Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

They gonna have to jumpstart the gently caress out of FO and Resistance factions. FO has 4 ships and Resistance only has 2. Is it even worth it to them to make conversion kits for a faction with 2 ships? Splitting them off always seemed like a dumb idea esp since Empire and Rebel ships span loving huge amounts of time and EU.

I imagine wave 2 is gonna have a shitload of stuff for them. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a combo conversion kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Finster Dexter posted:

What's wrong with the dice?

The biggest issue I have with the dice is that power and accuracy are still linked.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm not sure we NEED new dice now that we can have any number of limited ways to tinker with them.

Yeah, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, I'm just still a little hesitant.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I am super loving hype. THis is gonna be great; 1.0 is sytill a great game but it's been creaking at the seams since before I started playing and that's been getting more and more obvious. The ability to flexibly bupdate points and slots to tweak balance will be SUCH a boon, and more moving parts means more interesting options for design, and more design space, without half-arsedly juryrigging new mechanics in.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
It was fun being at FFG for this today, but boy are the non-Xwing people upset. Heard a couple of guys who changed something (hotel, airfare, ?) just to make this because it was billed as a Star Wars PR event, and they play Destiny. Oh well.

I think they turned the stream off after the stream questions ended. Here are a few other things that were said:
  • They said you can use your old templates, but there's something special about the new 1 straight as it pertains to barrel rolls.
  • Frank said language and style guide for consistent terminology is a top priority now, across all localized languages.
  • Threat levels are only for Quick Build plays, not main Organized Play events.
  • Turrets work differently depending on the ship. Some are two opposite sided arcs (Falcon), some are single arc (HWK). Let's them mess around with the design space as we go forward.

Also they gave out the new X-Wing pack for attending the event.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EdBlackadder posted:

On the one hand, this all sounds like really great stuff. On the other hand, my wallet is crying already. Bottom line is I'm getting two more TIE Fighters.
I'm kind of eyeing this up and thinking that I've spent a fuckton on this game in the first place and don't really need to spend a fuckton more to keep playing with the stuff I already own. I'm also wondering if the timing is because they've basically run out of ships to make. Looks like X-Wing is going in the pile of games I used to play competitively but now hang onto "just in case". Ah well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If I've been kinda interested in X-Wing but haven't wanted to blow a shitload of money on it is this a good time to inevitably blow a shitload of money on it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh wow the core set they're using on that Covenant game includes a right-angle ship-marking template/tool.

About drat time.

thespaceinvader posted:

I am super loving hype. THis is gonna be great; 1.0 is sytill a great game but it's been creaking at the seams since before I started playing and that's been getting more and more obvious. The ability to flexibly bupdate points and slots to tweak balance will be SUCH a boon, and more moving parts means more interesting options for design, and more design space, without half-arsedly juryrigging new mechanics in.

Yeah like 1/2 the panel was referring to adding design space, so they knew it too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

The biggest issue I have with the dice is that power and accuracy are still linked.

Like, "did I hit" vs. "how hard I hit"?

I guess I'm willing to accept the abstraction, because the alternative would end up making the game a lot more complex and time-consuming for (imho) marginal benefit to realism.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

They gonna have to jumpstart the gently caress out of FO and Resistance factions. FO has 4 ships and Resistance only has 2. Is it even worth it to them to make conversion kits for a faction with 2 ships? Splitting them off always seemed like a dumb idea esp since Empire and Rebel ships span loving huge amounts of time and EU.

They’re probably gonna get their A’s and Y’s at that time. Along with the Falcon, the bombers, X-Wings and one or two new ships, that’s an okay start. Hopefully they’ll find a way to make them feel distinct enough from the rebels.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

It was fun being at FFG for this today, but boy are the non-Xwing people upset. Heard a couple of guys who changed something (hotel, airfare, ?) just to make this because it was billed as a Star Wars PR event, and they play Destiny. Oh well.

I think they turned the stream off after the stream questions ended. Here are a few other things that were said:
  • They said you can use your old templates, but there's something special about the new 1 straight as it pertains to barrel rolls.
  • Frank said language and style guide for consistent terminology is a top priority now, across all localized languages.
  • Threat levels are only for Quick Build plays, not main Organized Play events.
  • Turrets work differently depending on the ship. Some are two opposite sided arcs (Falcon), some are single arc (HWK). Let's them mess around with the design space as we go forward.

Also they gave out the new X-Wing pack for attending the event.

Those non-xwing people should be loving GLEEFUL they will be able to scalp those x wings on ebay for a GODDAMN FORTUNE.

E: speaking of which, my wallet is going to sting for a while - but equally, I really don't expect to need to buy many expacs for a year or so, and £200-odd isn't much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Like, "did I hit" vs. "how hard I hit"?

I guess I'm willing to accept the abstraction, because the alternative would end up making the game a lot more complex and time-consuming for (imho) marginal benefit to realism.

Right, hitting harder and hitting more often are the same thing.

It's an acceptable abstraction, but it leads to the red die/green die creep that caused 2 die primaries to be utter garbage recently in 1.0.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think these are a lot of very good and needed changes, but given that I haven't felt the drive to play this in ages and the expense of getting 2.0, I think it's time to hang up the hat as well. I'll probably still keep my jewel like objects of wonder but that's a steep cost to get back into the game.

Also seconding that making Resistance/First Order their own thing is pretty weird unless the newer media suddenly makes a billion new ships and that's what they focus on making. Though it's a big problem in Star Wars focused games, you have so few factions to work with.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wish they'd taken the opportunity to put in some new die types. That's a little disappointing.

Accuracy/damage decoupling seems to be a thing now, with ion weapons doing the first hit as damage and the rest as ions.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

It's an acceptable abstraction, but it leads to the red die/green die creep that caused 2 die primaries to be utter garbage recently in 1.0.

Power creep would've happened regardless. I mean, TLT is basically separating power and accuracy and it was OP af.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Numbers posted:

I think FFG's definitely done some work to make 2 die primaries more effective by basically making everything key off the original roll rather than added results on defense. I suspect the ghost will have reinforce rather than evade for that reason, similar to the changes that came to the firespray.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I think FFG's definitely done some work to make 2 die primaries more effective by basically making everything key off the original roll rather than added results on defense. I suspect the ghost will have reinforce rather than evade for that reason, similar to the changes that came to the firespray.

If most 0 agi ships don't have reinforce I'll be very surprised. We already know the Deci does, and it's honestly about time too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/ posted:

How many ships does each Conversion Kit convert?

The number of ships supported (by maneuver dials included) in each Conversion Kit are:

Rebel Alliance Conversion Kit

3 – A-wing
2 – ARC-170
2 – Auzituck Gunship
2 – B-wing
2 – E-wing
2 – Ghost
2 – HWK-290
2 – K-wing
2 – Millennium Falcon
2 – Phantom I
2 – Phantom II
2 – Sabine’s TIE Fighter
2 – U-wing
2 – X-wing
2 – Y-wing
2 – YT-2400
4 – Z-95 Headhunter

Galactic Empire Conversion Kit

2 – Alpha-class Star Wing
3 – Inquisitor’s TIE
2 – Lambda-class Shuttle
2 – TIE Advanced
3 – TIE Aggressor
3 – TIE Bomber
2 – TIE Defender
4 – TIE Fighter
3 – TIE Interceptor
2 – TIE Phantom
2 – TIE Punisher
3 – TIE Striker
3 – VT-49 Decimator

Scum and Villainy Conversion Kit

2 – Hound’s Tooth
2 – HWK-290
2 – IG-2000
3 – Kihraxz Fighter
2 – Kimogila Fighter
4 – M3-A Interceptor
2 – Mist Hunter
3 – Protectorate Starfighter
2 – Punishing One
3 – Quadjumper
2 – Scurrg H-6 Bomber
2 – Shadow Caster
2 – Slave I
2 – StarViper
2 – Y-wing
4 – Z-95 Headhunter

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reworking Evade to convert a die rather than adding a result is definitely a step in the right direction.

Again, we don't have the whole picture, so it's possible I'm worried over nothing, but this was just my first reaction. A lot of the changes are definitely positives.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Completely unrelated, anyone interested in splitting some of the conversion kits?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Completely unrelated, anyone interested in splitting some of the conversion kits?

I'm interested in a single set of Defender bases and a WHOOOOLE bunch of plastic spaceships lol

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm very ready to burn all of my old physical materials and restart with a conversion kit and new core. Bring it on, fuckers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm glad that all the mini american cards are gone. Those things were a kind of a pain to sleeve/store compared to the zillion products made for standard sized cards

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I love all the gameplay changes they listed, and I'm happy enough buying a new core set for the new T-65. I only play casually these days and really don't want to buy conversion packs, so hopefully I can get by with squad builders to track that info.

e: oh right, some of the bases change size. ugh

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Since the official New App is gonna be basically required (and free) and the cards will have 0 points costs printed on them I wonder if they'll eventually just let us print lists off the App and bring it to tournaments instead of 30 different cards.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Since the official New App is gonna be basically required (and free) and the cards will have 0 points costs printed on them I wonder if they'll eventually just let us print lists off the App and bring it to tournaments instead of 30 different cards.

Yeah hopefully they see the light on this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm also pretty sure not every upgrade from 1.0 is going to be in the conversion kits.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Panzeh posted:

I'm also pretty sure not every upgrade from 1.0 is going to be in the conversion kits.

They've never said that there would be 1:1 conversions for everything. Just that every ship will be usable.

To me, that reads that not every upgrade will even exist. I'd be shocked if every pilot had a 1:1 analogue, too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How long until 2.0 becomes a bloated mess and we are calling for 3.0 or worse, pining for the days of 1.0?

By the way? I'm loving stoked for 2.0 goddamn.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man..... I am willing to bet Fel's Wrath will be the new OP

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

They've never said that there would be 1:1 conversions for everything. Just that every ship will be usable.

To me, that reads that not every upgrade will even exist. I'd be shocked if every pilot had a 1:1 analogue, too.

Depending on the ship, i'd venture to guess that for the normal 4-pilot ships, all the pilots will be there, though their abilities probably won't be the same.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

How long until 2.0 becomes a bloated mess and we are calling for 3.0 or worse, pining for the days of 1.0?
It's an asymptotic scale. Once you break the second edition seal you start on a rapid downward path until 40k happens and you're trying to run three versions of the game at once with different rulesets for different markets.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

By the way? I'm loving stoked for 2.0 goddamn.

Early pushback over price - starts now
Resurgence of 1st Ed players pining for the good old days - Starts wave 2, all but gone by wave 8
2.0 starts feeling bloated around wave 12
By which time I'll be old enough not to care.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am so drat happy for 2.0

I am so drat sad because a lot of the people I play in my small town are stating they won’t get 2.0.

They are complaining about cost even though the pricing is awesome to convert.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

$50 is quite a lot for cardboard, especially if you need two kits, just for one faction.

Now that I don't need to buy other factions I'll probably skip the Imp and Scum kits but having to buy a kit to play Reistance too is a bit much.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Raged posted:

I am so drat happy for 2.0

I am so drat sad because a lot of the people I play in my small town are stating they won’t get 2.0.

They are complaining about cost even though the pricing is awesome to convert.

Eh, I think that's maybe overly dismissive. If you like running XXX or swarms of stuff (and I do, sometimes), you're looking at multiple copies of these. Upwards of $250 worth of cardboard at retail easy to keep playing with your spaceship dolls. That's a steep re-buy-in for any tabletop game.

At least Curled Paw's awesome 2.0 maneuver templates will probably be their same reasonable price.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Booyah- posted:

Yeah hopefully they see the light on this.

There is absolutely no chance they won't make you bring all the cards for tournaments above seasonal kit level. Organised Play is a pure marketing tool, taking the marketing aspect out of it is flat out not gonna happen.

Panzeh posted:

There's literally not a single upgrade I've see so far that is the same. Very few pilots are identical to their old versions. Several ships have new dials.

In short, none of the old cardboard is viable except probably most of the templates.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fuuuuck, I was going to sell off my cards this week!

2.0 does look great, but no way I can afford that buy in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Man, I look at those conversion kits and think "that's pretty awesome." It's got 2-4 of everything. That's a fuckload of new content.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The amount of people bitching about conversion kits is hilarious, especially when a lot of them were bitching about the lack of cards-only update kits for the X Wing not a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get a core and treat my X70 and FOs as the new ships just to knock around, then probably skip the conversion kits in favor of getting new solo packs as they look interesting.

So if the new A wing pack in 2019 looks rad I'll just grab that and have two ships.