Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is interesting. Apparently comic sales haven't really dropped since the 2000s. Just stagnated.
https://twitter.com/comichron/status/993511337740382208

Market share has moved around quite a lot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anybody read that thing where the Justice League was all evil Batmans? how was it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did anybody read that thing where the Justice League was all evil Batmans? how was it?

Okay. It was okay.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Can it load cbrs not purchased from Comixology?

Yeah it can. I have a friend that gives me some stuff every now and then and I load them on there via ecalibre.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Metal? It had major fun moments, but blew the landing a bit (imo.) The evil Batmans are actually hardly in it if you don't read their one-shot tie-ins.

Have you read Final Crisis, Multiversity or Snyder's Batman already?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah it can. I have a friend that gives me some stuff every now and then and I load them on there via ecalibre.

Excellent. The 10's go on sale pretty often so the next time it drops to $100 I'm gonna buy one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Metal? It had major fun moments, but blew the landing a bit (imo.) The evil Batmans are actually hardly in it if you don't read their one-shot tie-ins.

Have you read Final Crisis, Multiversity or Snyder's Batman already?

no, none of those

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could just jump in to Metal, but they're the major building blocks or references (and they're better.)

Snyder's just starting his Justice League run as a follow-up to Metal, and everything you need to know is spelled out on the first page.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't imagine they're more of a roadblock to Metal than reading a ton of Batman is to Morrison's run.

Snyder's run is pretty straightforward though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Excellent. The 10's go on sale pretty often so the next time it drops to $100 I'm gonna buy one.

Screen rotates into portrait mode, right? I'd be moving down from a 17 inch tablet, is 10 inches enough to read? Aren't floppies 12 inches long?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have a 10in tablet (nexus 10, not amazon fire whatever) and although i wish it was a little bit bigger its definitely readable in portrait. i wouldnt go any smaller though

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I usually read either on my smartphone while laying down like a loser or on my 1920x1080 desktop while my broken chair that I'm too poor to replace hurts my rear end cheeks.

My poor, poor rear end cheeks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had to sacrifice a pillow to the butt gods because i wore out my chair's padding and im too broke to buy a new one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been there. I had the same chair for 10+ years. My wife bought me a nice new IKEA chair worthy of Picard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Screen rotates into portrait mode, right? I'd be moving down from a 17 inch tablet, is 10 inches enough to read? Aren't floppies 12 inches long?

10" is fine. Single pages are perfectly readable - they're like 80% the size of a physical comic - and double pages are generally okay provided the tablet as a remotely modern resolution (at least 1080p), but occasionally need some zooming. Bigger is better for comics, but as much as I like my iPad Pro Huge Edition, I find it to be too big for most everything else and have a hard time recommending it as a result.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

10" is fine. Single pages are perfectly readable - they're like 80% the size of a physical comic - and double pages are generally okay provided the tablet as a remotely modern resolution (at least 1080p), but occasionally need some zooming. Bigger is better for comics, but as much as I like my iPad Pro Huge Edition, I find it to be too big for most everything else and have a hard time recommending it as a result.
Is the 12.9 inch at all comfortable to hold? I have a 9.7 that I'm using right now and I'm leery of the 12.9s because I'm used to the smaller ones and I'm worried it won't be comfortable to hold up with one hand when I'm reading in bed.

9.7/10.5 is plenty for comics, by the way, I've had no troubles.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Man I dunno. I got an iPad Pro almost exclusively for comics and it’s basically the best. I’m struggling to find other uses for it, but it’s so much nicer to read on than my 10” android that I don’t regret the purchase even a little.

That being said, it ain’t cheap.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm currently on vacation and loaded about 10 graphic novels on my nexus 10 and I find the quality perfect really. 10 inch is the way to go as it still feels page sized and no bulky to hold. That's my advertisement for the day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I will say reading on tablets takes a lot of the fun out of double page spreads. I think it's increased use is going to make artists and writers think about how to use vertical space.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 11, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/994557361292537857

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Oh, this is just great :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Is the 12.9 inch at all comfortable to hold? I have a 9.7 that I'm using right now and I'm leery of the 12.9s because I'm used to the smaller ones and I'm worried it won't be comfortable to hold up with one hand when I'm reading in bed.

9.7/10.5 is plenty for comics, by the way, I've had no troubles.
I have a keyboard cover thing for it and almost exclusively hold it in landscape. If I'm reading in bed, I just have it resting on my belly and it's fine one-handed.

Jordan7hm posted:

Man I dunno. I got an iPad Pro almost exclusively for comics and it’s basically the best. I’m struggling to find other uses for it, but it’s so much nicer to read on than my 10” android that I don’t regret the purchase even a little.

That being said, it ain’t cheap.
This is pretty much exactly what I said, yes. By having a hard time recommending, I meant in general. If your main use is reading comics and you can afford it, sure, it's great, but for the vast majority of people, it's not really going to be worth it, especially now that the cheap iPad has Pencil support and is literally half the price of a Pro.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Madkal posted:

I'm currently on vacation and loaded about 10 graphic novels on my nexus 10 and I find the quality perfect really. 10 inch is the way to go as it still feels page sized and no bulky to hold. That's my advertisement for the day

Yeah this is the only thing that bugs me. I do enjoy reading comics on my Kindle though. Makes reading them in bed a lot easier lol.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

I've got an iPad Air 2, and it reads them just fine. I occasionally have to zoom in a little to read smaller text, but I'm older and my eyes are going to poo poo. I was thinking of getting an iPad Pro, but the only thing I use my current iPad for is reading comics and I can't justify the cost just for that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I will say reading on tablets takes a lot of the fun out of double page spreads. I think it's increased use is going to make artists and writers think about how to use vertical space.

I just flip to landscape for spreads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I have no problem reading double page spreads. That's a weird complaint.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think you lose something, especially as the screen size gets smaller.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You really do, I've been spoiled these last three years with this ridiculous tablet, but it's starting to chug and randomly shut down, so I have to start looking for a new one. But I cannot find Android tablets 12-15 inches that aren't laptops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I just flip to landscape for spreads

I do that too, but then they're literally half the size they would be in a print comic, which takes some of the majesty out of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Soonmot posted:

You really do, I've been spoiled these last three years with this ridiculous tablet, but it's starting to chug and randomly shut down, so I have to start looking for a new one. But I cannot find Android tablets 12-15 inches that aren't laptops.

I heard some phone makers got in trouble for deliberately releasing software that slows down older machines. I think it was apple. Worth looking into.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm gonna get massively into the Grimm Fairy Tale comics

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I do that too, but then they're literally half the size they would be in a print comic, which takes some of the majesty out of it.

I guess I've been using it that way so long I don't really notice

Probably also helps that I haven't seen a physical floppy in like 15 years

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Covok posted:

I heard some phone makers got in trouble for deliberately releasing software that slows down older machines. I think it was apple. Worth looking into.
It was Apple and the truth is more complex. App development targets the newest hardware and over time, as your phone gets further and further away from that level of processor speed, it draws more and more power to keep up -- using silly, simplified numbers to explain that, if an app needs 40 calculations done every second, your phone can do 50 calculations per second, and the newest phone can do 100, your phone is drawing twice the power to do the same task. In an effort to conserve battery life, Apple put in a thing that'd notice phones doing that past a certain threshold and go "look just limit yourself to a certain power drain level and slow the program down if you need to". It got bad press because they did it in secret and intentionally slowing performance down is never a good look.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It was Apple and the truth is more complex. App development targets the newest hardware and over time, as your phone gets further and further away from that level of processor speed, it draws more and more power to keep up -- using silly, simplified numbers to explain that, if an app needs 40 calculations done every second, your phone can do 50 calculations per second, and the newest phone can do 100, your phone is drawing twice the power to do the same task. In an effort to conserve battery life, Apple put in a thing that'd notice phones doing that past a certain threshold and go "look just limit yourself to a certain power drain level and slow the program down if you need to". It got bad press because they did it in secret and intentionally slowing performance down is never a good look.

Also it only applies to like three models of phones and iPads were never affected. And the latest update lets you turn it off so it runs at full speed even if it will kill the battery prematurely. But yes, this is pretty much accurate.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want you to do this, and I want you to post about them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Toxx this man! Toxx him straight to hell!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't someone here's brother or somethin' direct Patti Cake$?
I just saw and liked it! Congrats to comic goon's bro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was Gavok's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My pizza overcame great fear, and was really good.

• Locked thread