Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

so like in ten years

Only 14 issues to go so maybe 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I admire your optimism

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well if the show actually happens he might be motivated to wrap it up . Did he ever definitively end the Manhattan Projects? I fell off when it went to a mini series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know tbh it's been so long since I read it I can't remember what happened after the war against crazy cannibal van Braun

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm very much interested in East of West but there's no way I'm picking it up until it finishes

same but Saga. I read the first three volumes at Comixology and thought it was a good spot to take a break.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Well if the show actually happens he might be motivated to wrap it up . Did he ever definitively end the Manhattan Projects? I fell off when it went to a mini series.

Nope. They did the one miniseries and that was it. I guess the plan is to come back to it when he has new ideas and Pitarra is free.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is one of the tensions of the production side of the comics industry and I imagine a source of frustration for a lot of creators.

COMICS FANS: Man, it sucks when creators are treated as interchangable cogs and aren't given a chance to finish their stories, or use mercenary fill-in artists so everything runs on time etc.

ALSO COMIC FANS: What the gently caress why isn't this book coming out every month, or maybe more than once a month? I'm not going to buy or remember a story that doesn't come out every month!!!

I'm not singling anyone individually or collectively out here, the latter has been engrained in people forever by the Big Two, and the former makes perfect sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, I'm happy to let Hickman and Dragotta work at whatever pace they're happy with. It's gorgeous and the world-building is great, but I think the way Hickman is scripting can make it difficult to follow since he tends to focus on one or two plot threads each issue, so it might be two or three issues before he catches up with someone since there's a LOT of plotlines running through the series, and that can be eight months of real time (they're averaging a little better than one issue every other month). I think it'll be great once it's done and collected.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

This is one of the tensions of the production side of the comics industry and I imagine a source of frustration for a lot of creators.

COMICS FANS: Man, it sucks when creators are treated as interchangable cogs and aren't given a chance to finish their stories, or use mercenary fill-in artists so everything runs on time etc.

ALSO COMIC FANS: What the gently caress why isn't this book coming out every month, or maybe more than once a month? I'm not going to buy or remember a story that doesn't come out every month!!!

I'm not singling anyone individually or collectively out here, the latter has been engrained in people forever by the Big Two, and the former makes perfect sense.

Do comics need to be serialized to be economically viable or is it just a holdover/nostalgia? I know there's complete stories that get published, but usually in the Fantagraphics sphere. I never buy floppies or follow ongoing series generally because I don't like reading a story in 10 minutes of content every month.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I buy floppies pretty much exclusively to support the creation of work I like by creators I like. Otherwise buying trades or hardcovers is just so much more manageable from a storage perspective. And cheaper.

Like maybe Kill or Be Killed gets finished even if nobody buys the floppies, but I’m guessing those single issue sales help a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do comics need to be serialized to be economically viable or is it just a holdover/nostalgia? I know there's complete stories that get published, but usually in the Fantagraphics sphere. I never buy floppies or follow ongoing series generally because I don't like reading a story in 10 minutes of content every month.
It's hard to say as Marvel and DC rarely release OGNs to give an idea of how much a single story can actually sell versus monthly comics. The most recent I can think of was Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe which sold 510 copies at $24.99 through Diamond. The issue of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl that came out that month (November 2016) sold 12,933 copies at $3.99. It's also worth noting that Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 4 also came out, selling 2,387 copies at $15.99, as did Unbeatable Squirrel Girl hardcover Vol. 1 which sold 894 copies at $34.99 which are a bit more apples to oranges, but they're also reprinting material, which would theoretically depress sales compared to the new material by the same creators. My guess is that at the very least Big 2 publishers would see a big hit in sales if they moved to a non-monthly schedule.

Indie publishers are quite a bit different. If you take an Image comic, while the creators earn almost all of the money from sales (Image takes a fixed portion per issue - last I heard it was around $5000), that also means they are only paid after sales are in, which is a lag of months after an issue is completed. Every indie writer I've ever read an interview with has made it clear they pay their artists first (and as they get pages in) since they can only really work on a single book at a time, while a writer can write multiple books. Basically, unless you are Robert Kirkman, you probably can't afford to just wait until 128 pages are done before releasing a thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The direct market doesn’t seem like the biggest avenue for book sales though. Amazon and the more traditional booksellers do pretty good with trades and OGNs. Not sure how valuable that diamond info is in that context.

I know I only buy trades at my shop if my kid really wants something right now or if my shop is clearing stock (5 dollar trades heck yes). Otherwise I go online or to an actual book store usually.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Jordan7hm posted:

The direct market doesn’t seem like the biggest avenue for book sales though. Amazon and the more traditional booksellers do pretty good with trades and OGNs. Not sure how valuable that diamond info is in that context.

I know I only buy trades at my shop if my kid really wants something right now or if my shop is clearing stock (5 dollar trades heck yes). Otherwise I go online or to an actual book store usually.

Yeah, I buy a lot of my TPBs off Amazon and B&N, and I think people who are less "comics people" probably never set foot in a comic store for that stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

I actually thought I mentioned this, but apparently not! And yes, you are right, and it would be nice to see actual sales (or even hints at them) via traditional retailers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You can get Bookscan stats for Graphic Novels, which make up everything sold through "traditional" booksellers though with some limits; it includes Barnes & Noble, Amazon, formerly Borders, Costco, etc. but not independent bookstores, libraries, or comic shops (though we already have rough comic shop numbers), and Brian Hibbs digs through them every year and posts the info here.

Based on his analysis for 2017, the top selling "direct sales" type comics (not counting things like Dav Pilkey/Dork Diaries/Raina stuff) were the new volumes of Saga and Walking Dead. Marvel's top selling book was the first TNC volume of Black Panther. DC's best sellers were Watchmen and The Killing Joke.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for that. Looking at the 2016 sales, USBUTMU doesn't show up at all in the top 750, which bottoms out at 4,053 copies sold (granted, these are yearly sales, and it came out in November, but it's not on the 2017 list, either). USG vols. 1 and 2 show up, selling 8,060 and 5,071 copies, respectively.

Now, we can't really predict how readers would respond in terms of sales if, tomorrow, Marvel said "NO MORE MONTHLY COMICS ONLY COMPLETE GRAPHIC NOVELS," but it sure doesn't look like it would be particularly positively.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for that. Looking at the 2016 sales, USBUTMU doesn't show up at all in the top 750, which bottoms out at 4,053 copies sold (granted, these are yearly sales, and it came out in November, but it's not on the 2017 list, either). USG vols. 1 and 2 show up, selling 8,060 and 5,071 copies, respectively.

Now, we can't really predict how readers would respond in terms of sales if, tomorrow, Marvel said "NO MORE MONTHLY COMICS ONLY COMPLETE GRAPHIC NOVELS," but it sure doesn't look like it would be particularly positively.

Does anyone know what digital sales are like? I'm genuinely curious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope. Other than a hint here and there on specific titles (someone at Marvel once noted that with digital sales included, Ms. Marvel was outselling Uncanny X-Men), no one has really said anything substantial about digital sales.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. Other than a hint here and there on specific titles (someone at Marvel once noted that with digital sales included, Ms. Marvel was outselling Uncanny X-Men), no one has really said anything substantial about digital sales.

Ms. Marvel was the bestselling Marvel digital comic for a long while, IIRC.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

You post a followup saying your last tweet was hacked.
It was ambien okay

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

Ms. Marvel was the bestselling Marvel digital comic for a long while, IIRC.

No actual digital sales data has ever been released though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Have none of the indies released data? I seem to remember Jim Zub putting out financials at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good gravy.

I was just offered (and accepted) a new job that upon completion of training will pay me double what I made at the shop. And realistically I could have made this move 5 years ago. Past Rhyno is a dummy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's a nice step up, congrats

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks! Just gotta pass a :catdrugs: test and I start June 11th!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a bunch of Gumby in 3D comics with 3D glasses at the comic shop priced at $4 each. I think I might buy them after I get paid next week :v:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
All Gumby comics are good comics so you absolutely should

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Word on the Twitter grapevine is that Stuart Immonen is retiring

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Word on the Twitter grapevine is that Stuart Immonen is retiring

What's he worked on recently? I feel like I lost track of him about a decade ago.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He just did ASM 800. I think the last big interiors things were Star Wars and Empress.

And apparently his inker didn't quite get the retirement thing right.
https://www.newsarama.com/40139-immonen-elaborates-on-comics-retirement.html

quote:

"My exclusive agreement with Marvel wound down some time ago. Everyone involved is happily still on good terms," Immonen told Newsarama. "As to the rest, I have no immediate plans; if the right project with the right collaborators came along, I would of course consider it. For the moment however, Kathryn and I are enthusiastically devoting our time and energy to non-work matters."

Hopefully 'enthusiastically' means nobody's sick.

edit: Deleted "Batman covers". I always get him mixed up with Olivier Coipel.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 31, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He just did ASM 800. I think the last big interiors things were Star Wars and Empress.

And apparently his inker didn't quite get the retirement thing right.
https://www.newsarama.com/40139-immonen-elaborates-on-comics-retirement.html

Hopefully 'enthusiastically' means nobody's sick.

edit: Deleted "Batman covers". I always get him mixed up with Olivier Coipel.

I hope he enjoys his retirement because it seems like that is exceptionally rare in the comic book industry.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So uhhh, what's going on with NYCC?

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1002312794186895360

It seems a lot of high profile people are having similar experiences

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm. The pro badge requirements have been getting more strict each year but that's a bit much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm. The pro badge requirements have been getting more strict each year but that's a bit much.

I bet, even if this isn't the intent, most of the comics people cut off from this even if they had gotten it in years past are going to be racial minorities or LGBTQ, so that's really not a good look.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still in a few FB groups, a lot of retailers were denied pro badges if they were attending as vendors. It might just be a simple cockup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I'm still in a few FB groups, a lot of retailers were denied pro badges if they were attending as vendors. It might just be a simple cockup.

What's the difference between a retailer and a vendor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vendors have booths and sell poo poo. Retailer is anyone who works at a shop and attends but doesn't have a booth space.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Next thread title suggestion: June Moone Chat Room

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my old customers is naming his impending child after Wolverine and Spider-girl (not the good one).

I can't :headdesk: hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One of my old customers is naming his impending child after Wolverine and Spider-girl (not the good one).

I can't :headdesk: hard enough.

Logan isn't a terrible name. Not sure which Spider-Girl you're talking about.

• Locked thread