Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Raged posted:

New Zealand Nationals is streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/wiredunplugged

2nd round should kick off soon.

Really wish I took time off to go.

Hey, can I just say thank you for posting this. I live in New Zealand and had no idea this was on. I saw the final two games thanks to this, and am gonna tune in tomorrow. Thumbs loving up, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

ConfusedUs posted:

Hangar Bay lets you bring two lists and pick the one you like best. Is there a meta bogeyman you hate fighting against? Bring one of your lists as its hardest loving counter, and use it if the opponent brings that. Or, alternatively, bring a gimmicky list that has some hard counters and just don't fly it if you see those! Or bring two lists and fly whichever fits your mindspace best this game!

Oh, right. Like Warmachine did. That worked really well, all things considered. And with a game as low model-count as X-Wing, way less incentive to have your two lists differ by as few models as possible. Feels like a really easy short-term patch, at minimum.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hey folks, looking at dipping my toe back into X-Wing. (Mando s3 trailer during the wildcard game last weekend was what did it lol.)

I've checked the links in the OP and now have pdfs of all the new rules/points/scenarios. I last played circa Hotshots & Aces I, and after mucking around in yasb.app and metawing for a couple of days, I conclude that I'm going to need to make at least a few purchases in order to build a nice modern list.

So my question is: Empire or Scum, which is going to cost me less to get up to speed with? I have a huge Empire collection (no Heavy or Skystrike, but basically everything released before them). I have a middling-sized Scum collection (2 Firesprays, 2 Fangs, 2 Starvipers, a Jumpmaster, a Hwk, a Falcon, possibly a few others).

I was initially thinking Scum, due to said Mando hype, but my yasb/metawing research seems to indicate that Scum is going to be the more expensive to bring up to speed, with contents of Razorcrest and Pride of Mandalore, and to a lesser extent Gauntlet Fighter and Fugitives & Wotsits, strewn across modern lists. Empire on the other hand looks like I might be able to get by just picking up Battle of Yavin and/or Skystrike Academy.

Does that sound like a realistic reading of things? What am I overlooking? What am I overrating? Would love to get the thread's take.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

banned from Starbucks posted:

Gonna say Empire. A lot of scum is kinda unplayable right now. Pride of Mandalore was kinda meh for scum imo. Fangs are weak and overpriced atm. Skystrike + Battle of Yavin will get you a lot of value.
If you really like Scum I'd say get the Rogue-class fighter pack. It's one of the better ships available to Scum currently.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice/sanity check. Sad to hear Scum are so weak right now (and particular sad to hear that my beloved Fangs currently suck). I'll give the Rogue pack a more thorough lookthrough just in case.

Sounds like go Empire then though. :) That's fine. Most of my favourite Empire ships (Advanced, Decimator, Defender, Reaper) look to be in a very strong place right now. (Now watch New Zealand turn out to be completely sold out of Yavin, lol.)

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hang on... By default I'm going to need to track down a copy of Epic Battles as well, aren't I? That's where you get all the physical components for playing 2.5, right?

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The only thing you would use from there are objective tokens, but you can print them out from the scenarios pdf or buy third party acrylic ones for $5+

Oh that is good news. Third party acrylics sound just the ticket.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hey folks. Worlds is back, and the prizes are pretty rad - https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-transmissions/x-wing-adepticon-prizes

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
hey folks, is yasb.app up to date with recent points-changes? it says last updated 2022, and while i assume they mean the code-base, the points i'm seeing on a quick glance through look the same as they were like a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Napoleon Nelson posted:

yasb is up to date with the current points/ships. They just recently added all the Battle over Endor ships now that they're all revealed and we have points for them

oh excellent; thank you.