Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I like Geop and Vicas but that LP drove me nuts because at least early on Geop goes at an agonizing crawl expecting instant death around every corner, and obviously Vicas wasn't going to spoil anything, which led to a vicious cycle of "oh boy, I bet something's waiting around this corner to kill me dead :ohdear:" - > "I dunno, maybe? Gonna have to find out..." - > "Phew, there was nothing...uh oh, what about this next corner?? :ohdear: :ohdear:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kay Plays Dark Souls is still the gold standard to me, mostly because while it starts a bit slow she really picks up on connecting things like locations and items down the road.
First episode was this one I think, again it starts slow and it's been years since I watched it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Zedd posted:

Kay Plays Dark Souls is still the gold standard to me, mostly because while it starts a bit slow she really picks up on connecting things like locations and items down the road.
First episode was this one I think, again it starts slow and it's been years since I watched it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

This is charming. Fun to watch her beat her head against every failsafe in the tutorial level.

E: “oh wait, these guys come back if you sit around, I guess??” Tee hee

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 10, 2024

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

She just beat asylum demon without rolling knowing how to roll

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 10, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Did everything except Gywn on my dex/pyro/balder sword build. Onward to DLC! Artorias is definitely a step up in difficulty. Haven't quite figured out how to consistently stagger his aoe. Ground up my dex to 40 thinking I'll lob fireballs at him faster.

Speaking of fires, wowzers pyromancy owns vs everything not fire themed.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You can burn down Artorias with one optimized fire tempest and a few fireballs if you want to go easy mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of blind videos, I wonder if people that started with later From games have an easier or harder time going to this one on average.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of blind videos, I wonder if people that started with later From games have an easier or harder time going to this one on average.

I originally bounced off hard when the prepare to die edition came out. Then came back now after Elden Ring.

My take was it made DS1 easier--especially the bosses. Things move way slower than ER (except Gywn/DLC). Attack patterns are simpler and it feels like the parry window is larger. None of that delayed swing motion either. DS1 has more dungeon challenges with nothing like the Anor Londo rooftop or Blighttown descent in ER.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

I originally bounced off hard when the prepare to die edition came out. Then came back now after Elden Ring.

My take was it made DS1 easier--especially the bosses. Things move way slower than ER (except Gywn/DLC). Attack patterns are simpler and it feels like the parry window is larger. None of that delayed swing motion either. DS1 has more dungeon challenges with nothing like the Anor Londo rooftop or Blighttown descent in ER.

my experience was pretty much the same. never could get into any of the souls games until I finally played through ER and 'got it'

Had a pretty easy first playthrough of DS1, died way more to ledges and the environment then any of the bosses at least until I hit the DLC.

Ive beat DS1 4 times since then and its crazy how much shorter it feels once you know how to run through the levels. First time through Sens fortress probably took me a good 2-3 hours, now I can run through it in about 10-15 minutes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Got back into Elden Ring a week or two ago, and I remembered I installed DS1Remastered because I never did the DLC when I played through PTDE (didn't want to tackle it on NG+).

I left off in the Catacombs, and managed to beat Gaping Dragon after a few tries. Once you manage to cut the tail off, you can trivialize the boss by just waiting for the slam attack and then circling around to the tail stump and attacking after the charge. Most annoying part is just how long it takes to finish the fight.

Another reason why I picked up DS1R again is to do co-op. With Elden Ring, I'm playing that on PS5, and I'm not currently subscribed to PSPlus, so I don't have access to multiplayer. I've put down a couple summons signs near the Catacombs bonfire and near the the Gaping Dragon, but so far, I've only been summoned once after ten minutes of waiting. Does DS1R have something like the connectivity mod for PTDE that'll show you who's in range?

I'm also wondering if I should work my way back up to the surface and do some prep before descending to Blighttown. Right now, the most powerful weapon I've got is the Long Sword +4. However, the character I'm playing I'm trying to gear towards using magic & pyromancy. A long term goal is to get the Moonlight Greatsword and rank up in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant (I know those abilities scale off FTH, but I've always wanted to throw lightning bolts).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sure if you're aware, but pyromancy in DS1 has no stat scaling at all - it's purely based off your weapon (aka flame) enchantment and so the only interaction with magic is how they compete for attunnement slots. I suppose if you're cranking dex for cast speed there's that too, but that's a lot of stat smearing.

Maybe the Gaping dragon just isn't a popular spot? It's in the middle of nowhere iirc.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gaping Dragon is an optional boss. I think many seasoned players get the Master key and go to Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes instead.

It’s also one of the easiest bosses in the game, so not a good spot for jolly cooperation.

Best spot to farm Sunlight medals is probably Anor Londo on the way to Ornstein & Smough.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Gaping Dragon already has an enormous HP pool for that stage of the game, I'm definitely not adding more by summoning someone who might die to the first charge attack like a dummy

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wrong thread

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS1R isn't necessarily a ghost town, but I would not expect a ton of online activity outside the greatest hits. Which is pretty much just O+S in my experience.

I struggled to get bites during Return to Lordran. Random off-season, good luck.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Gaping dragon is easy. And I summon for easy bosses like him, or Bell Gargoyles, or Last Giant, or most of the DS2 roster, or any of the various mini dungeon bosses in Elden Ring, specifically to give other people Content.

I will also summon for Midir specifically because it makes the boss more difficult.

Everyone else, I find more fun solo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Serephina posted:

Not sure if you're aware, but pyromancy in DS1 has no stat scaling at all - it's purely based off your weapon (aka flame) enchantment and so the only interaction with magic is how they compete for attunnement slots. I suppose if you're cranking dex for cast speed there's that too, but that's a lot of stat smearing.

Maybe the Gaping dragon just isn't a popular spot? It's in the middle of nowhere iirc.

I thought Pyromancy scaled with you current humanity stat?

John Murdoch posted:

DS1R isn't necessarily a ghost town, but I would not expect a ton of online activity outside the greatest hits. Which is pretty much just O+S in my experience.

I struggled to get bites during Return to Lordran. Random off-season, good luck.

axolotl farmer posted:

Gaping Dragon is an optional boss. I think many seasoned players get the Master key and go to Blighttown through the Valley of Drakes instead.

It’s also one of the easiest bosses in the game, so not a good spot for jolly cooperation.

Best spot to farm Sunlight medals is probably Anor Londo on the way to Ornstein & Smough.

I got a second match-up after my post, but yeah, bosses like O+S are probably more popular.

O+S is something I'm worried about, because my goal is to get all the achievements, and part of that is defeating both of them separately, since you need both their souls for the rare weapons, and you can't really coordinate that in co-op.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Max Wilco posted:

I thought Pyromancy scaled with you current humanity stat?
That's Chaos damage, and that doesn't apply to the Chaos pyromancies

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm playing DS1 now and it's certainly easier. Annoying that I keep getting far, and it's too far, locked door. I like to play them pretty blind, but I've never gotten all red lights before in a castle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mescal posted:

I'm playing DS1 now and it's certainly easier. Annoying that I keep getting far, and it's too far, locked door. I like to play them pretty blind, but I've never gotten all red lights before in a castle game.
Is this what going hollow is