Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Because I'm not procrastinating at all.
I, wdarkk, Oath one Scourge Dreadnought by TTCOmbat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for March an Imperial Knight Gallant. It's from Games Workshop, and will be on a 170mm oval base.

Largest mini I've ever painted. Almost feels wrong to call it a mini when it'll be over half a foot tall.

Oath Complete! This guy was ridiculous to assemble and paint. Over 7" tall, sixteen points of articulation, swappable carapace weapons, arms, shield, shoulder weapon, faceplate, and head.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Approved!

Not long left til April folks

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

Oath complete!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I finished and photographed these a couple of days ago, then left town before posting. Almost a whoops! In any event, Oath complete!

It sometimes amazes me how much detail sculptors can pack into these teeny-tiny 15mm dude-mans. It also infuriates me, because if the detail is there I find myself wanting to paint it.

I am claiming this month's Life is better down where it's wetter challenge for the oil-spill (which is actual oil-based black MinWax, funny enough). I'm not sure it photographed well, but IRL it looks suitably wet and sticky.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the down where it's wetter challenge, I added oil leaking down the barrels and some pretty gross slimy stuff growing on the container

And here's a quick action shot

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

God painting these Neobots felt like a grind. It has taken far, far longer to get this team done than I ever expected and it was only a simple paint job!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 31, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete!

Here I finished painting this good boy:

March is a bananas month for me, so I'm glad I managed to get anything done, even just one dude. I need to get a warlock painted, I have three beasts done now!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
March Oath Complete!

1 collection of Witch's Den with some extra water work to claim Down where it's wetter.... Besides the bubbling cauldron, I tried to create a swirling magic effect in the font (which I can only think about as a birdbath). I added 'realistic water' a layer at a time and painted magic at each layer... Fun to play around with that...

I spent some time practicing writing up runes and painting some ideas for swirling magic:

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete
Did have more, with addition photo taken, but managed to forget to put it in the thread. No worries though - was a bit of a scrappy month.

Came out a bit shiny due to over-enthusiastic application of varnish.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:wal: OATH COMPLETE :stat:

Colossal Giant who is too big for my little photobox

With the alternate parts, unfortunately the cloak damages the body work when putting it on, so I won't be using it in future

Blaine and Blaine, claiming rescue ranger for them.

No challenge this week unfortunately, needed to get the Giant done and didn't really have a suitable watery thing to do for him

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, March is over. Onto the finale!

quote:

April - Wrestlemania!
Technique (You Can't See Me): Paint up a figure in a camouflage pattern or otherwise blending into their environment. The camouflage doesn't have to be applied to the entire model, e.g. you could have a partially activated 'stealth field' or a vehicle that is partway through being repainted for a new battle zone.
Scene (Title Fight): Create a small scene of two or more fighters locked in brutal combat! This doesn't have to be hand to hand, maybe you could have a sniper duel, battleships launching devastating broadsides against each other, or even a hapless adventurer stumbling across an angry dragon! The figures should look like they are interacting, but don't have to be a permanent part of the scene.

Don't forget that this month you can claim All Together Now, even if you're done painting for the season (make a collection post with everything you've done).

I'll probably get a new thread for Season 10 up soon!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for April

9 Delaque gang members for Necromunda, GW.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for April 2019:

One Gorkanaut, 28mm by GW

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter, do hereby oath 30 Colonial Militia, 28mm Warlord Games.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for April the following: 2 Secutarii Peltasts (25mm, Forge World), 3 Skitarii Rangers/Vanguards (25mm, Games Workshop), 2 Primaris Intercessors (32mm, Games Workshop), and 3 Primaris Reivers (32mm, Games Workshop).
I need a break from painting giant models, so I'm going to wrap up this season up with a bunch of little guys!

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I cratered that last oath like a 737 MAX 8, I'll have to pick up the slack this month.

I, Conan the Librarian, oath to complete these two stands worth of HRE Dragoons for By Fire and Sword in 15mm produced by the Polish company Wargamer.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, Oath for April one Rudras GunBot, from Infinity

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, oath for April 4 old school dwarves and a Death Dog

Dwarves are all Grenadier miniatures (from 1980 AD&D Dwarves boxed set #2003, waiting all of 39 years to be painted!) and one Reaper Bones Death Dog.

Claiming Scene: Title Fight for the vicious duel between dwarves and Death Dog, will do All Together Now, also Take One for the Team for the Dwarf group, and A Recipe for Success cause why not!

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do oath the following for the month of April: one WW2 British Crusader Tank (28mm Warlord Games)

Also, looking at the totals for this season going into the final month, I think congrats are already in order for Duct Tape. At this point, DT is the loving Gingerbread Man! Kudos!!!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I, Galaspar, oath for April 4 Primaris Space Marines, a Space Marine Captain, a Space Marine Devastator, and 5 Chaos Space Marines (GW)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for April

9 Delaque gang members for Necromunda, GW.

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for April 2019:

One Gorkanaut, 28mm by GW

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, do hereby oath 30 Colonial Militia, 28mm Warlord Games.

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for April the following: 2 Secutarii Peltasts (25mm, Forge World), 3 Skitarii Rangers/Vanguards (25mm, Games Workshop), 2 Primaris Intercessors (32mm, Games Workshop), and 3 Primaris Reivers (32mm, Games Workshop).
I need a break from painting giant models, so I'm going to wrap up this season up with a bunch of little guys!

Conan the Librarian posted:

I cratered that last oath like a 737 MAX 8, I'll have to pick up the slack this month.

I, Conan the Librarian, oath to complete these two stands worth of HRE Dragoons for By Fire and Sword in 15mm produced by the Polish company Wargamer.

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, Oath for April one Rudras GunBot, from Infinity

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do oath the following for the month of April: one WW2 British Crusader Tank (28mm Warlord Games)

Also, looking at the totals for this season going into the final month, I think congrats are already in order for Duct Tape. At this point, DT is the loving Gingerbread Man! Kudos!!!

Galaspar posted:

I, Galaspar, oath for April 4 Primaris Space Marines, a Space Marine Captain, a Space Marine Devastator, and 5 Chaos Space Marines (GW)

Approved!

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath for April 4 old school dwarves and a Death Dog

Dwarves are all Grenadier miniatures (from 1980 AD&D Dwarves boxed set #2003, waiting all of 39 years to be painted!) and one Reaper Bones Death Dog.

Claiming Scene: Title Fight for the vicious duel between dwarves and Death Dog, will do All Together Now, also Take One for the Team for the Dwarf group, and A Recipe for Success cause why not!

Approved, but don't forget to claim your achievements on your completion post ;)

----

Also, the March Gallery is up - https://imgur.com/a/Carlwvb - please check that your pics are in there, it's going for judgement at the weekend!

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Complete!

With this season coming to an end, I finally get to claim All Together Now with this madness!

Oathed and completed are: an Imperial Knight Gallant, two Armigers, an Onager Dunecrawler, two Sydonian Dragoons, two Kastelan Robots, a Cybernetica Datasmith, five Sicarian Infiltrators, a Tech-Priest Dominus, a Tech-Priest Enginseer, six Skitarii Vanguard w/ Plasma Calivers, three Skitarii Ranger/Vanguard with Omnispex, three Secutarii Peltasts, three Primaris Reivers, two Primaris Intercessors, six ruin walls, six crates, twelve Hormagaunts, one Lictor, eight Genestealers, three Tyranid Warriors, and last but not least a Darkoath Chieftain. Comes to a total of 58 models and 12 terrain pieces.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh wow the months half gone. I, Ashcans, oath a 28mm Adeptus Sororitas Battle Sister by Games Workshop for April

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

And to cap off another great oath (and claiming All Together Now) thread:

41 Models in total for Death Guard, Necromunda, Dark Age, Gaslands, Aristeia and Gloomhaven.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Oh wow the months half gone. I, Ashcans, oath a 28mm Adeptus Sororitas Battle Sister by Games Workshop for April

Approved!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:March judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Lazy Angel

Nice tie! Nice scarf! Crazy cool inside of the coat!

Second place, 2 points: KingMob

Nice and clean! I always like the pops of color in this colorscheme.

First place, 3 points: Duct Tape

Still great! Cool eyes, danger stripes and weathering.

Bonus, 1 point: gameraMan

Nice goo and... birdbath? Scrying pool? It a nice effect either way.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think I forgot to post my oath again. Derp.

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of April, Hugo Strange, Zatanna & The Electrocutioner. By Knight Models for the Batman Minature Game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
March Judgements!

Third place, 1 point - Ilor

Mmm, tiny historicals.

Second place, 2 points - Gamera Man

I really enjoy how textural these doodads all are. You've got nice faux-stone, some lumpy metal, bubbly goo, and scratchy wood. I'm not totally sold on the scrying pool - I think a little bit of bubbly detail around the edges, or some cotton smoke coming off it, plus a little tint in the pool itself would have given it just a little more depth.

First place, 3 points - Zark the Damned

Your scenery has some nice stone texture, but I'm guessing you freehanded the entire dice tower, and it's charming as hell. Bonus points for the big ork skull eyes moving. This is a delightful project and my favorite out of the entire month.

Bonus point - KingMob

I try and do my bonus picks around the monthly theme, but I picked out my favorite wet things in the main judging. This is an excellent piece, but it's not wet enough. The whole tank is very technically proficient - a lovely consistent, gorgeous metals, and meticulous but not overblown highlighting. But it's a Nurgle tank and it's kinda clean and sterile. I'd like to see another version with some serious mud on the tracks, verdigris on the bronze, and a lot of seepy, messy oil washing.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: March Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: gameraMan

Really cool swirling water effects here on the not-Pensieve, and I like how the bronze of the cauldron is nicely set off by its oozy green contents.

Second Place, 2 points: Zark the Damned

That MDF orc fortress is really funny, but it's this dragon...staircase...thing that got my attention. The pool of muck at the base is delightfully scummy and adds a sinister character to the grandeur of the altar above it.

First Place, 3 points: Galaspar

Those leaky barrels fit the monthly theme perfectly, and all the terrain has this wonderful, corroded feel that really sells the decay. The mob of minis aren't half bad, either; lots of character and bright, eye-catching colors, a fun counter to their ruined surroundings.

Bonus Point: Lazy Angel

That houndstooth liner in the jacket is tiiight. I know patterns aren't the theme this month, but the attention to the details on this guy are jaw-dropping.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo oath one Philethis by Reaper, 28mm (or dildo as my cousin says).

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

For the final time this season, Oath Complete!

Going for The Mr Try Hard Award on this one!

May - Straight Edge: Hazard Stripes all over the place
June - Hitting the Beach (Sun's Out): The glowy spotlights and screens
July - Getting back to Nature: Mushroom patches on the base
August - Netflix and Chill (Big Brother): The grot on the back is carrying various surveillance gear including an auspex, telescope and voxcaster for intercepting transmissions
September - Obligatory Conversion Clinic Month: Largely the converted Grot 'guardsman' using a mix of goblin and Cadian bitz, but also the base and the flattened doors
October - Choose your Poison (Cocktail Mixers): The blending on the power axe on the chest logo
November - Rip and Tear: Rhino door and the head of the unlucky guardsman the grot shanked to steal his uniform!
December - Multidimensional Mashup (The Most Ambitious Crossover Event Ever): The rhino door is a reference to my entry in March's Chapter Challenge in the discord, the logo in turn is the Stalker logo from Warframe
January - Every Step you Take: WIP Shots in this gallery - https://imgur.com/a/wup3PuN
February - Rough Stuff (Fake it): Hard to see in the photos but the grot's banner pole has wood grain painted on (same technique as last month's dice tower) and the banner has tassels painted on.
March - Life is better down where it's wetter: The small pool on the base
April - Wrestlemania (You Can't See Me): The Gorkanaut is in camo paint, thus rendering it nearly invisible to stoopid humies! (also this month's challenge)

And finally, All Together Now:

Normally I'd also include everything else I painted during the season (but didn't oath) but this time around that'd be impractical as it includes 2 armies and a ton of other stuff so my oathed guys'd get lost!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

I think I forgot to post my oath again. Derp.

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of April, Hugo Strange, Zatanna & The Electrocutioner. By Knight Models for the Batman Minature Game.

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo oath one Philethis by Reaper, 28mm (or dildo as my cousin says).

Approved!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
OATH COMPLETE!

Then I get ten more of these guys in this months WGI...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Season 10 starting imminently!

The new thread is up - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888356 - I will be working on the monthly challenges and new spreadsheet this week and hope to get them added ASAP.

I've just copied over the achievements and the rest of the details for now, please let me know if I've missed anything out or need to clarify something!

Thanks again to Electric Hobo and Dr Gargunza for volunteering as judges for Season 10, we still have one judge slot open if anyone else wants it! (my apologies if someone else has volunteered already and I missed it)

There's not long left on Season 9, best of luck to everyone getting their final oaths completed! Don't forget you can now earn the 'All Together Now' achievement with a group shot of everything you've painted this season, even if you haven't oathed this month.

grassy gnoll posted:

First place, 3 points - Zark the Damned

Your scenery has some nice stone texture, but I'm guessing you freehanded the entire dice tower, and it's charming as hell. Bonus points for the big ork skull eyes moving. This is a delightful project and my favorite out of the entire month.

Cheers, this made my day! The tower has some details etched in (like the ladder on the back) but all the planks are freehand, thw wood grain was a pain but ultimately worth it :)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Second Place, 2 points: Zark the Damned

That MDF orc fortress is really funny, but it's this dragon...staircase...thing that got my attention. The pool of muck at the base is delightfully scummy and adds a sinister character to the grandeur of the altar above it.

Thank you! This was a fun piece to work on, I'm a fan of the really weird AOS scenery GW has put out (shame the casting quality is so bad on the earlier stuff).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
As the judge bowing out, I want to hype the job up a bit.

It takes about ten minutes of your time once a month, and the most onerous task you'll have is deciding between two really great pieces for the top spot. It is exceptionally cool to go over all the awesome models painted each month and really dig deep into the skill displayed in producing each one.

I'm specifically ducking out because I haven't touched a mini in months, and I feel kinda weird having even a minuscule amount of authority over picking winners for something I don't have a horse in anymore.

If you have ever entertained even the slightest notion of volunteering as a judge, it's well worth your time.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath Complete!

Mixed results this month, pretty happy with Zatanna & Hugo Strange (even if white is awkward to both paint and photograph), but I buggered up Electrocutioner attempting to OSL some blue light from his shock gloves. I went way too heavy with the first coat of glaze expecting it to fade out more than it did. It went a bit chalky and overwhelmed the whole thing, so I tried to fix it and settled on this. Not sure the blue is showing in pics at all now so whelp. I tried a thing!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I don't know if it's strictly necessary, but here's an Oath Addition!!! (decoy truck covering - 28mm - wire, tissue paper, and PVA - scratch built):

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

For nest month I really need to set up a photobooth so that I can stop being lazy and taking middling pictures on my phone.

Also, here is All Together Now; compared to others I did a pretty paltry amount this year, but really I'm just glad to still be painting. I hope to finish more next round! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

In honor of this month's You Can't See Me challenge, I decided to make a party-hat for my Crusader, something along these lines:

And here's what I ended up with:

Now perhaps it's time to stay awhile and listen...

quote:

Private Nigel Potts took a step back to appraise their handiwork under the first orange rays of the sun just now rising over the Egyptian desert. "I have to say, it looks like it was cobbled up by a blind pipe-fitter and his cross-eyed tailor assistant." Potts' section NCO, Corporal Wyatt mutely nodded in agreement.

"It's as good enough as makes no never mind," grumbled mustacioed Platoon Sergeant Simon Hayes. Hayes made a few last minute trims and tucks here and there to the canvas stretched over the makeshift pipe and wire framework, securing it against the desert wind that was even now just beginning to stir. The silhouette was meant to resemble a Bedford QLD 3-ton truck, at least in the abstract.

"Lipstick on a pig, sergeant," opined Potts. Gesturing to this and the other Crusader tanks similarly covered nearby, he asked, "D'you really think this lot will work?"

"I think, Private Potts, that from twenty thousand feet and with one eye always lookin' out for Hurricanes, Jerry's like not to look too close-up." This entire armored column had swapped places overnight with a B-Echelon unit. Even now, those trucks were being fitted with similar decoy frameworks to make them look like tanks to aerial reconnaissance. The last of the brigade would make the swap in the coming night. If all went well, the Germans would be unaware that nearly the entire armored might of the British 8th Army was now positioned over 60 miles from where they expected it - and be poised to strike. But that meant yet another long night of work assembling the decoys and affixing them to the tanks as they arrived. "Right, lads, let's see what those fools in the mess have made us for breakfast."

"More hard-tack and bully beef, I'll wager," complained Potts.

-----------------------------

Later that same evening, Staff Officer Heinrich Stumm examined the take from the day's reconnaissance flights, the curling photos still smelling faintly of the chemicals used to develop them less than an hour prior. Though grainy and perhaps a touch over-exposed, one set of photos clearly showed a large truck-park comprised of British support vehicles. As expected, little had changed at the enemy truck park - a few more tire tracks, a handful more vehicles perhaps, but nothing out of the ordinary. Prior to undertaking any offensive action, the British would surely relocate their logistics units to better support an advance. As such, the lack of any real change indicated that the British were content to stay put for the time being. Stumm indicated as much in his report, which he signed with a flourish and passed to an adjutant, secure in the knowledge that his keen insights into the enemy's intentions (or lack thereof) would make their way to the planning staff at Afrika Korps high command.

Finally, we have All Together Now:

I actually got a lot more painted this year that I thought I had. This Oath season was fun, and definitely motivated me through some of the times when I was given to serious slacking. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate next season (I have a bunch of writing projects to tackle), but I can't recommend just jumping into the process highly enough. Big thanks to Zark the Damned for organizing this madness!