Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Originally released in 2012 as X-Wing: The Miniatures Game, X-Wing was a huge success. Nearly 60 ships across three factions. Over 7 million ships and accessories sold. Over 50,000 organized play events. X-Wing owns.

In 2018, we got a long-awaited update to the core rules of the game. This second edition was a big improvement over the first.

In 2021, ownership of X-Wing was moved from its original creators, Fantasy Flight Games to Atomic Mass Gaming by Asmodee, the parent company of both.

In February 2022, AMG released a massive update to the core rules of the game. The community has dubbed this "X-Wing 2.5". Here's a summary.

Big sweeping changes:
Here's a google sheet about most of the big changes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l--J7333ZM6LKme3p28QzWigO4F_xFLRU5VT2W4Lb4o/edit#gid=288716757

Below I'll put my own personal thoughts about them, except Random Order After Dials and the bumping rules; those have been discussed to death.

Change: Minimum of 3 ships (still max of 8).
Goal: Two-ship lists are generally about attrition and running away, so let's get rid of that.
Initial Impression: Good. I loving hate playing against most two-ship lists.

Change: Squad Building is now 20 points. Only ships count towards your squad. Upgrades are tracked separately as Loadouts. Different pilots have different Loadout Values to spend on upgrades. If two ships cost the same in squad points, the one with the "better" pilot ability will generally have a lower Loadout Value.
Goal: Simplify squad building. Allow players to field the ships they want rather than juggling ship vs upgrade costs.
Initial Impression: Good. Finally a way to incentivize people to take a pilot with a lovely pilot ability over a generic of the same initiative. Think Joy Rekoff, who reduces defense dice when shooting secondary weapons.

Change: Upgrade costs (which count against Loadout Value) are no longer variable. Instead, they're priced according to their strongest use.
Goal: Simplify squad building.
Initial Impression: Neutral. Since every ship has its own LV that doesn't count against squad points, so it's probably okay if some upgrades are "overcosted" a bit for that particular ship. What really matters is if there's a better upgrade available or not...and then you just take the better one. Generic ships got hit HARD for some reason. I can see no reason to ever fly one now.

Change: Added scenario play. There are four scenarios.
Goal: Give players a clear, well, goal, and a way to force people to interact in the game over discrete concepts instead of an abstract positioning advantage. Plus alternate win conditions.
Initial Impression: I have no way to evaluate the nature of each scenario yet. EDIT: the scenarios have been tweaked after their initial rollout and are much better balanced now.

Change: Games are now 12 rounds, not 75 minutes. EDIT: tournament play is still 75 minutes but in general games are won on points around turn 5-6 before time is up.
Goal: ?
Initial Impressions: Good because no one is incentivized to slow play to win on points. Players can still delay engagement or run, of course, at the risk of losing out on scenario points. EDIT: Since games tend to end around turn 5-6 this is working as intended.

Change: Mission Points. Players receive "mission points" for stuff like scoring objectives or destroying enemy ships.
Goal: Codify the alternate ways to win
Initial Impressions: Fine. You need to codify scoring somehow. EDIT: very much codifed in the new rule book

Change: Deficit Scoring. If someone doesn't spend all their squad points, the remainder is a "deficit". the opponent automatically earns Mission Points equal to their opponent's deficit.
Goal: ?
Initial Impression: Neutral. There's no point to bids anymore so I'm not sure why this is necessary, but whatever?

Change: Addition of a Ban list and a Restricted List.
Goal: Remove or limit problematic cards.
Initial Impressions: Very good. It's about loving time. Ban list includes any card that messes with dials after placement is banned, which is probably due to the addition of ROAD. Both the Ban and Restricted list are only for Standard play. Extended players, go nuts.

Change: New game modes, Standard and Extended.
Goal: "Standard" game mode should be accessible to new players and not require players to hunt down ships + conversion kits that only existed in first edition. As such, it highly restricts which ships are available and is generally analogous to Hyperspace mode. "Extended" allows everything.
Initial Impression: Good. This is basically Hyperspace/Extended from before, except now Hyperspace is called Standard, and Standard generally includes all stuff released for second edition. That's less confusing.

Misc Rules Changes:
-Primary weapons are defined as having range 0-3 and having no cost by default.
-Primary attack at range 0 cannot add additional dice unless stated otherwise. They do not get range bonuses.
-Primary attacks at range 0 can only be modified by spending Force for the default effect
-When defending at range 0, you cannot cancel, modify, or remove dice or results (in other words, the defender can't gently caress with their own dice OR the attacker's)
-Clarification that ships that are allowed to dock mid-game can do so after partially executing a maneuver to end up at range 0 of their carrier ship.
-Obstacles are generally much more harsh when you hit them.
-Tractored ships cannot be moved through or onto obstacles.
-New classification: Unit. Ships and remotes are units.
-Added Blaze obstacles. Uh, don't run into these okay? They are mean.

Errata:
-Generally anyone whose special ability let them attack at range 0 (which they couldn't before) gets language about treating that attack as range 1. Think Arvel, Oicunn, etc.
-Nantexes must now fully execute a maneuver to rotate their arc.
-Buzz Droid swarms agility reduced to 1
-Zeb crew upgrade allows you to spend focus when attacking or defending at range 0.
-C1-10P now requires you to fully execute a maneuver.
-Dooku crew now only works "during an attack", booo
-Dedicated gets keyword restrictions updated to "republic" or "clone", loses "non-limited"
-Ferrosphere paint now gives a stress to the ship that locks you if you aren't in their bullseye
-Grappling and Landing Struts text updated for clarity. (Is the "you cannot barrel roll" text new?)
-Leia crew (rebel) only allows you to reduce difficulty of non-stop maneuvers. No more U-Wings that never move.
-Luke gunner gives you a deplete when you rotate your turret.
-It's now Officially Okay to remove your ships from the pegs during bump scenarios. lol

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ground floor! I absolutely cannot wait. Gonna go halfsies on it with my better half

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The 2.0 T-65 dial has tallon rolls.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm really happy about the changes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm fired up about this. Can't wait for more of the previews to roll out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is so rad. I'm anxious with anticipation and also completely uninterested in any of the x-wing meta happenings between now and then :v:

For those like me who got into X-Wing ~7 waves deep, it feels like a chance to get in on the ground floor of the game and start over entirely.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Gencon is not in June, FYI

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Gencon is not in June, FYI

Thanks! It's august. I don't know why I thought June...

canyoneer posted:

This is so rad. I'm anxious with anticipation and also completely uninterested in any of the x-wing meta happenings between now and then :v:

For those like me who got into X-Wing ~7 waves deep, it feels like a chance to get in on the ground floor of the game and start over entirely.

Agreed. I got in just before Wave 7 myself.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I got into X-Wing 1.0 the month it came out, but didn't start doing anything like store tournaments and stuff like that until Wave 4. It's kind of cool to be coming into this fresh.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
X-Wing: 2.0 Fully Armed and Operational Battle System

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New thread smell. I like it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jivjov posted:

New thread smell. I like it.

Thanks for the old thread. It was great.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hey 1.0 still exists what gives?

But yeah, definitely time for new shiny.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I was big into first edition x-wing up until about Scum and Villiany came out and then i ran into employment problems and fell behind by quite a bit, like up until now quite a bit.

I wanna fly some Wangs but i'm still poor and super far behind :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
New thing: evade tokens no longer add an evade, they change a result to an evade (source: the team cov demo video)

E: indeed, the team cov video has a whooooole mess of content, as do the announcement articles for the three factions. E.g. Firespray and Advanced dials are getting fairly massive buffs (1 turns and 3 trolls, and 1 straight and 3 trolls respectively)

There's also going to be more stuff that monkeys with setup positioning

Seismic charges blow up rocks and do damage to things near them

Etc etc etc etc

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 1, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thespaceinvader posted:

New thing: evade tokens no longer add an evade, they change a result to an evade (source: the team cov demo video)

This owns

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I was big into first edition x-wing up until about Scum and Villiany came out and then i ran into employment problems and fell behind by quite a bit, like up until now quite a bit.

I wanna fly some Wangs but i'm still poor and super far behind :(

This is pretty much the state in in, although I have a tiny budget for games now. I don't have any scum and villainy ships at all outside of the slave 1, so I think I'm going to try to swap the extra ships i have that aren't covered by a single conversion kit for some.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks for the old thread. It was great.

I'm glad people found it useful. Tried to keep everything up to date even after I checked out of playing the game.

Really wish I had knuckled down and sold my poo poo before this happened though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Also in the TC demo video:

quote:

"Before buying those kits, you need to understand one critical change that we were excited to learn about with factions in Second Edition. If you buy all of the products for a single faction, you will have access to the full range of pilots and upgrades usable for that faction. No more buying ships from other factions in order to get the upgrades that you need! This means that you will need to buy one Conversion Kit for each faction you intend to fly."

No need to buy cross-faction to access upgrades!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I am so loving pumped. I have been behind on buying the latest waves but now I'm like, fully energized for more new X-Wing action.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

[*]Green maneuvers are now blue, to benefit color-blind players.

Finally.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://imgur.com/a/BcrVtYI

Looks like the T-65 pack(or perhaps that part of the starter) got spoiled, and I like the reworking on the generic astromechs. Generic R2 is a regen mech but with fewer uses than R2D2. R4 is now the mech that provides green maneuvers, and scum and rebels now share astromech slots.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Also in the TC demo video:

No need to buy cross-faction to access upgrades!

Oh I think I finally understand. Yeah, this is cool. I'm not sure I can keep myself from buying every ship though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
hELL YEAH

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Having jumped into 1e with the TFA starter, I'm excited for all these shiny new changes.

I'm less happy that they haven't changed the dice, but we can't have everything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

[*]T-65 X-Wings have Talon Rolls on their dial, and more greens.

blues :smug:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Looks like the T-65 pack(or perhaps that part of the starter) got spoiled, and I like the reworking on the generic astromechs. Generic R2 is a regen mech but with fewer uses than R2D2. R4 is now the mech that provides green maneuvers, and scum and rebels now share astromech slots.

lmao Garvin Dreis can give himself infinite focus tokens (under 1.0 rules, anyway)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Having jumped into 1e with the TFA starter, I'm excited for all these shiny new changes.

I'm less happy that they haven't changed the dice, but we can't have everything.

What's wrong with the dice?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao Garvin Dreis can give himself infinite focus tokens (under 1.0 rules, anyway)

I'm pretty sure they added a range 0 to handle that particularity.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Panzeh posted:

They gave those out to all the lucky fish who went to the hyperspace report.

I also love the new default dial covers now. They look like helmets :3:

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

So I guess the bullseye arc no longer has any inherent effect? It was ignored in the Covenant game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

uncle blog posted:

So I guess the bullseye arc no longer has any inherent effect? It was ignored in the Covenant game.

Yeah, I think it just keys off of upgrade cards now. The gunship probably has some inherent ability with the effect.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand, this all sounds like really great stuff. On the other hand, my wallet is crying already. Bottom line is I'm getting two more TIE Fighters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

So the problem with the old dice in 1.0 was that the design space around dice modification was extremely limited. WIth only three possible results, there's only so many ways you could change those up. As defense dice got better, red dice had to get better, and eventually everything started creeping upwards.

The charges system on upgrades helps with that a lot. It allows them to put in really powerful, but limited, effects in that do unique things a few times without risking them being auto-includes and invalidating stuff just by existing, for the entire length of the game.

I'm not sure we NEED new dice now that we can have any number of limited ways to tinker with them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They gonna have to jumpstart the gently caress out of FO and Resistance factions. FO has 4 ships and Resistance only has 2. Is it even worth it to them to make conversion kits for a faction with 2 ships? Splitting them off always seemed like a dumb idea esp since Empire and Rebel ships span loving huge amounts of time and EU.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

uncle blog posted:

Guess not. But Crack Shot and Marksmanship reference it

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

New dice would be really cool though. For reals.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Guess not. But Crack Shot and Marksmanship reference it

Yeah I saw that. Guessing those cards are gonna be super cheap considering how much harder they are to pull off now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't know what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

They gonna have to jumpstart the gently caress out of FO and Resistance factions. FO has 4 ships and Resistance only has 2. Is it even worth it to them to make conversion kits for a faction with 2 ships? Splitting them off always seemed like a dumb idea esp since Empire and Rebel ships span loving huge amounts of time and EU.

They may be anticipating all the ships we get to see in Star Wars Resistance.