Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I believe the TIE Interceptor was also a response to the development of the TIE Advanced, with Sienar seeing the Advanced as too expensive, hence the development of the Interceptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Madurai posted:

Two mod slots for Interceptors...

:eyepop:
The only difference in this regard between v1 and v2 is that the lower PS pilots also get two slots now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can create a Xwing channel in the goon boardgaming discord if you guys want.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Might as well.

If it dies, it dies.
Invite for the boardgaming discord

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So I had my first few games of v2 after almost a year off and hmmmm... Iden is pretty bad design

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think she's that OP, I just think that taking design elements like that is a bad direction to go into and this kind of abilities were some of the worse things that STAW did way back.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think t's a low interactivity, low strategy type of design. It's the same issue for me with the original Palpatine, and the way that they fixed Palpatine should have been the way that effects such as these should have been formulated from the start, because at the moment you can always pick the correct time to use it due to the way that the effect works.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Gate posted:

Iden is legitimately bad design, because it punishes the player for engaging with the game and there is effectively zero counterplay. You can't pick Iden off, and there's very little you can do to force it to split away from the group. Iden gets to choose when it activates so they can roll defense dice first and see if they get lucky and don't need it (rather than say, activating it before defense dice are rolled and negating any large incoming hit). You can't block it, strip the ability early, or anything else. It's going to stop a nasty hit or a killing blow, guaranteed.

It's just bad. It and Supernatural Reflexes were the two cards I saw on my first glances at 2e and went "Are you kidding?" Now, luckily for everyone, TIE Swarm hasn't been a huge contender so far in the meta, which may or may not change. But Iden itself is pretty poor design.
Yeah pretty much this is my reasoning as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

This whole conversation honestly feels like two groups of people talking past each other

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I ran Vader mini-swarm last week and it was kind of fun. It reminded me of running ace miniswarm ages ago. The x1 is decent if you run Vader/Maarek, but that’s not much different from what it was like in the old version. I’m kind of glad that hyperspace is available because it gives me a lot of nostalgia for when I got started.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is it that much cheaper to get 1e ships that it offsets the cost of the conversion pack? Apart from someone bulk-selling their 1e ships, of course. By the by, anyone in the UK interested in buying Rebel, Resistance, Scum or First Order ships (just the model) for cheap? :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ugly John posted:

Wondering what that list would look like... Something like:

Vader + Hate + FCS
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics
Iden
2xAcademy

? (That comes at 199. No real bid to speak of)
I fly pretty much this but instead of hate and swarm tactics I get an Arterburner for Vader. It gets a lot of use and lets him flank a lot more easily

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't see what place the torrent really has, everyone i've talked to doesn't really see much place on it for listbuilding. I'm liking most of the stuff for the CIS, can't wait till they bring out a model of the tri-fighter especially.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

4 bombers with barrage and soontir with no upgrades for 200 points looks really tasty and legal for hyperspace. That's a lot of bodies that hit relatively hard on a joust.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played some separatists for the first time. My thinking so far:

Maul with Hate is amazing, Grievous crew is good if you are running miniswarm with him, scimitar is probably wasted on him though, it definitely feels like a Dooku upgrade.
Droids felt a lot more survivable than what i thought they would be like. Networked Connections really help if you can keep them tight together. I think a group of 5 or 6 is a minimum though. Energy shells are good, buzzdroids are a tad gimmicky and I'm not sure if they are that good considering you lose the calculate.

Bulballab doesn't seem great.

So the star seems to be the Sith Infiltrator.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

?

You don't lose the calculate unless you choose to use it to mod with.
I'm talking about the buzzdroids/discord missiles. To launch them you spend a charge and a calculate token. It really decreases the resiliance of the swarm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm playing around with the Maul Miniswarm archetype because I think it has legs, but I'm not sure which of these two is the better direction to go into:

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
Jamming Beam (0)
Count Dooku (9)
General Grievous (3)

Trade Federation Drone (20)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Or, while keeping the 5 drones, change to Maul with Hate and Kraken instead.

Kraken would mean that I want Maul to stick close to the swarm and keep their calculates up, which would make the swarm itself a lot meaner and more resilient.
On the other hand, Grievous and Dooku makes for a pretty mean and survivable ship that doesn't has to keep the swarm in range and can therefore be a lot more free to roam/flank etc.

I'm leaning towards Grievous/Dooku myself, as good as Kraken seems to be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can probably do a list that will do alright, yeah. The issue is that low numbers of droids are much less survivable because networked connections are not as powerful. I would keep the droids as lean as possible and just rely on two ace-like ships instead:

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
Count Dooku (9)
Proton Bombs (5)
Scimitar (4)

General Grievous (47)
Treacherous (3)
Impervium Plating (6)
Soulless One (10)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Total: 200

You can play around with Maul since none of his upgrade apart from Hate are strictly speaking necessary.

EDIT: yeah The Gate had a similar idea. I think the use of Maul and Grievous and two lean drones is a good idea.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Or if you don't like Maul:

Count Dooku (61)
Heightened Perception (3)
Chancellor Palpatine (14)
Scimitar (4)

This is a pretty fun build. Either you fire at I7 and immediately cloak, or you get fired at while cloaked and decloak in time to perform your own shot and potentially jam whoever fired at you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think Maul is pretty much the star player for the separatists at the moment, although I think all of the infiltrator pilots (including dark courier) are decent since the base ship is solid.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I am very unimpressed by the Belbulab in the games I've seen. By time you build it up, it costs almost as much as an infiltrator, and the infiltrator is just better.

So do Maul + Dooku, with their favorite tricks, and still get two vultures. Maul even gets mods for both of his shots. And the vultures are at i3 so they can shoot before massed generics like y-wings and arcs

Darth Maul (65)
Hate (3)
General Grievous (3)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

Count Dooku (61)
Heightened Perception (3)
Scimitar (4)

Separatist Drone (22)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)

Separatist Drone (22)
Energy-Shell Charges (4)
Total: 199

I completely agree on the Belbullab, but two sith infiltrators wasn't within the constraints that bunnyofdoom posted :v:

EDIT: Honestly from what I've seen of prequel stuff so far, but the Belbullab and Torrent are clunkers

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 27, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Removing a cloak token != decloaking.

E: the Torrent with Dedicated is reasonable, to be honest, but by far the most efficient thing in the whole wave is the generic arc.

E: I have so much fuckery to try out tonight.
Ah thanks, wasn't aware there was that distinction. It's still a good trick though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just have 8 torrents vs 8 droids. Although with energy shells and 8 points to spare, the droids would still have the edge.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm honestly puzzled why the torrent and belbullab aren't in their own blisters, and why those blisters haven't even been announced yet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just like the look of my tiny little bulbasaur

(I need to paint it green). Is Sear* at least worth it in swarm?)

*Who is a Kage warrior. I dumb

EDIT:

Belbullab-22 Starfighter - •Captain Sear - 59
•Captain Sear - Kage Infiltrator (39)
Soulless One (10)
•Kraken (10)

Vulture-class Droid Fighter - Trade Federation Drone - 20
Trade Federation Drone - (20)

I could also drop title/kraken and get an 8th trade fed drone.
I think the limit on ships is 8 on a single list, so you can’t do 8 drones and sear. Also I prefer energy shells over a 6th drone but that’s just me

Edit: I thought I saw a limit of 8 ships somewhere but I can’t find it now

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 27, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been running tests with Maul Miniswarm and I think Maul with Hate and Kraken and 5 droids with Energy Shells has worked really well for me. Kraken is almost essential because it keeps the swarm alive thanks to the token sharing. I think I would struggle to keep 6 droids in formation and ensure that everyone is at range 1 of everyone else for optimal token sharing.

I've tried the discord missiles but they were relatively ineffective. It's difficult to judge the launch and using them forces you to discard a calculation token, which weakens the swarm as a whole. Grievous crew is really good but you just don't have the points for it unless you drop the energy shells or kraken. If you want a more survivable Maul that doesn't have to stick to the swarm, Grievous and Dooku crew are a good combo. Haven't tried the struts yet but I've seen people put them to good use, and they are pretty nice even for the ability to ignore rocks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I need to organise my storage and was wondering: what do you guys have in terms of storage solutions? I just want to store my dials/bases etc, not the minis, and maybe have something small enough that I can keep all my imperials in one box and my separatists in the another box.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Was hoping for the tri-fighter :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looks interesting.

The geonosian fighter appears to have a bullseye arc and a turret, which is interesting.

EDIT: Seems that his turret cannot point backwards (make sense) and after moving, he can gain a tractor token to perform a turn arc action.

That's actually really interesting: you can basically get a free turn of the turret and also do a semi-boost or barrel roll at the same time, every single turn. And then ensnare allows you to potentially dump the token. That's some crazy stuff!

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 13, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

hoiyes posted:

The PS6 pilot is also insane - when attacking, if the defender is tractored, roll an extra attack dice. He's gooood.
Man I can't wait now. I really wanted a model tri-fighter but drat that's an interesting looking ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah really not worth it. They are fun to use but pretty bad competitively.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i think the most effective lists for CIS are at the moment:

- Maul with Dooku/Grevious Crew and Hate + 5 i1 ESC droids
- Sear/Wat with Kraken and 6 i1 ESC droids
- 4 i1 ESC droids and 4 i3 ESC droids
- Janky 2 infiltrator prot torp lists
- Dooku hate/scim, Maul hate and Grievous with Soulless One/Impervium.

I've been flying Maul droids myself and Dooku crew is pretty much the best upgrade in the entire faction. Either giving yourself a guaranteed 1 evade for most shots coming your way, or helping you get crits, or helping to go over rocks, there's so much stuff you can do.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really can't wait for the Geonosian fighter to shake up the scene, the problem with CIS at the moment is that grievous and dooku crew are really good but they really limit what other ships you can bring with you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Spiggy posted:

I want to like Maul with 5 ESC droids but I cannot fly the droids to save my life. I can usually get the range 2/3 engagement reliably but their repositioning isn't clicking. I know I want to go fast, reload, and get back in but that either takes too long or everything gets caught in a scrum.

I'm going to borrow an infiltrator and ruin a double list at some point. They remind me of 1.0 brobots with how slippery they can be.
When I started playing the 5 ESC list I thought the way to go about it is trying to reload the ESC, but I think it's actually not a great idea and once you do the initial salvo you should just scrum and only reload opportunistically. Moving the drones out to reload usually doesn't work and makes the droid pop (making the reload useless) or just makes the opponent focus on Maul (which is what they want to do anyway). I've had a lot more success just doing the salvo then scrimming at close range, which the droids can excel at due to the 1 k-turn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly think that if you aren’t using Dooku on someone with Hate, you are wasting the incredible potential of the crew card. Like sure it does mean that you can use Maul more offensively, but lists will just chew up Maul instantly if they are prioritising targets correctly, and Maul would always be my target against that list. With Maul with hate, I’ve had situations where I had 4+ evades on Maul on a single turn and was still able to mod an attack. Being able to use Dooku more than once per turn really turns the card from “a good card” to “straight up busted”

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 28, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Just making sure I understand: you're suggesting you DON'T use Maul's extra attack in favor of using Dookrew for defense?

I'll have to test it out. It literally never occurred to me not to use Mauls' extra attack, so when I tried Dookrew on him, I was very much not impressed.
It's highly situational and you really need to call it in terms of many different factors:

- Will the double shot initiative kill something that might fire back at Maul?
- How many arcs are directed towards Maul?
- Are you firing at something that likes to arc-dodge and are you unlikely to be able to fire at them again easily?
- How many drones are left and how many arcs are they facing?

3 or more arcs on Maul will usually mean that I don't double-shot and I don't use force in offence. I actually kind of prefer having to face i6 enemy aces because it means that I can tank their shots with Dookrew before I make my own shot and still be able to double shoot/use dooku offensively (although you usually don't want to end up in a situation where you are left with 0-1-2 force at the end of the turn).

But yeah, the games where I've had the most success have usually been the ones where I've been able to use Dooku multiple times in a round and then still use him to help out a drone in either defence or offence. I usually only use Maul ability as a killing blow later in the game since keeping Maul alive is so important.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 28, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I want to get back into this, just casually and also to meet up with the people I used to play with before. Some of the lists that I enjoyed the most were like 3 gunboat/QD (before 2.0), or during 2.0 I used to run Maul + Mini-Swarm. Wanted to try this that somewhat reminded me of 3 Gunboat/QD:

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)
Afterburners (7)
Total: 194

Any thoughts? Not really sure what's good or not anymore since I haven't played in years and the only thing I really played in 2.0 was the Maul + Mini-swarm list.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 28, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, this is purely a for-funsies list, nothing competitive.

So maybe modified a bit to this:

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (4)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Torpedoes (12)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Rockets (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Proton Rockets (5)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)
Afterburners (7)
Total: 199

Did you mean the Barrage Rockets instead of Protons?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only issue with running 4 gunboats is that I only have 3 gunboats :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Turns out I was dumb enough to buy a 4th Gunboat, so I actually can try out that list.