic, and I still get angry thinking about him. just the polar opposite of the prince(?) on top of the castle, which was incredibly satisfying and also all about rhythm and patterns that you could master. gently caress that possessed ape

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ulvir posted:

I played sekiro on PC and for most of the bosses I found it enjoyable, but I had to resort to a cheat engine for the big purple ape because his behaviour was just way too unpredictable and erratic, and I still get angry thinking about him. just the polar opposite of the prince(?) on top of the castle, which was incredibly satisfying and also all about rhythm and patterns that you could master. gently caress that possessed ape

Weirdly, I found possessed ape way, way easier than the first form. Actually he and the guy atop the tower were two of the only bosses in Souls history where I found the second phase way easier than the first.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Serephina posted:

You fight Manus because you did in ancient history. The abyss would have spread further if you didn’t. Dusks presence in the current timeline is proof. You didn’t really have a choice.

You fight Father Ariandel and Sister Friede because they refuse to let go and let their world burn so it can be reborn by the Painter. The crows are rotting and miserable and are hollowing. You fight Gael so the painted world can be painted with soul pigment from every goddamn person in the pygmy-human line.

You fight Priscilla because you decide to be a dick :mad:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I fight her because she's a big fat liar who thinks the inhabitants of the Painted World are nice. Lady, you got a basement full of bonewheels.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love sir vilhelm and I think he has such an outsized impact on my appreciation of these games because he points out precisely why I thr player am loving around in this world. Like maybe his and his master's goals and methods are basically bad too, and so he's a being a little of a hypocrite, but he's right about me!

quote:

I've seen your kind, time and time again.
Every fleeing man must be caught. Every secret must be unearthed.
Such is the conceit of the self-proclaimed seeker of truth.
But in the end, you lack the stomach.
For the agony you'll bring upon yourself...

Of course, the player wouldn't even be in the painted world if I hadn't gotten sucked in by Gael, and he presumably wouldn't be sending me there if Friede hadn't taken over and put the little painting girl under house arrest or whatever.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 25, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I put ds2 and 3 on my steam list. Hopefully they hit the summer sale or something.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

They go on sale more often than not, I'm sure some site will have an Easter Sale soon and mark stuff down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
if you're not using it yet, isthereanydeal is a good website for finding sales on steam key resellers as well (you can tell it which websites you're comfortable buying from if you find something too shady, and it can import your steam wishlist.)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I put ds2 and 3 on my steam list. Hopefully they hit the summer sale or something.

Be sure to get the Scholar of the First Sin edition of DS2. The vanilla version has no online play anymore.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

The crows are rotting and miserable and are hollowing.

And pooping, don't forget the poop tails

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

axolotl farmer posted:

Be sure to get the Scholar of the First Sin edition of DS2. The vanilla version has no online play anymore.

Yeah I planned on making sure all the dlc/correct editions are the ones on sale. Thanks!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's probably about time I got around to DS3 after playing Sekiro and all the other souls games available on PC, I keep clicking by it in my steam library and saying "...maybe next week" for more weeks than I can remember now.
It's almost Easter though so I do also want to get around to making a Jesus character build in DS1 and turn Dark Souls into Light Souls.

I assume they eventually fixed up that vulnerability that allowed invaders to literally take control of your PC from a couple years ago? I can't believe it's been that long since I played any of these games.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Can y'all recommend some good blind LPs on youtube?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Blind, you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwypOnQ9nDw

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 10, 2024

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Finnish Flasher posted:

Can y'all recommend some good blind LPs on youtube?

Geop did a blind LP, haven't seen it myself but gotta plug SA first :D

https://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Geop's LP got me into dark souls but 75% because HE NEVER LOOKED AT THE drat SCENERY