Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Armada is a lot of fun but as everyone else points out: the conclusion is typically known by turn 2 of a 6 turn game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are you guys playing Armada with huge skill gaps between players or something? The vast majority of my games are never decided by turn 2 and its only ever a slog if both fleets are running huge squad balls.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

banned from Starbucks posted:

Are you guys playing Armada with huge skill gaps between players or something? The vast majority of my games are never decided by turn 2 and its only ever a slog if both fleets are running huge squad balls.

Its a bit of hyperbole, but the tournament rules for Armada stipulate 120 minute best of one games.
It's not a quick game, and not designed to be.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
hey folks, is yasb.app up to date with recent points-changes? it says last updated 2022, and while i assume they mean the code-base, the points i'm seeing on a quick glance through look the same as they were like a year ago.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

dingo with a joint posted:

hey folks, is yasb.app up to date with recent points-changes? it says last updated 2022, and while i assume they mean the code-base, the points i'm seeing on a quick glance through look the same as they were like a year ago.

yasb is up to date with the current points/ships. They just recently added all the Battle over Endor ships now that they're all revealed and we have points for them

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Napoleon Nelson posted:

yasb is up to date with the current points/ships. They just recently added all the Battle over Endor ships now that they're all revealed and we have points for them

oh excellent; thank you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
How am I supposed to get the squad builder app? It isn’t on ios app store.

Edit: am I supposed to use this Launch Bay app instead?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 19, 2024

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Launch bay’s the one most people use, yeah.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Tried out some of the Battle over Endor Rebels yesterday, they're really fun. Side bombs from the b-wings are a highlight.

Lando Calrissian (BoE) (7)
Ace In The Hole (BoE) (0)
It's A Trap! (BoE) (0)
Nien Nunb (0)
Airen Cracken (BoE) (0)
Millennium Falcon (BoE) (0)

Ship Cost: 7 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 3 Damage Threshold: 6

Tycho Celchu (BoE) (4)
It's A Trap! (BoE) (0)
Juke (0)
Proton Rockets (0)
Chaff Particles (BoE) (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 2

Gina Moonsong (BoE) (5)
It's A Trap! (BoE) (0)
Juke (0)
Proton Torpedoes (0)
Ion Bombs (0)

Ship Cost: 5 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 4

Braylen Stramm (BoE) (4)
It's A Trap! (BoE) (0)
Homing Missiles (0)
Proton Bombs (0)
Delayed Fuses (0)

Ship Cost: 4 Loadout: (0) Half Points: 2 Damage Threshold: 4

Total: 20

View in YASB: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Allianc...20Squadron&obs=

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
No Nien Numb?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

........I see him on the falcon?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I played the first day of worlds yesterday, went 2-3 so I didn't make the day 2 cut but it was still a fun time. 300+ people which is pretty good for these fallen days of ours. I flew the list I posted above and handled the two Empire lists I faced but couldn't do enough against Rebel/Resistance.

The only participation prize was an SL Soontir card with a "World Championshp" (sic) stamp on the back. Two kinds of dice (sparkly and swirly), alt arts, table bumpers, etc on the prize wall.

Sounds like there are plans for qualifiers this year so I expect 2025 to happen even if there doesn't end up being much/any new stuff on the development front.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is the core set balanced for 2.5? I got it fairly cheap because it seems like a fun time but I know the rules got a big update since the release of the core set. Is 1 X wing and 2 TIE fighters still fairly "balanced"? I found this unofficial updated core set rulebook to help https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B5nRFVx1BrRcAmaV7JGxcRFN3RwDKcG9/view

e: I'm not expecting a perfectly balanced starter kit or anything, I just want to know if one side is overwhelmingly advantaged over the other so it's not going to skew our impression of the game if we try it out

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 31, 2024

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Is the core set balanced for 2.5? I got it fairly cheap because it seems like a fun time but I know the rules got a big update since the release of the core set. Is 1 X wing and 2 TIE fighters still fairly "balanced"? I found this unofficial updated core set rulebook to help https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B5nRFVx1BrRcAmaV7JGxcRFN3RwDKcG9/view

e: I'm not expecting a perfectly balanced starter kit or anything, I just want to know if one side is overwhelmingly advantaged over the other so it's not going to skew our impression of the game if we try it out

If you're just looking to get a feel for the game, the core box is fine. The 2.5 changes are basically to the squadbuilding (ship cost and loadout (upgrades) rules and game objectives, neither of which you'd be using to get a sense for the game. If you try to core set and like it, there are starter packs for rebels and imperials that have updated rule books and the ships you'd need to run a full legal squad.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Napoleon Nelson posted:

If you're just looking to get a feel for the game, the core box is fine. The 2.5 changes are basically to the squadbuilding (ship cost and loadout (upgrades) rules and game objectives, neither of which you'd be using to get a sense for the game. If you try to core set and like it, there are starter packs for rebels and imperials that have updated rule books and the ships you'd need to run a full legal squad.

Thanks!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
AMG just took world's behind the woodshed and put it down.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/tra...V_7YtO2dcMW2w2R

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Rip

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Glad I got one in before the end, though I wish I played better

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Haha I guess it's hard to make money off worlds when your prize wall is overpriced garbage and your side events are droid soccer. When FFG ran it they had people lining up the entire day handing them money to chain run hanger bay pods for tickets because the prize wall wasn't complete rear end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It looks like they're cutting the World's tournament for everything, not just X-Wing.

This paragraph explains exactly why:

quote:

The intensive amount of resources required to effectively run and expand the Worlds circuit year after year was immense. It accounted for the vast majority of our global Organized Play budget. Additionally, to preserve and promote its competitive integrity required extremely high levels of oversight and event requirements. This by its very nature meant that the number of regions capable of running a Regional tournament were limited.

To translate into non-corporate speak: their Organized Play budget is limited, and most of it went to one event. Some bean counter at Asmodee noted this, and told them they had to do something. Someone suggested they spend their budget on a greater number of lesser events, and they sold it to management by saying it could grow the program by increasing accessibility to major events.

Now is that last part true? Who the hell knows! It has some merit, though. Organized Play has always been a way to set the hook into new players, so to speak. I'd bet a significant amount of money that they have data that suggests players who attend an OP event are more likely to buy the next wave of content.

I'd bet a lesser amount of money that their OP budget got slashed, that the spend on World's didn't show enough ROI for the bean counters, and now they can't afford to do World's at all. If that's the case, I'd also expect that the new regional circuit will get lovely support. I would be shocked if AMG actually invests in any real sense; AMG has proven to be far worse at community-level, grassroots customer acquisition than FFG, which is saying something, as FFG wasn't great at it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Fun fact!

If you want to hold a GT you have 2 weeks from the date of the announcement (Yesterday) to have a venue booked and 32 players signed up.

gently caress AMG

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

It's bafflingly bad, even by their low standards.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't see where you have to have players already signed up. The application asks for the number of players you're planning for, and the registration cap, along with asking if you have a venue lined up yet.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Was the Battlestar Galactica game by Ares any good? It looks like modded X-wing. I know it's long dead, but I may try it anyway.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It was OK. A little overly complicated at times since you had to keep track of momentum and altitude and a buncha other stuff on your dial pad thing. Every ship having its own little movement deck was kinda dumb imo and a pain in the rear end compared to just using x-wings movement system which I guess they felt wasn't cool enough. The problem was the cards were so small you never felt like you were moving all that much so games ended up where most of the time you just jousted each other then flipped and shot as you were both flying backwards. I think they only really intended each player to fly a single ship though. I only got to play it once or twice.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 18, 2024

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Would they have to license anything? My understanding was that game concepts can't be patented, although maybe they were just really attached to the card system their other games used.

E: welp, owned by the edit. I'll just add that the card mvmt sucks for the naval game too, nothing beats two ships being able to sail past each other without a chance to shoot.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

banned from Starbucks posted:

The problem was the cards were so small you never felt like you were moving all that much so games ended up where most of the time you just jousted each other then flipped and shot as you were both flying backwards.

Heh, the old Kaufman Retrogade. That doesn't sound fun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

smug jeebus posted:

Would they have to license anything? My understanding was that game concepts can't be patented, although maybe they were just really attached to the card system their other games used.

E: welp, owned by the edit. I'll just add that the card mvmt sucks for the naval game too, nothing beats two ships being able to sail past each other without a chance to shoot.

Stat Trek Attack Wing had to license the flight path system from xwing/FFG even though they slightly modified it with like 4 speed banks and turns.

I guess it wasn't so much they were cheap but I think they actually thought their system would be one of its selling points. They seemed really proud of those dial things.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

smug jeebus posted:

I think the flightpath system's components are the unique part, not so much the concept (basically every air combat game approaching it this way uses simultaneous movement somehow).

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I played a demo at a con once. Our table had three chumps (including me, obv) who never got a shot off, and one guy that swooped around thrashing all of us. Afterward, he claimed he was literally a fighter pilot, so it all made perfect sense to him.

In addition to the whole 'pointing directions you aren't moving in' hurting people's brains and maybe encouraging less-fun strategies, it also just had really narrow firing arcs. You basically couldn't hedge your bets, you either knew the entire enemy deck and correctly guessed exactly which card they were going to play, or you missed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Glad I got one in before the end, though I wish I played better

Same. Imagine traveling to Minnesota to go 0-5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

If you play with the Quick Start rules, there isn't really much special or distinguishing here- but stick with it, because once you break out the rules for kinetic movement, rotation, fuel expenditure, tailing, pilot flaws, and so on the FTL drive spools up and the game goes from good to best-in-class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Making the cut in the Yavin Open was a fond memory of mine. Loved that Inquisitir/Carnor/Soontir list