Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hell yeah, super excited to join my first Oath season!

I, Mikey Purp, oath to paint these bloody boys in the month of May.

Garrek's Reavers Warband from Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Oath Complete

Claiming Straight Edge for that crap rear end checker pattern on the shin guard, and Take One for the Team for the warband theme.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I, Mikey Purp, hereby do Oath to paint one Large Earth Elemental from Reaper in the month of June.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Oath complete! Claiming sun's out for the OSL.

I had a lot of issues with this guy from the point of priming, and he was also the first mini I've used an airbrush on, so I'm not super happy with the results but whatevs he's done!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Bonus point: Mikey Purp

This is going to start rough, but it gets better, I promise.

I'm not a big fan of the stone texturing on this paint job. I think maybe your wash was a little too harsh on the flatter surfaces, although it works well for the crevasses. All that said, this isn't just a nice OSL job; what I love about this is the attention you paid to your light sourcing. You've got a model with some pretty complex geometry, but you've done a superlative job making sure that two (!) separate light sources are accurately casting highlights across the piece. The shoulders and the knuckles of the mini's right hand are particular favorites. Theme-wise, I feel like this is the strongest piece of the month.

Wow thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback and fwiw I 100% agree with you about the texturing on the stone. I started off with one coat of nuln oil which was pretty good, but then got overzealous with a coat of agrax which muddied it up a bunch. I spent a while after that trying to correct my mistake and ended up over applying washes as a result.

In any case, lessons learned!