Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
google aws azure and cloudflare should club together and "take the L" pending widespread adoption of quic which will hide sni hostnames inside the encrypted payload anyway. gently caress to russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
quic will be good yes but i do not think jeffy bozos and whoever runs google will agree with ur hill-dyin' strat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. russia doesn't seem to have a problem with blocking huge chunks of the internet

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

tavis ormandy donated stuff to the 8-bit guy (first package)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjxyreDZ4es

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tankakern posted:

i caught that. he said "travis" too

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
trolley meme with a visibly perspiring american trying to decide between being antagonistic to russia and wanting to make money no matter what the social cost

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would the american be indecisive, society has no monetary value

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

trolley meme with a visibly perspiring american trying to decide between being antagonistic to russia and wanting to make money no matter what the social cost

I tried to read this post but my eyes rolled out of my skull and now I cant find them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

i caught that. he said "travis" too

I call him travis normandy in my head sometimes and then have to mentally correct myself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
day 0 posting.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/thread

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

akadajet posted:

I call him travis normandy in my head sometimes and then have to mentally correct myself.

Stop this madness, you're brainwashing me.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Rufus Ping posted:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
celebrity deathmatch: travis ormandy vs. tavis mcelroy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

github was apparently doing plaintext logging of some passwords https://twitter.com/SwitHak/status/991416974252167169

Weee, I've done this too. Just pushed out a patch to redact them. I also now SHA512 salted passwords, 5000 rounds into the DB instead of plain text. That literally "1234" same password for all accounts is looking really secure now.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Hello, I don't understand half of what you'll talk about but this stuff is cool and interesting.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FillInTheBlank posted:

Hello, I don't understand half of what you'll talk about but this stuff is cool and interesting.
neither do 87% of people with jobs with "Security" in their job title. Welcome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

even just basic personal security can get a little complicated let alone managing security for other people

the idea of having a job like that gives me loving huves

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

(they're like hives but huge)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i can't say i envy people who like to get shat on when everything is going fine because they're not producing any direct return on investment, and like to get shat on when things go wrong for obviously not doing their job properly

i mean i'm not implying anything here but

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rufus Ping posted:

so far they seem to firmly care about money and ignore russian government blocking a lot more than telegram

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rufus Ping posted:

google aws azure and cloudflare should club together and "take the L" pending widespread adoption of quic which will hide sni hostnames inside the encrypted payload anyway. gently caress to russia

russian blocks don't make use of SNI in the slightest. they're entirely IP-based. connections to an unblocked IP sending a banned hostname in SNI aren't blocked, at least on providers i've tested. that said, it's reasonable to assume that most providers simply use IP blocks, since RKN provides IPs and they're simpler to implement.

randomizing DNS responses and routing based on SNI would defeat single-IP blocks, but Roskomnadzor has already demonstrated that they don't really mind taking a scorched-earth/ignore collateral damage approach to blocking entire subnets with the Telegram block.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Tankakern posted:

I thought it was him when I watched that. This crossover better than Disneys Marvels Avengers: Infinity wars part one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the only thing on the telegrame debate where russians buckled was the ~15% of the bans that ended up causing interruptions in major yandex and mail.ru services

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Midjack posted:

i hope it means nothing for a month and then some bomb rear end tweets shortly afterwards

i hope it means tavis takes a good long break and doesn't look at any computer nonsense at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

redleader posted:

i hope it means tavis takes a good long break and doesn't look at any computer nonsense at all

a perfect vacation

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

let’s all love lain

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Another day, another breach of customer data. Added bonus of legal action from company losing said data against the journalists who ran the story.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1805/S00124/vector-takes-action-against-stuff-limited-to-secure-data.htm

Except this time the legal action isn’t to expose the hackers or to stop the publication of the breach. It is to get the news organisation to delete the data and most importantly to stop using it. Apparently the journalists were ringing up people in the list asking them how they felt about their data being leaked like that before any one knew about the breach.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
please close this thread and open v17.0 when tavis' vacation ends

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Meat Beat Agent posted:

celebrity deathmatch: travis ormandy vs. tavis mcelroy

Not sure who Travis Ormandy is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Not sure who Travis Ormandy is.

:eyepop:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I know who Tavis Ormandy is though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the rare double :thejoke:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ratbert90 posted:

apparently you don't know what the joke was though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

brutal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CommunistPancake posted:

apparently you don't know what the joke was though

apparently not. :saddowns:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yeah i can't say i envy people who like to get shat on when everything is going fine because they're not producing any direct return on investment, and like to get shat on when things go wrong for obviously not doing their job properly

i mean i'm not implying anything here but

Hey now don't kink shame

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pr0zac posted:

Hey now don't kink shame

what if kink shaming is his kink?????

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

what if kink shaming is his kink?????

then he'll ask you to do it and have a nice conversation discussing boundaries first, or it's not consensual :colbert:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

redleader posted:

please close this thread and open v17.0 when tavis' vacation ends

That could be arranged.

• Locked thread