Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan oath two beds and a rug for May

Reading the May challenge for painting lines, since I was going for lined patterns on those beds last month I ended up stripping and re-priming what I had failed to finish last month, and threw in a rug as well.

Going for Straight Edge this month.

Hirst Arts casts for the bed but the rug is an old Earthdawn miniature from a set by 'Heartbreaker Hobbies and Games'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, Oath 1 Frost Giant King

Reaper Bones mini.

Shooting for Hitting the Beach, I've never attempted OSL should be interesting.

Has been a lousy couple of months for painting but I hope to change that this time...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete one Frost Giant King!

As with many oaths wish I'd gotten farther, plus something is just wrong with my camera and these images kind of stink:

I did attempt some blue OSL lighting from the sword and on to the king, plus he definitely has his guns out, so would like to claim the Sun's Out challenge (though I admit the pictures don't show the OSL well at all)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Hello ye judges -

A couple of questions before I next oath (and not claiming either this month):

(1) So for Rescue Ranger I was considering in a future month updating up the figure I completed last month. In the sunlight they look better than the pictures I posted in terms of color, but also show off the crap paint job from rushing last month:

This isn’t a case where I’d want to strip the figure and re-do, but instead would build on what I started. I still like the concept and the color scheme and he’ll be a central display figure so it’s easily a month of work for me. But would that make this mini too ‘far along’ for Rescue Ranger?

(2) For Spic and Span I have a more ‘mobile’ setup, and go from clean to mess to clean back again several times in a month. For example here’s how my setup looks from clean to mess:

Uncluttered painting board on mobile table:

Getting started on painting, note the clamps holding the board down.

In the midst of some painting…

But when I need to clean up I just put everything away and end up back at square 1, usually a few times a month.

Would that story count as ‘Spic and Span’?

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath one Rocky Outcrop for the month of July

That blob of green styrofoam on the left is what I'm calling the 'Rocky Outcrop' and I'll be using additional materials from the pile left of that:

Claiming Getting Back to Nature this month and looking forward to some terrain work.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!!

Enjoyed the terrain work this month… claiming Getting Back to Nature as it’s a whole pile of nature

Shown in context of how I was going to use to display

A few pics of progress along the way

Baseline

Loaded up with “Red Devil ONETIME Lightweight Spackling” and starting a dark grey undercoat (mainly poster paints)

Coated with some dark brown washes

Overbrushed and dry brushed with mid-grey, light grey, white

Black, brown, dark grey washes

more grey and light grey dry brushing

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath one WizKids Beholder for August 2018.

Claiming Big Brother because, EYES!!

Also will be throwing in Spic and Span to get that out of the way…

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 5, 2018

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
August oath posting too late but wanted to show it anyway!

Had pictures taken and ready to post and then personal stuff separating me from my computer messed things up last night... Thought I'd show anyway, I spent a lot of time thinking about the color scheme (and not liking online examples) and finally decided to sort of merge the two month concepts with a limited color scheme on the body to give it sort of a 50's horror movie vibe, and only color the eyes. Generally happy about that:

Had even been ready to show spic and span, one pic:

So at least I've got one more painted mini up on the shelf.

Anyway now I gotta decide do I take on another miniature project for the month or change gears to a large ship model project that will certainly not get done in a month, hmm....

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath one major demon (Rauthuros) for September

Never been a big fan of Rauthuros' weapons so going to do some sort of weapon switch and meet Obligatory Conversion Clinic Month. Weapons are from Warhammer lizard man army leftovers.

Reaper Bones Pathfinder demon mold.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
September Oath Complete!

Rauthuros re-armed (as part of Obligatory Conversion Month) with warhammer fantasy lizardman weapons and re-imagined as some sort of lightning demon:

I kept one of his original weapons but still modified:

more pics:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 bar with 4 bar extras for October:

Models all Hirst Arts. 28mm I think.

Claiming Choose your Poison cause drinking!

Going to do Spic and Span this time as well

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 9, 2018

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete

One bar and beverages for imbibing!

Before starting this one I didn't notice the bar top was perfectly smooth, so spent a couple days giving it texture:

(The part on the right is at the moment untextured)

Claiming Choose your poison of course.

Claiming Spic and Span, and given my mobile setup I have a couple of support pics:

Achieving maximum mess:

Paint and cleanup complete, as clean as it gets!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
For November I, gameraMan, oath 1 Fire Giant Jailor!

Reaper Bones, 25mm

Will include Rip and Tear for TBD additional damage.

Going to throw in The Daily Double
Which will be from June (Composition (Guns Out)), and January (Every Step you Take).

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
November Oath Complete!

Fire giant jailor, with a lot of cuts and scrapes for the monthly challenge:

I did what I thought was enough damage to the original figure for Rip and Tear but near the end felt like it needed a bit more, so he ended up with an arrow in his back:

So claiming Rip and Tear!

Completed Daily Double from June (Composition (Guns Out - all that fire giant skin)), and January (Every Step you Take).

Here are steps for Every Step you Take:

Early shot, following a bit of conversion work to give him a different stance:

First full coat:

His furry belt looking kinda funky pre-washes:

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 1, 2018

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Question...?

Wanted to check first, would this count for the monthly challenge Scene (Hey me, meet the Real Me!), for the two different scale Mind Flayers?

thanks!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, Oath 1 Mind Flayer and 1 Mind Flayer for December!

1 old-school Ral Partha pewter mini and 1 Reaper Bones.

Thanks Zark for the reply, including 'baby' mind flayer and older mind flayer for Scene (Hey me, meet the Real Me!).

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
December Oath Complete!

1 Ral Partha pewter mini and 1 Reaper Bones Mind Flayers say happy new year!

Claiming Scene (Hey me, meet the Real Me!) for 'baby' and older mind flayer.

It took me a while to decide on the white octopus color for the skin, I always had something like that in mind but when I started researching and saw everyone go purple I realized I must have made that up based off of the old black and white photo from the 1st Edition AD&D Monster Manual (my go-to source for all monster info).

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Ok time for my monthly question!!

Some ages ago I started working on this building which was supposed to be an inn, but didn't like how it turned out especially the floor so it's been sitting incomplete for a long time:

I was thinking for this month I would finally re-do this whole thing including re-surfacing and re-painting the floor, but also reworking the walls, adding windows, etc. Could this count as Rescue Ranger?

thanks -

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 terrain inn for January!

A combination of Hirst Arts molds for the floor plus a bunch of balsa wood n' stuff.

Will do Every Step You Take plus attempting to claim Rescue Ranger since I'm going to completely re-surface and repaint the floor, and also re-do the whole wall scheme as well.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
gameraMan January Oath Complete!

One terrain inn:

Claiming Rescue Ranger for the renovation work (the windows took forever lol) but I forgot to keep taking pictures so not claiming the monthly! I'm lame!

Here's one progress shot working on said windows:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Gnoll, 1 Bugbear, and 1 pile of treasure for February

Gnoll and Bugbear are Reaper Bones, treasure is WizKids.

Going to go for Composition, till you make it for Gnoll and Bugbear skins, Stay awhile and listen for some nonsense tale I've come up with the three pieces and Need 4 Speed which will be for the treasure.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!!

1 Gnoll, 1 Bugbear and 1 big ol’ pile of treasure…

Claiming Rough Stuff: till you make it for the hairy Gnoll and Bugbear skins.

Claiming Need 4 Speed for the treasure pile, pic right before painting:

final pic:

and Stay awhile and listen for the following nonsense…

The Loot of Rondoval

For eons the ruins of a fortress lay untouched, or mostly so, only inhabited by some simple creatures and nearly mindless beasts: the manticore and wyvern, the dracolich and the carrion crawler, plus the usual rodents and predators simply seeking a place to survive the terrors of the night. For an ancient glamour concealed the place from sentient beings such as humans and elves and the many sorts of goblin races that haunted the edges of civilization. To the passer-by, it looked as it it was simply another outcrop of treacherous rock and sheer cliffside… But inside lay treasure untouched for many years and in the current era effectively forgotten.

One day the glamour simply ceased: the ruins of Castle Rondoval were now exposed to any who might wander past. As to why the ancient magic might have simply stopped working cannot be guessed… It may well be that whatever sorcerous power source maintained the ancient spell simply ran out. Whatever the reason, the treasures of the castle were now available for the looting.

For the looters, it was perhaps unfortunate that so many arrived at nearly the same time…

A veteran band of gnoll marauders under the strict management of one named Fraufard was first to the scene. Fraufard’s scouts were without equal among gnolls and most other races, perhaps only horrid Elven scouts were of greater skill and training… Fraufard’s scouts managed to survey most of the upper castle with minimal loss. Only two gnolls were liquified from sorcerous traps, a third dis-embowled by a simple scythe contraption, and two more simply careless and as a result dropped into pits and impaled upon rusted spikes.

None of this was any great concern for Fraufard, who viewed such losses with what might be considered a Darwinist philosophy. But matters changed on the third day of looting with the arrival of a band of bugbears, a significant threat to Fraufard’s plans.

Grizzt’s band of bugbears had long raided human and elven lands, with just enough ferocity to win most encounters and just enough wit to escape retaliation when organized forces raised against them. Grizzt’s band finding Rondoval was entirely coincidental, or seemed so, but coincidence mattered little when loot was at stake. Grizzt’s band fell upon the ruins and upon Fraufard’s band as soon as the ruins were found.

The first encounter between the two bands was short, violent, and left nearly a fifth of both forces slain in a matter of ways. Both groups retreated to lick their wounds.

Rather than continue open warfare, each group took over a portion of the castle and attempted to continue explorations, however sporadic duels erupted whenever the gnolls and bugbears met. Losses continued on both sides at a rate that even Darwinist Fraufard had to face as unsustainable.

Finally Grizzt and Fraufard called a summit of sorts, and in a shared goblin-tongue came to a truce. The groups would take turns exploring the ruins, and all loot was collected into one shared pile, under the constant watch of Grizzt and Fraufard themselves. When they concluded their looting they would split the take, fifty-fifty.

Such a truce did not come easily. Keeping his bugbears from reactively assaulting gnolls at any time required a good deal of training by Grizzt. Such training consisted of many beatings, and wrestlings, and cajolings, and generally wearing down of his bugbear team.

For Fraufard, his own such training consisted of much ear-bendings, and fur-rendings, and flail-whippings, and further many more subtle techniques to keep the gnolls in their place.

Over the ensuing weeks, both teams cleared out the manticore, the wyvern, the dracolich, and many other vermin who had come to inhabit the place. And as these creatures were eliminated, so was their treasure found and gathered and brought to the leaders who fought to maintain the very fragile peace.

Through all of this Grizzt and Fraufard kept their vigil in a chamber deep in the dungeons below Rondoval. From the upper castle, a series of passages led to the chamber, passing through several other chambers along the way.

A bodyguard of the strongest bugbears guarded the chamber nearest Grizzt, Fraufard and the loot.

A posse of gnolls watched the entrance to the dungeons, and served as scouts for those who might approach the castle.

And then a day came when a third party found that castle.

Grizzt and Fraufard were maintaining their regular watch in that deepest chamber, continuing a long-running, slow-moving conversation in that shared goblin-tongue. For though gnolls and bugbears traditionally despised each other, and there was no great liking between these leaders of these two clans, some level of respect had slowly grown between the two, perhaps an appreciation as to how the different ways that tenacity can be applied to the problem of survival.

And then there came a rare interruption to their discussion. A knock on the locked door to the chamber, a specific knock that informed Fraufard as to the knocker. Fraufard unlocked the door and allowed in a disheveled gnoll into the room.

“My liege…” began the gnoll, a veteran scout called Harfraghidan. The scout spoke slowly, wheezing out a portion of a sentence at a time. “… There are intruders to the fortress… humans, and elves, and… a very small human? A child but not a child… “

Fraufard interrupted, “A Halfling. A bloody Halfling. Most certainly a rogue, a thief, a lockpick. Continue. What is their appearance?”

“Aye my liege… there is a tall dark human man, in tanned hides but with a bright shield. With a great axe red in hue… And an elf, with a great bow that sparkles of blue… And a human woman, a welder of magic, in black garb but edged by gold…”

Grizzt stood up and with a measure of exasperation asked, “This woman, did she wield a wand of twisted bone?”

Harfraghidan replied, “… yes, that she did… “

And then Fraufard interjected, “The human, did his axe bear a glyph resembling a crescent moon?”

Harfraghidan responded, “… why yes, I do believe that is so… “

And then a perturbed Grizzt injected the question, “This Elf, did his garb depict an ancient oak of many branches, on a background of green and gold?”

Harfraghidan began to respond “… that does closely describe the image upon the garb that he wears… “

Fraufard sighed a great sigh and closed his eyes for a moment. Then he spoke. “These are warriors and magicians of some note… You speak of the slayers of the Stone Giants of Strakland. The murderers of the Ogre-King of the Hidden Mountain. The… “

“They slew the bugbear shaman Oergrach-Mollay…” Grizzt blurted. “They bested the white dragon Yssyarch and the black dragon Nnojiarisan. Our own troops are a poor match for that team…”

Fraufard took a deep breath and instructed Harfraghidan. “Go, watch how they advance but stay out of danger if you can. I want some remnant of this clan to survive this day.”

Harfraghidan nodded, to Fraufard, and even a short nod to Grizzt. “… I shall attempt to survive my leige… “ He left the room, and Fraufard quickly locked the door.

For a time there was quiet. The two clan leaders stood and listened, and for a time nothing seemed to happen. But then came the sounds of a distant battle. Mostly there were sounds of clashing and of screaming gnolls, surely the gnolls in the upper levels of the palace. There were sounds of braying, and barking, and sneering, and crying, and sounds of metal against metal, and metal against leather and wood. Finally the sounds ceased. It was clear the gnoll guard was defeated.

“Your bugbears…” Fraufard began, “Do you think them capable of stopping this band of men and and Elves? And the blasted Halfling?”

Grizzt pondered for a moment. “My warriors have seen a score of battles, razed a dozen towns, bested many a warrior… But against this band? It will be close.”

There were new sounds, and much closer. The human and elf (and halfling) team had clearly reached the bugbear bodyguard that lay in wait nearby. There were grunts and growls, guttural bursts of sound from bugbears who had lived through many a conflict. The sounds suddenly escalated to those of a feverish battle, coming closer by the moment, until it was clear the actual battle was being finished right outside Fraufard and Grizzt’s chamber door.

An orange-red light suddenly outlined the door, and with that a blast of heat shot through every crack in and around the door, above and below, and even a small flame shooting through the key-hole.

Fraufard spoke. “Fire sorcery, a fireball or sheet of flame… Grizzt are your bears protected against flame?”

Grizzt snorted. “No more than the regular bears of the woods.”

For some moments there were sounds that might have been bugbears fighting, or possibly bugbears dying. But eventually there came again a quiet. This quiet lasted longer than the quiet that followed the fall of the gnolls… Fraufard and Grizzt waited both patiently and anxiously. Perhaps the bugbear bodyguard had done some real damage, and the invaders were in retreat. Or perhaps it was just a rest before the final conflict.

Fraufard loosened his limbs, pantomimed the act of chopping limbs from bodies with his axe, and asked, “Have you any items of magic to use against this foe?”

Grizzt swung his mace with a violent swing, the mace suddenly glowing with a pale sickly green and slowly dripping a sickly ichor. “This mace I took from the trolls of Nuhurenbad, may have some enchantments upon it… As well as the scale mail that is thrown over my shoulder…”

Fraufard looked to his axe, which began to shine with a pale blue glow, and flexed his fingers covered in rings of bronze, that seemed to hum in anticipation of the upcoming fight. “I might have collected a few enchanted objects of my own over my travels…”

There was a new sound, a click, and then more clicks, clearly the sounds of someone trying to pick the lock on the chamber door.

“The Halfling...” spoke Fraufard. “Our troops couldn’t even best the Halfling…”

There was a loud click of a lock being withdrawn.

There was a creaking sound as the door slowly opened…

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 1, 2019

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 collection of Witch's Den items for March!

4 items including a cauldron, a book, a book reading stand and what I'm calling a scrying pool (which looks rather like a birdbath).

Will claim the monthly Down where it's wetter both for the cauldron but also I'm going to add water to the pool/birdbath.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
March Oath Complete!

1 collection of Witch's Den with some extra water work to claim Down where it's wetter.... Besides the bubbling cauldron, I tried to create a swirling magic effect in the font (which I can only think about as a birdbath). I added 'realistic water' a layer at a time and painted magic at each layer... Fun to play around with that...

I spent some time practicing writing up runes and painting some ideas for swirling magic:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath for April 4 old school dwarves and a Death Dog

Dwarves are all Grenadier miniatures (from 1980 AD&D Dwarves boxed set #2003, waiting all of 39 years to be painted!) and one Reaper Bones Death Dog.

Claiming Scene: Title Fight for the vicious duel between dwarves and Death Dog, will do All Together Now, also Take One for the Team for the Dwarf group, and A Recipe for Success cause why not!

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
April Oath Complete!

Four old school dwarves and a Death Dog!

Take one for the team for the dwarf troop...

Claiming Scene: Title Fight for the battle...

Claiming All together now for the year (blast the couple months i failed...)

Claiming A Recipe for Success for keeping track of what i did...

Dog
Dryad Bark wash Whole dog
Eshin Grey wash Base
Abadon Black wash Dog parts
Zanesi Desert wash Dog parts
Kilsev Flesh wash Dog belly
Evil Suns Scarlet layer Dog eyes

Dwarves
Abadon Black base All metal
Cadian Flesh wash All skin (multiple layers)
Alaitoc Blue wash All shirts, pants, cape (multiple layers)
Dryad Bark wash Spear, boots (multiple layers)
Mournfang wash Sheilds, boots (multiple layers)
Kilsev Flesh layer Skin highlights
Runefang Steel All metal
Eshin Grey layer Dwarf hat
Evil Suns Scarlet layer Dwarf beard
Calgar Blue layer Dwarf w/hat and flower
Calgar Blue/Scar White highlights Dwarf w/hat and flower
Earthshade wash Dwarf skin
Flash Glitz Yellow Feathers and flower
Troll Slayer Orange Feathers and flower highlights
Blue Ink wash All Altaitoc Blue
White Scar layer Eyes

Would have liked to do some more shading and highlights but had only so much time, and the photography was a disaster this month.

All in all I enjoyed going for the achievements they made for some more interesting projects!

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 1, 2019