Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I bailed after four episodes because watching it felt like I was having a conversation with the show that was going like this:

The Leftovers: People disappeared! Nobody knows why!
Me: Great, so what happens next?
The Leftovers: No answers will ever be provided for why they disappeared!
Me: Okay so like, are the events you're showing me important, or...?
The Leftovers: Not all things can be known! You'll just have to deal with that!
Me: Right, but like... you've heard the saying about how stories should start as close to the end as possible, right? So if a portion of the world disappearing and all the immediate fallout from that event are just the background events, what happens now is going to be even more interesting than that, right? You didn't take that saying too far and start the story after it ended, did you? Just... I just need something to happen, or I need you to show me that something is going to happen, or... loving meet me halfway, here.
The Leftovers: It's like a metaphor for death and the human condition! Life doesn't always have answers!
Me: Right, I'm out.

The A.V. Club loved the show, but even from the gushing reviews I never got the impression that the show had stopped doing end-zone dances on the 20 yard line over how goddamn clever it was.

Nobody uploaded any clips of it to youtube but pretend i linked Seth from UYD making fun of the Leftovers after the first episode for being exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell i'll say it

i'm glad Alexander Hamilton is dead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Broadway is inside the loving beltway now?

You're right, Broadway definitely isn't its own weird insular community of well-off people :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a hot new cologne developed by top researchers at a private former-Christian university in North Carolina

Elon Musk.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduke posted:

Elon Musk is, like Donald Trump, a Wharton boy. My partner used to work in academic administration and was briefly working at Wharton, the most agonizing job she ever had, just a boot camp for vampires as portrayed by Udo Kier.

i fear you may have missed my joke, son

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat, if only someone tried to start a comic company with that radical philosophy in mind, they'd be dominating the marketplace right now and everyone involved would be rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

:wth:

• Locked thread