Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

LanceKing2200 posted:

I just don't see how it can possibly be better than "Decide first player randomly at start of game, alternate first player for every following turn".

When alternating you know when you'll have an advantage and to press that advantage, and conversely that you'll be vulnerable the following turn, which leads to the kind of tactical positioning decisions this game does best.

I disagree. I think that's the ruleset that rewards stalling the most of all options. You know you have brief windows of opportunity before your opponent gains the advantage, but after which the advantage goes back to you. Which means if you press that advantage now and make a mistake or overextend or just roll poorly, you've blown your shot while handing the enemy a chance to punish you. Potential gains are uncertain and usually minor, potential losses are devastating. And so, the game turns into a match of chicken and waiting for the other side to make a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Y'all seen this?

Kuil, aside from the error in the text, seems shockingly busted unless they will cost him so high as to make him unplayable, while Greef Karga might just put Gleb out to pasture.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

LanceKing2200 posted:

I'd agree that if you're going to do something that randomizes initiative, doing it before dials kinda defeats the point. If you know you're at a disadvantage, you'd just 1 forward or whatever and wait to engage.

I still think alternating initiative would be a better option (no rolling every turn, able to plan for future turns, no chance of someone getting lucky and winning 4 rolls in a row), but ROAD is probably the next best thing.

I said it before, but I disagree: if you have alternating initiative, that's the most powerful incentive never to take risks and always to play it safe. You know exactly when you will have the advantage and when you will be at a disadvantage, and the split is exactly one to one. Logically, unless your enemy blundered and left themselves exposed in a prime position for you to attack, you will never attack because you risk putting your opponent in a much better position when they have the advantage afterwards. It's almost always better to wait for them to make the mistake and pounce when you are advantaged, so that you maximise your chance of getting a decisive edge out of that one engagement and from there on can either afford to let the enemy chase you to catch up or just destroy what's left with that advantage.

Rolling off before dials means that you know when you have the advantage and when you don't, but you don't know for how long you will have it. Do you engage now and hope your luck holds? Do you wait for a better opportunity? What if the enemy gets the better result for the next few turns, can you afford to miss your good chance by turning away to escape for however long? There is an element of uncertainty that means you cannot rely on the next turn's initiative, but means you can still plan for this turn at least, and try to anticipate what you will do if your luck turns.

ROAD means you have no idea what will happen and a game can be decided when you randomly bump into the enemy because neither of you prepared for this specific version of the turn resolution sequence. Or maybe you can win that way! But lottery tickets are a lot cheaper, you know, at least in the short run.

I still prefer the bid system.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Floppychop posted:

Moving first vs moving last isn't strictly "disadvantage vs advantage" it's just being able to plan. Under the logic of "if you move first you're at disadvantage" that means under the bid system whoever has initiative will just be running the entire game and "never attacking unless the opponent makes a mistake". If that were the case then the win rate of having initiative would be so bad that people would just concede if they got outbid.

Obviously. Some lists actively want to be moving and shooting first so that they can set up blocks and force the enemy to spend green tokens before they have a chance to shoot back. That's why I speak of advantage and disadvantage, not first or last mover.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I don't think X-Wing 3.0 is coming and I don't think this is testing or probing for ideas. Note how they have announced a ton of changes (ROAD included) as set in stone, coming soon, this will definitely not change. If they're testing, they're doing it internally.

The game does not need a coordinated relaunch, it needs new releases. There has not been a new ship since Fury of the First Order and the Resistance Y-Wings in September. Beyond that, the nearest release is only cards, beyond that there will be the Gauntlet and the Mando ship, none of these have a release date yet, AFAIK. Other than FO and Resistance, no faction has received new models since November 2020 (which, I believe, was still under FFG).

AMG has had this game for what, a year now? And they still haven't put up an actual website for X-Wing; as it stands, you'd be excused for thinking they only release Crisis Protocol. Speaking of that, it gets regular releases! Every time I go to AMG's website (which, I'll admit, happens very rarely, since what would be the point?), there's something new (I think, my memory was never perfect). When X-Wing got new content (FotFO and the Ys), there was no word of that there. They act like they have no clue what they're doing, like they have no idea how to design for X-Wing, and it feels to me they're hoping they can reshape the game into something less competitive and more experience-generating (which, again, correct me if I'm wrong, seems to be the case with Crisis Protocol) because they'd find designing for that a lot easier.

Right now, the game is fun and involves skill and planning. I fear AMG will turn it into glorified merchandise for the latest Disney product.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
what is their issue with swarm lists

why so much hate

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Area control scenarios make no sense for X-Wing, a game where you literally cannot stop outside of niche cases, and are typically some of the most bullshit-prone objective types in miniature games in general.

Beyond being increasingly arcane, these rules are also going to slow down the game by a lot, I feel. Especially the principle that you're not actually bumping into the ship you're bumping (at least consequences-wise), but the ship you would bump if you could move to the end of your movement template.

All this runs counter to their stated objective of making X-Wing more newbie-friendly, but it does follow the other stated objective of making it more "thematic" (according to their perception) and my personal feeling that they start by arbitrarily choosing "this is what feels bad, to me," changing that in the simplest way possible, then building more changes upon that once they notice that it breaks the game. "We want bumping not to be a thing. Bumping into the enemy feels bad. So here's rules to let you bump into the opponent without consequence. But also people can bump themselves for tactical advantage. That's complicated and thus feels bad. Here's a rule to punish you for bumping. That will make the newbies feel bad, but we removed two feelbads for them so it's a net positive. These changes make Intimidation the most powerful talent in the game. Let's ban it. These changes make several pilots obsolete. Let's say they get an extra die while bumping. The house of cards is currently in equilibrium."

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2021

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Raged posted:

Had a game last night with all the announced rule changes. The new bumping rules suck. I was able to thread my ship through 3 ships without bumping trying to get a kill and had a focus target lock. My opponent screwed up and bumped into me. So now he gets to shoot me and I can't use any of my mods on attack or defence since we are at range 0.

I flew well and he made a mistake yet I was the one punished for it. Feels really, really, bad.

From what I gather, you can actually use your mods on defence at R0, you can't use them on offence. What a newbie-friendly rule!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They made a terrible mess with the ships. Suddenly every pilot has their own upgrade bar instead of that being the exception, and those differences can be extreme (check out Iden Versio, if you haven't yet). I also fully expect this new points system to ossify the meta almost completely, with each ship having 0 to 2 viable builds at most. You don't have to make trade-offs anymore, so just grab the good stuff and go.

Raged posted:

Just read the article and I am already not happy. No two ships lists. gently caress off.

AMG, February 2021: Scenarios will increase list diversity
AMG, February 2022: two-ship lists didn't work well in scenarios so we axed them as a concept

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 22, 2022

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
HWKs are less impacted than they seem, as Moldy Crow now costs 0.

What do you do with 18 points of upgrades on Braylen Stramm, though...

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
At this point, I think it's pretty transparent they're waiting to hear how the license talks go. If they had actually started designing stuff when they heard they were getting the game, or at least held to their original deadlines for rules changes, I could see them trying to make something of their own (and, in fact, I originally did not believe they would try to wait it out, although I was also expecting them to just move the old team to a new company), but by now nothing they put in the pipeline will have time to come out in any reasonable timeframe before they get or lose the license, so any work put into it is potentially a waste of money.

Instead, they're putting it into a game that has a safe license (and one that they have proved they care for, which they have not done for X-Wing).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Madurai posted:

I'll once again futilely maintain that Juno Eclipse should have been in a TIE bomber, not an X1.

TIE/sa are not currently legal in Standard, so I don't think they'll bother printing anything for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
TIE Interceptors are, for my money, the most fun ships in the game. Get two at least.