Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thespaceinvader posted:

New thing: evade tokens no longer add an evade, they change a result to an evade (source: the team cov demo video)

This owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

$50 is quite a lot for cardboard, especially if you need two kits, just for one faction.

Now that I don't need to buy other factions I'll probably skip the Imp and Scum kits but having to buy a kit to play Reistance too is a bit much.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, I look at those conversion kits and think "that's pretty awesome." It's got 2-4 of everything. That's a fuckload of new content.

It's cool to both be excited for 2.0 fixing the game and also realize the conversion kits could've been priced much cheaper/provided more of some ships and less of others (3 decimators?)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Honestly the conversion kit will probably help me out since I'd rather go mono-faction anyway now that they're distributing upgrade cards in a sane fashion and I bet that kit will have a ton of 1.0 cards that came on ships I never bought.

This is where I'm at, though having to buy Resistance separately when Rey/Poe are my favorite ships kinda sucks

alg
Mar 14, 2007

hoiyes posted:

My argument is that without Xwing 2, 80% of my collection (including the ships I like most and most want to fly) continues to sit in a box or folder unused and unusable in near future. Until, like the T-65 or Defender or Starviper for example, the purchase of a $40 box just to fix a single ship or two at a time.

$50 to bring dozens of my ships up to scratch at once is a steal.

There is no guarantee anywhere that any ship, once converted, will be useful

alg
Mar 14, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

Interesting rule change I just noticed while watching previews: If you declare an action, and that action is illegal, then the action just fizzles and you don't get to change. So if you declare a coordinate, but you have no allies in range 2, then you just lose the action :v:

I guess this means no more free range checks with target lock.

This is really really good and hopefully not just a mistake they made

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Ask him if he'd prefer FFG saying that all 1e content is useless and you can't even use the old ships.

They could also just charge a more reasonable price for a box of cardboard. They had lots of options.

That guy should probably just pick one faction to buy and not buy any food for his kids for a month though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would you consider a reasonable price for a box of cardboard?

How about $25 or $30, FFG and Disney both make a nice profit, and keep a bunch of people buying and playing.

These same people have to buy another core too which is $40ish isn't it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/274933-new-information-from-live-stream-today/

No tlt or harpoons gently caress YES

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

This is fantastic news.

This is really really good

But I'm still riding the no tlt and harpoons high

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe we will finally get Yoda

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m so goddamned pumped over this still. I got in December of 2015 with the TFA core and went in hard. Problem was a lot of ships I wanted to fly were woefully outclassed, which was frustrating that a game called X-Wing has X-Wings as a ship be such rear end.

For those that were around when X-Wing was first announced back in 2012, was that what this is like? Excitement over the rules and gameplay?

I had no idea the game was going to explode like it did back then, so I was looking at it as a casual game.

The regional I went to in 2013 had 4 players :niggly:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

After years of leagues the only tip I have are

Don't assign matchups, just let people play. The worst thing is to make time to go to FLGS after work and have a no show.

Only run a month. People will lose interest over two months

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/xwing-second-edition-organized-play/

I really like the idea of thematic events, which they sort of half rear end tried in 1.0

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Virahgo better have rear arc

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

I wish I was around for Wave 1 with just the basic ships. That’s what I love about the direction 2.0 is taking, with maneuvering being very important along with actions. Combat seems more brutal where the matches are over quicker. Imagine 30minute matches rather than the slog of 75 minutes. Especially against a fortress or someone who just continually boosts out of range.

It was basically just rolling dice and hoping to get lucky. And playing TIE swarm or not playing at all.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Smegmalicious posted:

I just saw that Vader is 84 points. That seems like a lot for an ace. I wonder if this signals a general move away from aces and named pilots?

They did say that aces will be more expensive, which is a welcome change.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

E-wing finally has a usable dial now, Norra and Miranda got nerfed pretty hard. Otherwise this looks really fun

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I like that they made Soontirs ability dependant on offense and it now requires some talent

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Jumpmaster dial is a bit of a turd

It's about time

alg
Mar 14, 2007

there has never been a good app in the history of tabletop gaming

so FFG barely has to do anything to make it the best app ever

alg
Mar 14, 2007

hoiyes posted:

There's usually way too much going on in a game of Xwing to have it easily represented on a smartphone screen, especially with the amount of cards with individual charges now.

Not to mention issues with syncing, tech in general etc.

WarRoom has already provrn you can't play from just an app and have fun.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nice to see Shara Bey got Norra's ability instead of it going away

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Holy poo poo the tears on FB over Outrider :munch:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lone wolf is also garbage now and no Rey

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lots and lots of ships are staying the same or getting better. The YT-2400 is getting objectively worse. Not sure what you want.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Umm classic dash was like 58 points for a long time and people paid the price willingly because he was a monster. I don't really consider Dash to have been nerfed in any way for 2.0, losing two arcs for dice in the donut is probably an even trade, and the new outrider title is bloody good. Furthermore, they're really cranking up the premium on ace-level pilots. Maybe Leebo will be sub-100, but if you expect the new Dash build to be less than 100, you're going to be disappointed.

I think people are expecting him to have a Gunner slot, which will put his power curve to the stupid level, something like Bistan on him would just be dirty. I hope FFG has adhered to the fluff on this one, as apparently dash ripped out the Gunner position to fit the cannons and they're controlled by Leebo in the cockpit.

And the Falcon has mobile arcs, which have nothing to do with its fluff and were only really related to one ship in Rebels that actually did have a turret controlled by the pilot.

The YT-2400 should get gunners because the stock ship had them and it makes sense mechanically.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Luke gunner at 30 seems kinda ridiculous tbh. I think theyre falling into the same trap they did post wave 3 where they got so affraid of B-wing efficiency they priced the E-wing and defender into uselessness. At least this time they can adjust bad prices faster.

Yeah almost 2x the old Emperor is a little insane but hopefully they make the app worth it and push monthly fixes when they see stuff is underperforming.

alg fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 4, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ffg forums posted:

If a 74 point corran double shots at initiative 5, surely an initiative 1-2 defender can do the same for 72... right? 

I'll be sorely disappointed if a double defender list can only shoot once per ship. How many times can the Ghost shoot, ffs? 

I can't tell if these people are real anymore. He does have a stormtrooper avatar though

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://screenrant.com/solo-star-wars-story-millennium-falcon-different-design/

quote:

The Falcon's famous quad laser cannon turrets are missing in favor of a much smaller single gun on top, again, more in line with early designs by Ralph Mcquarrie. The single gun appears to still be a turret, but obviously is much less firepower than the ship packs in the original trilogy, a very understandable (and handy) upgrade.

It's not clear if this version also has a ventral gun turret, but old expanded universe designs for the stock YT-1300 light freighter depict it with a sole dorsal quad laser cannon, with the Falcon's ventral turret being one of Han's many upgrades. The pointed nose and single gun instead of a quad cannon are already a departure from this original design, though, so there's no reason to adhere to that, it's merely the most complete original design we have to compare it to at this time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They made some concerning comments:

ffg posted:

MB: Clearly, you're talking about Luke (Gunner). Obviously, this card has been contentious. There are a number of interesting factors at play in the design of this card, some of which people have picked up on and others we want to highlight here:

1). Some cards are calibrated more for certain modes of play than others. Luke (Gunner) is a great example of a card that is targeted—and costed toward—use at the casual level. It helps new players get a handle on the mechanics of turrets, but rewards them for “proper” use of the rotate action and good flying (because they can spend the Force point on modifications instead of rotation). However, its high cost means that taking it at a tournament level probably isn’t optimal for many builds.

2). Speaking of cost, one thing that has changed enormously in Second Edition is the thought process behind costing upgrades. Simply put, upgrades can cost a lot more than they did before. Previously, individual upgrades only very rarely cost more than 10-20% of a ship’s cost. Now, an upgrade that brings as much benefit as an inexpensive ship (such as Luke (Gunner)) will cost as much as an inexpensive ship.

3). Many people have pointed this out, but it bears repeating: Luke (Gunner) interacts differently with the core conceit that flying ships is important, but it doesn’t invalidate it, because Luke (Gunner) is always better if you don’t need to use his ability to rotate the turret, which you accomplish by flying your ship correctly.

4). Finally, and this gets most to your point, one thing people haven’t picked upon as much is that Luke (Gunner) fits in very closely with the mechanical theme of the Force in Second Edition. The Force allows characters to do things that would normally be “impossible” (yes, even for a computer). Force powers and Force user characters get to do things nobody else can—but they have to choose which tricks they want to be able to do, and they pay for this flexibility in points.

FB: What he said.

Intentionally pricing stuff so it can't be used in competitive play is....not a great way to design a game.

But also some interesting ones:

quote:

MB: Players really like dice modification effects, but too many dice modifications that don’t require particular conditions or flight patterns make the game less healthy overall. Dice randomness might feel bad in the moment, but dice certainty makes for a weak game experience overall. So, to this point, we wanted to make sure that you can still get dice mod effects, but you have to engage with the core activity of the game to get them or they cost some sort of diminishing resource. You'll notice a lot of dice modifications (like Predator) are now restricted to the bullseye arc, or are now charge-based like Elusive.

Edit: also only 3-4 points changes a year and they believe they won't have to do emergency changes. Not filled with confidence.

alg fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Casual players can play just fine with well designed game pieces that fit into competitive. It doesn't work the other way around.

Obviously FFG, including the current devs, don't have a good track record with playtesting and releasing balanced ships. So only 3 or 4 changes a year and saying they won't need emergency changes is concerning.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I guess you can make bad choices and play competitively but making good choices will lead you to a better outcome on an easier path? Lol what reasoning do you need to understand that. Trap choices are bad design.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lol those are so specific

alg
Mar 14, 2007

R3-A2 becomes unusable, Expertise becomes unusable, VI and Adaptability are almost unusable, PTL becomes effectively Soontir only, no changes to Harpoons

That guy has a clear agenda and really bad ideas about the game

Edit: also his stated goal was to make dice mods less prevelant then he made Fenn Rau trash. Lol

alg fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 16, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Bombs and Harpoons had pretty much already killed 1.0 for me, 2.0 can't come soon enough. They should do worldwide release for Gencon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

uncle blog posted:

Seems that many of the 2.0 cards in Saws Renegades have pretty big errors. Advanced Sensors allow you to take additional actions for instance. I guess the first release needs some extensive errata. Also, there are no quickplay cards included. Was looking forward to testing 2.0 based on those. Now we’ll just have to figure out a couple of even squads by trial and error. Which isn’t too bad. The first batch of cards being wrong kind of sucks though.

Source: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/278039-so-we-need-errata-already/

Lmao

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The tournament rules say 11 days between release and the tournament, I think

Edit: I kind of regret buying Saw's Renegades, the models are kind of poo poo and with cards that don't even work for 2.0, it was a waste of money

alg fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 22, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Oooooo this is smart:

There is no longer any difference between "unique" and "limited" cards. They're all called "limited" cards. And you can have as many limited cards of the same name as their are dots.

Like Luke Skywalker has one dot. You can only have one Luke Skywalker card of any kind.

I don't think there are any two- or three-dot Limiteds yet, but there's some cool design space there.

Edit: Like Mindlink, if it exists, could be a two-dot or three-dot Limited

Just like the old Decipher ccg

Edit: no sign of losing your action if you fail a boost/br or lock...

alg fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/27/man-your-ships-1/

Points values pdfs