Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just got Charles Soule's novel in the mail. It's weird reading long prose from people when you're used to just spending 5-10 minutes on their stories.

Mike Carey and Greg Rucka are also really good prose authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Some artists/writers charge for signing only on certain items because they know that the vast majority of the people who are buying those items are doing it for "investment purposes" rather than actually liking the work and feel they should be paid for something that's gonna be flipped. You also see that heavily for anything that people want CGC signed.

Some people are just dicks who think they're better than everyone else.

I love getting poo poo signed. I love meeting the writer/artist and telling them thank you. I suck at interacting with even perceived 'famous' people. I was at a signing for Brian Vaughn and Michael McMillian (True Blood and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and as much as I wanted to have a conversation, there's always a nagging in my head about how I didn't like waiting in line and there's a whole bunch of people behind me in line so I shouldn't dawdle. Same thing usually happens to me at cons.

I have had a bunch of really good interactions with Ed Brubaker tho. He's really good at being able to still sign other people's poo poo while having a conversation with other people. Same with Tim Seeley and Mike Norton, both are awesome guys.

My best signing was like the first year Snyder exploded, he was promoting his Image book Severed (still one of the creepiest loving comics I've ever read, seriously, if you're into horror, check this poo poo out) at the same time he was promoting Batman and AmVamp for DC/Vertigo. He was at SDCC and was gonna catch him at the DC booth but found out it was super ticketed and just a nasty thing to do so I skipped it. Later in the day, he had a signing for Severed and it was EMPTY. I walked up like half an hour into his hour and no one was around. It was insane and got to have at least some kind of chat with him which was cool.

I guess my lesson here is go get poo poo signed because it's fun and if you're at a large con, don't necessarily go to the most publicized signings.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I met Bendis at TFAW in Portland like 3 years into USM, whenever Powers relaunched the first time. I approached hi, told him how much I liked his work and got a handshake. He then bought me a copy of the new Powers and signed it for me. Rea great dude.

One time my wife and I were at an event where Bendis was publicized to be doing a signing (on top of other goings on so he wasn't the main reason to be there per se). We were in the back room area looking around at all the artwork and stuff they put up on the walls and my wife was getting pictures. She went up to Bendis, who was the only other person in the area at the time, with her camera and he was getting ready to take a picture and she was like "hey, would you mind moving a little left so I can get this art?" He was a little dejected but happy to oblige. It was only after we left that I told her who it was but it's always been an amusing anecdote.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So uhhh, what's going on with NYCC?

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1002312794186895360

It seems a lot of high profile people are having similar experiences

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

True but he's terribly entertaining.

Logan is a horrible name. Arana is a hugely idiotic name.

Anya's not a terrible name though....at least certainly not if he's hispanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

pubic works project posted:

When my wife and I have a son, we're going to name him Stephen after my dad. And his room will have some Captain America stuff in it.

Yes I know Cap's name is spelled Steven.

You could just put up a bunch of Dr Strange poo poo instead.....

• Locked thread