Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mmm, symbiote cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1001359022224797696

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Stuff like that always makes me sad because it seems to imply that comics work isn't fulfilling creative work and if they could, most creators would rather work in the more popular, lucrative fields of television and Hollywood.

Hard to blame someone from wanting a bigger audience and more money, but if you love comics for comics' sake, it's a little disheartening.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assume it's linked to some of his stuff getting optioned by Amazon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Stuff like that always makes me sad because it seems to imply that comics work isn't fulfilling creative work and if they could, most creators would rather work in the more popular, lucrative fields of television and Hollywood.

Hard to blame someone from wanting a bigger audience and more money, but if you love comics for comics' sake, it's a little disheartening.

I mean I know very few people in animation or comics who think they're healthy or lucrative industries. But that's more to do with socio economic factors and how little artists are valued than the medium itself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that if comic book creators maintained a degree of control and were guaranteed a cut of derivative works based off their comics, the way manga artists do and are, they'd be better off

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat, if only someone tried to start a comic company with that radical philosophy in mind, they'd be dominating the marketplace right now and everyone involved would be rich

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

drat, if only someone tried to start a comic company with that radical philosophy in mind, they'd be dominating the marketplace right now and everyone involved would be rich

Have you heard of Crossgen?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

:wth:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think that if comic book creators maintained a degree of control and were guaranteed a cut of derivative works based off their comics, the way manga artists do and are, they'd be better off

Right but the other problem in the comics industry is indie people killing themselves working 6+ days a week on top of a day job to make bunkus on low selling stuff, and following the manga model is the opposite way to solve that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The pro-strat is to have a full-time job and just post pages online whenever you can and maybe ask for a ko-fi or have a Patreon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Right but the other problem in the comics industry is indie people killing themselves working 6+ days a week on top of a day job to make bunkus on low selling stuff, and following the manga model is the opposite way to solve that.
I don't know what you're talking about this seems totally reasonable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

The pro-strat is to have a full-time job and just post pages online whenever you can and maybe ask for a ko-fi or have a Patreon

I mean if you're hot you can just ditch the whole comic part of that equation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
You can always say "woman suck, POC suck, suppory my kickstarter" and take the money and run

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Guy Goodbody posted:

Where do you think Jonathan Hickman has been putting out books for the past year?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Your gimmick is really played out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My controversial opinion is I think a good start would be paying creators page rates that are actually livable wages and giving benefits

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

Where do you think Jonathan Hickman has been putting out books for the past year?

I have no idea

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

As someone who buys all his books I am also wondering this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have no idea
I am not sure if you have heard of Image because it isn't a Japanese publisher but all of their books are 100% creator owned and controlled in terms of licensing and other things.

They are the third largest publisher in the United Stated behind Marvel and DC.

Jonathan Hickman has been putting out his (creator owned and controlled) comics via Image for over a decade, and after Secret Wars wrapped up at the end of 2015 has been the only publisher Hickman has been producing American comic books for.

American comic books that he owns and controls and actually sell quite well but despite selling well do not make nearly as much money for him and his collaborators as doing the same thing as a television series or film, which if he does get those made would involve him and his collaborators getting the money, not Image or another publisher.

Hickman has spent quite a bit of time in the past year or two working to adapt these comic books that he has published through Image and retains creative and financial control over into television and film, which is more lucrative. While even the options/pay might have been quite decent for writing in these formats, nothing has actually been produced and therefore his 'potential' energy has not been converted into a finished product nearly as swiftly or reliably as when he writes scripts for comics that he maintains creative and financial control over but are more directly converted into published material.

I do love your Square Peg Hammering of Volleyball Manga though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't know that about Image, that's cool. Snotgirl is one of my favorite American comics. I'm not a big Avengers fan so I don't follow Hickman's stuff.

But I think my point still stands, those practices should be done at the big comic companies too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1001520622898327552

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not a big Avengers fan so I don't follow Hickman's stuff.

That's 5% of his output, and ended years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Synthbuttrange posted:

mmm, symbiote cheese

"We are the Cheese! We are the best character on the show!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HeroicGirls/status/1001161285994676226

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the whole thread of the poster acknowledging that it's a stolen idea, but never actually editing an attribution in.

site posted:

how do you edit tweets

Ah. Pardon if you can't.
Still pretty lame to jack something instead of just linking. You could still make it your own with a comment.

HOLD MINOR UNIMPORTANT SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTABLE!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how do you edit tweets

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I didn't know that about Image, that's cool. Snotgirl is one of my favorite American comics. I'm not a big Avengers fan so I don't follow Hickman's stuff.
But I think my point still stands, those practices should be done at the big comic companies too.
Creator participation in the creation of new characters has been a thing at Marvel and DC (the only two companies bigger than Image) since the 1980s, and while I grant you it would be good for this to exist across the board, how exactly would you apply the Best Practices of the Manga Industry in a world where there are already several thousand stores produced by hundreds of people starring the X-Men, Avengers, Batman, etc.?

Also I know this is your gimmick but the entire framing of

quote:

"Why doesn't this comic book company this guy work for do things more like Japan? It sure would be nice if they did stuff like Japan. Japan, the country where they do good stuff. Why aren't they more like Japan?"

"Wait, they ARE like Japan? Don't look me at me, I don't pay attention to American comics so I don't know what they do. Why aren't more companies following the model of Japan, which I am still positioning as the only place this thing happens."

"Have I mentioned I prefer Japanese comics to American comics, to which I don't actually pay any attention to? Because you know, Japan."
is very fun and enjoyable.

I want to be clear that there really have been thousands of comics published over the decades with these characters in a way that makes granular credit/compensation difficult to apply retroactively, because it is true and I know you don't really follow the fallen world of American comics and may not have known that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

how do you edit tweets

You post a followup saying your last tweet was hacked.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Manga assistants who do much of the work don't share in the benefits that creators get and in fact suffer from sub-American comics conditions so glass houses

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So am I the only one in this thread reading East of West?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I only read books that are in hardcover or are otherwise in some form of compendium or shelf-attractive format. So I am at least a year behind on East of West.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gave up on East of West. Everything about it was cool, but it was like a veneer of cool over very little substance. There's tons of neat world-building stuff, but it never built a full world that felt real to me. There were all these badass characters, but I never actually cared about them. It felt more like fluff for an RPG setting than an actual thing

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/770479564522917888/video/1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So am I the only one in this thread reading East of West?

I am and I couldn't actually tell you what's going on since it comes out so slow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

You post a followup saying your last tweet was hacked.

And then you get the Federal Police to investigate who hacked you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

I am and I couldn't actually tell you what's going on since it comes out so slow.

same

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Manga assistants who do much of the work don't share in the benefits that creators get and in fact suffer from sub-American comics conditions so glass houses

Yeah it's basically the Hollywood Interns work crisis but magnified tenfold, it's horrible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm very much interested in East of West but there's no way I'm picking it up until it finishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so like in ten years

• Locked thread