Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Funzo posted:

This hits stores on Thursday right?

Friday was the date quoted, but unless anything goes weird I expect to get mine tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Don't tempt me. But double deci plus has always been something a bit interesting to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Now that I'm at a keyboard, i can give a bit more in the way of thoughts on this.

First and foremost: if you're interested in running Imperial Beef in Extended format, quad lambdas is just flat superior. I truly and honestly don't know why people aren't flying quad lambdas as a serious option. I feel I could make the cut at a major event like a System Open with Quad Lambdas. The amount of health and board presence and efficiency is ridiculous.

It does require good range control and thinking one turn ahead, though. Maybe that's why. (List is 3x OGP: one with Moff J, one with Sloane + Hull, one naked, plus Sai with Title)

But if you want something that requires a bit less in the way of thinking ahead, double-deci lambda (aka Imperial Bulk) is solid. It's a very good New Player list as it has a very high floor. It's hard to do poorly with it.

The goal is for every ship that can possibly be attacked by the enemy to be reinforced. That means Sai coordinates a reinforce (preferably the deci without Tua). Everyone else should target lock, especially the ship with Krennic.

Then just shoot things while taking minimal damage in return. :shrug:

I like to start my decimators with their arcs forward, only rotate once you're past the initial joust or if someone is being a sneaky bugger with an ace.

Don't be afraid to use the red coordinate on your decis to let Sai coordinate; the action economy he generates is worth the stress token.

I'm not, and I'm much more interested in running stuff I own than stuff I don't either way ;)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wapole Languray posted:

Recently got back into this after falling out near the tail end of 1e when the meta got real lovely and 90% of ships were garbage, so I have no idea how things work. I got the core set and Empire conversion kit, what's some good newbie friendly lists to try to re-learn the game?

what stuff do you have to play with?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

So FFG finally gave us an answer on the revealed maneuver thing, and naturally they interpreted it the stupid way. Oh well

Srsly tho

It really irks me that Cova now gets to have her cake and eat it with R4, especially as that's just not what the R4 card says.

FFG were never doing amazingly well with 2e and technical writing, but the last couple of waves feel like they've taken a marked tank in quality from that standpoint.

Specifically, it feels like they're doing a lot of 'well this is what we MEANT to write on the card, so we're going to FAQ it so it works that way even if that's not quite what it says', rather than either working from what it does say, or errata-ing it, which was a big issue at the end of 1e, because you simply couldn't rely on a complex interaction working as written, because they might have meant it to work some other way.

It's an issue that's been in the game from minute one, with bonus attack not being a meaningful keyword, but it seems much worse recently.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 18, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

I too am annoyed about a mid-tier ship getting a minor buff due to a sensible rules ruling.

Yes that is definitely what I'm annoyed about.

Your reading comprehension is top notch there scout.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

In 2e you can lock other friendly ships. Locks are red tokens which trigger Matchstick's ability. This is why he's 7 points over the next cheapest pilot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I played Sun/Maul/311 last weekend. 311 was a huge boon to Sun, being able to load him up with a token stack makes him much mroe survivable, and Maul having Kraken means he can mod two eyeballs in addition to his lock, between two attacks in the first round which makes him much stronger.

Protip though: don't roll lovely on Sun's attacks. I had such a bad dice day, I managed to roll 4/10 results on Sun's two r1 bullseyes with Pred in one match.

It was a big problem; I didn't manage to take anything off the board, and got horribly murdered.

But conversely, in the match where 311 popped Fel with his ESC, and Vader and Duchess were the only ships left on my opponent's side, I felt like I was genuinely bullying. Sun just wrecks face on low ship number small base only lists where he has the option of giving away first player.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Raged posted:

Might give this a shot. Don't know if this has too many moving parts to consistently win though.

Sun Fac (54)
Ensnare (24)
Predator (2)

Ship total: 80 Half Points: 40 Threshold: NaN

Captain Sear (39)
Soulless One (6)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 4

DFS-311 (23)
Ship total: 23 Half Points: 12 Threshold: 2

Chertek (39)
Ensnare (10)
Predator (2)

Ship total: 51 Half Points: 26 Threshold: NaN

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Separatist%20Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z357X248W127Y308XWW229Y337XWWY356X248W127&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

You *really* want Kraken if you're going to make the best of 311. I don't think he's worth bringning without.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Double firesprays will clown on Sun, if you bring plenty of bombs.

There's a lot less space for him to dodge into, he can't ensnare you or get his ability, and he has no shields and 4 hull so he gets fonged by bombs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dunno. I just look at these 3 ship Sun fac lists and I'm like....what is your plan vs sinker swarm, droid swarm or basically anything that doesn't crumble immediately after losing a single poorly flown ace?

sun/maul/311 versus sinker swarm: decent chance of killing off one or two torrents in the opening volley, lose most of maul, kill another two next round, lose the rest of maul, sun wins. Doirds are even easier, Sun more or less can't fail to splash one per shot.

But it's a pretty high variance list, which means I really shouldn't run it anything other than casually.

Protorp Anakin (Y Wing) is silly. but not remotely worth putting anything else on except just maybe R3. Aim to fire for effect twice, then anything else is a bonus.

Chopper is super fun on Obi Wan and will be amazing on Anakin assuming that he interacts with Anakin's ability as expected, but RR1.05 makes me think he probably won't.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Signal posted:

So, what should empire bring against multiple Nantex fighters?

Double decis with bombs.

Aces with a huge bid.

Luck.

Tears.

My worst and only loss with Sun Maul 311 at the weekend was against Vader and 4 instinctive concussion inquisitors, who got a touch lucky in taking maul down very early, and in not losing a ship very early, so they retained enough ships to killbox sun and the rest was history. Sun failing to do more than oen damage off two 5-die predator shots with either focus or 2 calculates also didn't help, though in one case I could have spent the calculates, I held them for defence then didn't use them.

But in all seriousness, RAC with some bombs is a pretty good counter, they hate crits, and they hate big ships without defence dice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

TIE Punishers with missiles and/or bombs can do some good work too.

This is a clever thought.

RAC/Redline FTW.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

E. Nesbit posted:

Nantex self-own a lot with having to move their turrets when they tractor. Only having flown against them they seem tough to fly well.

They're tricky but it's easy to overestimate how tricky. It takes a little thought, but the sheer breadth of options they have after executing their manoeuvre means that Sun in particular is often operating with essentailly perfect information.

I usually found that as soon as he was engaged at all, he just never wanted any move that wasn't a 1 turn, and once you finish your move you threaten an area of roughly range 5 by range 3 depending on exactly where your arc was and where your enemies are.

It's bananas how easy I found it in some cases to have put in COMPLETELY the wrong move and simply do a different reposition, a different arc spin, and change targets to blat someone else entirely.

You need a big ship advantage, good killboxing, and lots and lots of luck to do well against him with small base ships.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sun has Ensnare and maybe Predator, though given the low return on it I'm dubious it's worth taking over a bid, and I'd proabbly replace it with Crack Shot. Maul has Hate, Greivous, Kraken, Jamming Beam, 311 has Struts, Failsafe, and ESC.

Instead dropping 311 gets you Dooku and Palpatine on Maul instead of Greivous which means he's got stupid amounts of Force, but I think the extra shot in the opening is more important.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

...just built this and it is 201 points....

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Separa...seps%20sun&obs=

Did you put tractor insteadf of Jamming by any chance?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Sun's dial might as well have only hard 1s on it for all that I use anything else with him once I've engaged.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BuffaloChicken posted:

Kare Kun reads "While you boost, you may use the [1-turn left] or [1-turn right] template instead."

If I declare a left boost with Kare and use the 1-turn left template, then am unable to place the ship in that position, may I use the 1-bank left template instead?

The rules reference for barrel rolls specifically says you declare the direction (left or right) and then may use, for example, a forward-left roll if your back-left roll fails. But there's no such language for boosting, because most ships never have the option of multiple left or right positions. Kare is an exception.

No. You choose the template, if it fails, it fails. You don't get to change from straight to bank, why would you get to change from bank to turn?

It;'s not like a t-roll or barrel roll, there aren't multiple finish positions, there's one per template, and you get to choose one template.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Funzo posted:

Wait, can the Nantex rotate it's arc after bumping? The wording on the ability says after executing a maneuver, not after Completing a maneuver.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Exactly. It says executing, not completing, meaning you can do it while bumping, hitting a rock, even being stress(To get the tractor at least)

Executing vs fully executing are the relevant terms. Completing a manoeuvre is not a rules entity. You can't do it whilst you're stressed, because you can't pay a cost for an effect you can't complete.

Funzo posted:

I wonder if that's intentional, or a result of FFG's inconsistent rules wording.

They claimed on stream that it's intentional but I think that's just arse-covering, based on the fact that they changed Odd Ball's ability.

If it IS intentional it's incredibly frustrating to see given that they learned this lesson in 1e (with TIE/x7) and applied it in early 2e with everything, and now they're reversing it.

If it's a mistake it's ALSO incredibly frustrating given that they can't be arsed to hire a good technical writer/editor.

I'm getting so over X-wing at the moment, it seems like all I do and all I hear is whinging about rules.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And playing matchup tag (Sun Fac is a HUGE matchup tag problem in a tournament), and point fortressing, and long, long games, and underpriced regen, andlots of double modding generally, and and and and.

There are plenty of things that could be done to fix a lot of these issues, more if they were willing to do some very minor errata (particularly moving Limited dots into the PDF/app, and adding Limited dots as an option for ship chassis) and rules changes (particularly making bids count as points lsot rather than retained somehow, and maybe making it only possible to spend one force per attack for its default effect).

But the writing and balancing issues are just baffling. But conversely, the game is more popular than ever, and they're not going to change their behaviour unless people stop buying it.

Which I'm very seriously considering at this point. I've only been down to the FLGS once in the last couple of months and it was just as miserable an experience as I remember, and I have new priorites for spending what little disposable cash I have.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the new trailer is absol;utely not short on ships or on 'making you basically know the plot of the movie in one go'. I'm slightly irked that I watched it. But not that irked. Whether or not the plot is all that, there's gonna be some good space fights.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the 'technically it's not fortressing' defence went the way of the dodo with the floor rules.

Not that fortressing ever needed to be ruled against anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The sad thing about that HST was that there were several occasions that the SV player could easily have jumped in and killed a ship, but he wasn't willing to risk it, the sadder thing is that he ended up winning because his opponent set a dial to send a ship off the board after a 2 hour match at 1 in the morning.

I don't know what x-wing is, but it sure as poo poo isn't that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Funzo posted:

I would think changing the rules so that any points you have as a bid go to your opponent at the start of the game would help create some urgency.

Bids should count as upgrades, essetially.

For the long form version of my rules around bidding, it would be something along the lines of 'as soon as a player has lost any points at all (i.e. had any ship go down below half health, even if it later goes back above half health), the points bid count as having been lost' - then you're not prevented from scoring 200-whatever wins, but you don't get to regen into them, either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Funzo posted:

Got a rules question. Can you take linked actions off Passive Sensors? Like if a ship has a red rotate off Target Lock or something. The way it reads, I assumed you can't, but it's not completely clear.

Yes you can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Maybe X-Wing should have never been competitive and just stayed to kitchen tables.

Well yes.

But if it had been, I guarantee you we wouldn't be talking about it now, and it would have quietly petered out after a couple of years like RuneWars.

Competitive play makes games like this work at all. Without OP support the game would have died in the cradle.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Last night at league I watched quad starvipers go up against triple nantex.

It was cathartic and also gently caress starvipers hate rocks and tractors.

STarvipers hate tractors generally, because the ship ability makes their tractored barrel rolls banky too, which in turn means that Nantices gently caress with them all the harder.

Funzo posted:

This kinda got lost in Starviper chat. Anyone have some suggestions for good Tavson builds?

I mean, what more do you need than just the base ship? Electronic Baffle, maybe, Collision Detector if you can afford it, but you don't want much, and you actively want to avoid stress so you don't need AS. And it's such a high priority to kill if you can whilst it's out of position, stressed, or just to load all the possible damage into whilst it's already spent its charges, that putting too much into it just feeds points to your opponent. Especially on something which simply can't win in the endgame.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm sure this will get lost in rules chat, but let's talk Imperial Aces vs Jedi Aces

We've seen resounding success in tournaments with the Imperial Aces archetype with lists like Soontir/Vader/Duchess and Vader/Whisper/Grand Inquisitor.

Is there any particular reason these lists seem to be doing better than similar lists using Jedi?

Something like Ani/Obi/Luminara has multiple force on everyone, damage mitigation via Lumi's ability, assorted astromechs, and the choice to aim for huge bid or take force talents like Sense and Precog. You can swap out Luminara for Plo for higher initiative, if you like. (You can throw Ric into this discussion too, if you like, but he's the only non-Jedi Ace worth talking about)

Why aren't they doing as well as the Imperial versions?

2 agi vs 3 agi, and the Imperial versions have more I6 and can afford deeper bids.

Like, if you're only going to have three ships either way, do you want I4, 5, 6, or I5, 6, 6?

And also, don't ever use CLT it's terrible on everyone except JUUUUUUUST maybe Obi Wan, but then he's only ever focussing, so he's not double repositioning, or locking, so he doesn't hit as hard.

The big thing that swings in their favour is regen. Especially now that multi-action shenanigans on Anakin are out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I don't have a mining TIE, but I do have a scum conversion kit and an excess of standard TIEs from the plethora of starter kits I've gotten over the years.

Time to break out the hobby knife and yellow paint

The MGT isn't in the Scum conversion kit, it's 2e only.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, I just looked at the tip top. There are more than a dozen "tier 1" lists there. There's even MORE stuff, including multiple new archetypes, as you move down, that might be a bit weaker but are still within striking distance. Sometimes all it takes is one bad decision to lose a game, after all.

The way I see it, player skill is the deciding factor, not listbuilding.

Or dice luck. Dice luck is often a deciding factor even in top tier games.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

You seemed determined to not like this game

Am i wrong tho?

(I've more or less come to the conclusion that I'm not going to play x wing as a competitive game any more, since the devs seem determined not to develop it as one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

thespaceinvader, your posts here, and on the FFG forums, indicate a great frustration with the way the rules are written. You have other complaints, but that is the one, big, driving factor I've seen to your frustration.

There is validity to this; FFG could do better. Undoubtedly.

However, consider that you are allowing the perfect to be the enemy of the good. The rules are not perfect, true, but the vast majority of players think the game is as good as, if not better than, it has ever been. X-Wing is not a perfect game, but that does not mean it is trash. A thing can still be good, and enjoyable, and even competitive, without being perfect. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that most popular competitive events, including nearly every pro sport, could be described as "good, and enjoyable, and even competitive, but not perfect."

You are welcome to your opinion. You are free to continue to believe that because the game is not perfect, the game is trash. Hell, feel free to keep complaining about it (just as we'll continue to refute your points).

But, man, ask yourself: why do you care so much? Why are you allowing such minor issues to cause you so much pain and frustration?

If I hated something this much, I'd just cut it out of my life. I wouldn't spend my time making GBS threads all over the thing I hate in some vague attempt to poison the opinions of others. I'd just move on, find a new hobby.

Perhaps you should consider the same. You'll be happier, and so will we.

Or stick around and be miserable. Whatever. Your choice, man.

Honestly I should probably just unsubscribe the thread at this point, so I'll probably go ahead and do that.

Same for the FFG forums.

I care because it's been a big part of my life for... six? years. I was extremely enthusiastic about the new edition, I put a bunch of money into it. I was super looking forward to Clone Wars stuff coming out, and it just ends up constantly disappointing me, and I spend significantly more of my play time arguing, being whinged at because things aren't going perfectly for my opponent, then losing, feeling bad either because I'm running overpowered stuff against casual lists, or casual stuff against overpowered lists, and rarely getting games which test my skill against their skill.

The devs fundamentally do not see this as the hardcore competitive game that the people who go to their 600-player tournaments do. They do not see it as needing magic-style levels of rules precision, they do not see it as needing errata when they gently caress up, they do not see it as needing precise language when people want it. Their response to people asking for precision in drafting is 'lol of course the thing works how we want it to work, why would it be otherwise' rather than 'we should make sure we don't make that mistake again, maybe consider a templating manual, a technical proofreader, or something like that'.

They see it as a beer-and-pretzels game between friends, and I'm happy to play it as such, and hope to continue to do so. But I don't see it as being worth my money any more, for tournaments, for weekly games at the FLGS (and I'll miss supporting my FLGS that way), or for actually buying the flawed product which will never get better as long as people keep buying it.

It's a sad thing, to lose enthusiasm to this extent for something you used to love.

See y'all on the other side or whatever I guess.