Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hey 1.0 still exists what gives?

But yeah, definitely time for new shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

New thing: evade tokens no longer add an evade, they change a result to an evade (source: the team cov demo video)

E: indeed, the team cov video has a whooooole mess of content, as do the announcement articles for the three factions. E.g. Firespray and Advanced dials are getting fairly massive buffs (1 turns and 3 trolls, and 1 straight and 3 trolls respectively)

There's also going to be more stuff that monkeys with setup positioning

Seismic charges blow up rocks and do damage to things near them

Etc etc etc etc

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 1, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I am super loving hype. THis is gonna be great; 1.0 is sytill a great game but it's been creaking at the seams since before I started playing and that's been getting more and more obvious. The ability to flexibly bupdate points and slots to tweak balance will be SUCH a boon, and more moving parts means more interesting options for design, and more design space, without half-arsedly juryrigging new mechanics in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

It was fun being at FFG for this today, but boy are the non-Xwing people upset. Heard a couple of guys who changed something (hotel, airfare, ?) just to make this because it was billed as a Star Wars PR event, and they play Destiny. Oh well.

I think they turned the stream off after the stream questions ended. Here are a few other things that were said:
  • They said you can use your old templates, but there's something special about the new 1 straight as it pertains to barrel rolls.
  • Frank said language and style guide for consistent terminology is a top priority now, across all localized languages.
  • Threat levels are only for Quick Build plays, not main Organized Play events.
  • Turrets work differently depending on the ship. Some are two opposite sided arcs (Falcon), some are single arc (HWK). Let's them mess around with the design space as we go forward.

Also they gave out the new X-Wing pack for attending the event.

Those non-xwing people should be loving GLEEFUL they will be able to scalp those x wings on ebay for a GODDAMN FORTUNE.

E: speaking of which, my wallet is going to sting for a while - but equally, I really don't expect to need to buy many expacs for a year or so, and £200-odd isn't much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wish they'd taken the opportunity to put in some new die types. That's a little disappointing.

Accuracy/damage decoupling seems to be a thing now, with ion weapons doing the first hit as damage and the rest as ions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I think FFG's definitely done some work to make 2 die primaries more effective by basically making everything key off the original roll rather than added results on defense. I suspect the ghost will have reinforce rather than evade for that reason, similar to the changes that came to the firespray.

If most 0 agi ships don't have reinforce I'll be very surprised. We already know the Deci does, and it's honestly about time too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Completely unrelated, anyone interested in splitting some of the conversion kits?

I'm interested in a single set of Defender bases and a WHOOOOLE bunch of plastic spaceships lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Booyah- posted:

Yeah hopefully they see the light on this.

There is absolutely no chance they won't make you bring all the cards for tournaments above seasonal kit level. Organised Play is a pure marketing tool, taking the marketing aspect out of it is flat out not gonna happen.

Panzeh posted:

I'm also pretty sure not every upgrade from 1.0 is going to be in the conversion kits.

There's literally not a single upgrade I've see so far that is the same. Very few pilots are identical to their old versions. Several ships have new dials.

In short, none of the old cardboard is viable except probably most of the templates.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The amount of people bitching about conversion kits is hilarious, especially when a lot of them were bitching about the lack of cards-only update kits for the X Wing not a month ago.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lofi posted:

I can't think of any better way they could have done it, but as an occasional player with ships in every faction., it's a massive price to ask. I'm casual enough that this probably forces me out. Unless I sell off my rebs and scum, maybe.

Ditto.

The price is a concern for me too. I'll probably skip out on Rebels for a while again, as I don't have very much of the plastic at all, and much of what I do have is Resistance anyway.

Doing just one faction is a lot more viable though this time round, as they seem to be following the LEgion/Runewars model and not releasing upgrades usable by all factions in only one faction's kits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I went to a Q1 kit today.

Won one of my two conversion kits.

First time winning any tournament, though I wouldn't saya ctually my best performance, that's easily the UK system open this year.

And yeah, 2e cannot come soon enough. I'm hoping we'll see rules online in the next couple of weeks, it would make sense to avoid misinformation i think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I’m curious to see how bombs are handled. I’d love to see auto damage removed completely from the game.

(Dial) bombs are instead dropped all at the same time in the System phase, between planning and activation.

Some bombs do still do autodamage, but they're a LOT easier to avoid now.

Also, I can now say I've played two world champions. I even beat one of them!

(Nand and Sim, for the record, and it was Sim I won against XD)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

alg posted:

They did say that aces will be more expensive, which is a welcome change.

They did. They've learned apparently that high PS and lots of repositioning is worth a huge premium, especially in a world with dramatically fewer perfect-info bombs and much more dodgeable turrets.

And Vader's ability is by FAR the best ace ability we've seen to date. With Afterburners, he can boost, roll, focus, and lock, all in the same round, for no stress, and still have a force left over to mod with later. It seems likely that doing even two of those, and especially two repositions or two dice mods together, will be almost vanishingly rare.

Vader has the best pilot ability we've seen so far, and I'd be surprised if it's not the best in the game. It should cost.

Arquinsiel posted:

Upping the points to 200 allows for twice as much granularity too, which is a nice touch. Means we're not going to have the problem of upgrades that are too good to be 1 point but not good enough to be 2 points either being no brainer includes or wastes of points so much anymore.

Also, charges allow for much more flexible use of upgrades, too. If a one-use upgrade is not costed right at one point or two points, but the same upgrade with infinite use can't be costed right either, then cost it at two points and make it two- or three-use.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The HWK is trash without TLT.

I'm expecting most of the ships to be decent, some to be exceptional, and very few to be outright trash - and for the first two to switch around with a decent amount of regularity, as they flex prices to keep balance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tacopocalypse posted:

Interesting. None of the Crits that require you to spend an action to repair have you roll a die to flip them.

A huge, huge improvement. Adding random rolls to stuff for shiggles was one of the worst things in 1e.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Munitions on Y wings are super questionable, especially if you're already buying a turret. You'll probably never fire even two of the four torps.

Dunk both torps and both EMs, buy a z.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

3 TIE/d Defenders with Ion and Tractors will probably clean up in that format.
4 TIE SFs is good too.

gently caress three /ds, 2 Juke x7s and one with... I dunno, Draw Their Fire, or A Score to Settle... will tear that poo poo to shreds.

Similarly Echo will be close to untouchable and can even take an actually-useful EPT.

I'm thinking Oicunn Echo would be a solid list.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Advanced Cloaking Device is on the banned list.

Derp yeah.

THen probably the defenders.

Swarm Leader vess and the hyperjousters is a great one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yup.
Make him hit better by giving him cruise or prockets rather than chardaan.

But also, you run into the perennial problem with Jake that whilst intensity is basically written for him, PTL and VI are both better. If you have no PTL, you can't have focus/TL in the same turn, which is bad. If you have no VI, you can't move after Miranda who is basically hell on wheels for you. SO you need both, and you lose Intensity. Which in practice isn't outstanding anyway, unless you have easy access to multiple tokens without it and can reliably keep them. Because you have to keep one to spend on it at some point, and it's easy to keep pressure on you to make sure you can't.

In short, Intensity is a brilliant, balanced card, and intensity Jake is a brilliant, balanced ship and the rest of the game is busted to gently caress and bring on 2e already.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd love to see a new 2.0 Vassal module but maybe won't happen until there's a 2.0 rules ref.

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if it's not already in the works, and if it's not going to be out well before the launch date.

Indeed,, I have this vague inling with no particular basis that FFG actually use vassal for playtesting, so I owuldn't be at all surprised if there's a private release of it already.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The barrel roll mechanics, probably the decloak mechanics, maybe the tallon roll mechanics, plus adding the bullseyes, midlines, and quadrants onto all the ships - especially the midlines, those are going to be relevant for a bunch of stuff.

Not to mention implementing the medium base. And the charge mechanics and force mechanics. Etc etc etc. E: and primary turret arcs, and mobile turrets on stuff other than the Lancer.

E: and the stat values haven't been added manually for like... a year or something? They autoload from the builders now, so at least partly, they need to wait until they know how, if at all, the official builder will offer its lists.

Seriously, there's a TONNE Of minor changes that will need a bunch of hard work with the backend.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 15, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Sabine is interesting

I missed sabine what does she do?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Force Power is a slot?? So, Force Power upgrades??

Yup. We've seen 2 so far - sense is Intel Agent at 0-1, spend a force for 1-3. Instinctive Aim is Deadeye, but spending a force rather than a focus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

IG-88A: Agressive Automaton
IG-88B: Brutal Battledroid
IG-88C: Conniving Contraption
IG-88D: Deadly Device

The alteration is preserved in at least the German translation, possibly in others.

I thought i wouldn't like the subtitles to start with but this one persuaded me :3

I'm pretty hype overall, but dang, some of those rebel ships. The Outrider is pretty hellish.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so hype for double YVs. Moralo is gonna be hilarious. And play really well into my tendency to accidentally trap myself in corners.

Recoome posted:

Ugh I hope Garven Dreis still comes in an X-Wing cause it’s killing my Yavin vibes

We already know he does.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

They laughed at my for having two YV-666 models, but who is laughing now??

I legit bought a second one in May the Fourth sales.

I enjoyed converting and painting my first one, so why not? Especially now I have an airbrush.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

Do we know what the game considers "evading"? The updated old Millennium Falcon title adds an evade action plus this text:
So defending and evading are different.

'Evading' is 'have an evade token'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Did they say whether these were all the ships in the pack or just a teaser? I mean, I assume the latter...

Definitely just a teaser, there are a whole bunch of pilots we know from other sources they didn't mention.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

How viable are tractor beams in first edition? I like the idea of a little space tug that's 80% engines grabbing a tie fighter and flinging it into an asteroid but i have no idea how good it is or will be.

Tractor Beam, the card, is basically only useful on the TIE/D, and then, not very.

Tractor Tokens are superb. But the best way to apply them is the Shadow Caster title.

The Quadjumper is a super high variance ship. If it dies in two rounds, which it is wont to do, it is basically useless.

If it lives long enough to start wrecking enemy formations, it can be the catalyst of victory, trivially.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Smegmalicious posted:

They killed Ryan’s green (blue) K too.

Sad.

She doesn't need it any more, since PTL is gonzo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Supposed to be starting in June to the best of my knowledge bu ti have my doubts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just hoping they public beta the gently caress out of this app so that it doesn't fall over on launch day.

On an utterly unrelated note, who's coming to Euros/UKGE?

I'm playing on the Friday and the Sunday, and dressing up as a stupid space pirate with a parrot droid on his shoulder on the Saturday, I'll pop through into the tournament hall to say 'hi'.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 21, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LanceKing2200 posted:

New FFG article

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/21/take-action-1/

I think the only actual new info is confirmation that the reload action only restores one charge on one torpedo/bomb/missile.

The info that Reload works on Bombs is actually new and useful. E: also Dutch, Old Terry, R3 Astro, R5-D8, so actually a bunch of new stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Ghost is one where replacing based on broken pegs is legit because that thing is fragile as gently caress and it's super difficult to repair it if any part of that fragile assembly breaks, bbecause any bit changing height or being slightly off angle is a nightmare.

I used to request replacements whenever I broke a peg, but these days I just CBA, because I don't have the dials for them anyway.

Kinda regretting that now lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

Since i only got ship models and no cardboard so far i've been wondering: What is the width of the bullseye arc? It looks smaller than a movement template so maybe it's the range ruler width? Wich incidentally is the only template dimension i had trouble finding online. Is it 12,5mm?
Both 15mm

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

flightless greeb posted:

Huh they really are mixing it up with the pilots, pulling in people from battlefront games, hopefully not in place of Howlrunner!

HOwl's still in AND her ability now works on herself as well as her friends!!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd be pretty surprised if there's not some Solo material in wave 2.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

new Article

Only new things spoiled are Ion Cannon Turret and I guess Veteran Turret Gunner, that can only be installed in on ships with mobile firing arcs it seems.

We've known about both since the first demo games.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I can't believe they doubled the size of the bomb cards and still couldn't find the room to tell you what the bomb does.

This bugged me a lot until I realised that they needed to also include the actual picture of the bomb token to show which one to use.

But I'm sure they could have done it somehow, even so.

And nonetheless, it's a step not-forwards, rather than a step back, so I shrug and say welp and move on.

Rhjamiz posted:

Played my first game of X-wing via TTS yesterday, which was I assume 1.0. Had a lot of fun fielding 7 Black Squadron TIE Fighters. Almost won, too. Next time I want to try Phantoms or Interceptors. Interceptors are the coolest TIE.

I'm excited to hear that TIE swarms will be getting some love in 2.0. Sounds expensive to get into fresh tho.
Not pparticularly more so than 1e. The small ship pack costs have gone up a bit, but the large ship ones have gone down, and if you can scalp a ragequitter's old ships on ebay for cheap, the conversion kits will make it a breeze.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Full Rebel conversion kit on facebook https://www.facebook.com/ProTechModels/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1428450600589583

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There's definitely a lot to like here, but Luke crew and the YT2400 are *really* concerning.