Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
someone make brodyquest but with tavis.

well don't make it, but think about it.

pretty good, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wheany posted:

pretty good, eh?

tavis or-mandy tavis or-man-dy

it works pretty well

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Wheany posted:

pretty good, eh?

should involve waterfalls

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm getting browser sandboxing setup with enterprise policy and Chrome is triggering a million alerts because its getting flagged for attempting to make modifications in catroot\catroot2. Anyone have an idea of what the hell its trying to do there? Check OS patch level or something? It's constantly re-checking that dir with disk IO.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My name is Ormandias, king of secfucks. Look on my works, ye developers, and despair!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

My name is Ormandias, king of secfucks. Look on my works, ye developers, and despair!"

"Look on my tweets, ye devlopers, and despair" is better. Hth.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

"Look on my tweets, ye devlopers, and despair" is better. Hth.

I agree.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://blog.npmjs.org/post/173526807575/reported-malicious-module-getcookies

meanwhile in the wasteland that is npm

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

what if kink shaming is his kink?????

i think this reduces to russell's paradox and so is not a proctected instance of dont kink shame

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

on the fun security frontier:

https://twitter.com/pit_frg/status/991984272021032961

https://www.vusec.net/projects/glitch/

quote:

GLitch is one part of our series of Rowhammer attacks. We started by breaking the EDGE browser and the cloud. Then we moved towards Android devices showing how to root them with bit flips. This time we wanted to show that also mobile phones can be attacked remotely via the browser.

Meet GLitch: the first instance of a remote Rowhammer exploit on ARM Android devices. This makes it possible for an attacker who controls a malicious website to get remote code execution on a smartphone without relying on any software bug.
You want to know what makes this attack even cooler? It is carried out by the GPU. This is the first GPU-accelerated Rowhammer attack.
https://twitter.com/lavados/status/992105586295803910

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lysidas posted:

i think this reduces to russell's paradox and so is not a proctected instance of dont kink shame

pls write the paper

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

WebGL is such a stupid loving mistake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its more javascript in general that's the mistake.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

WebGL is such a stupid loving mistake

fight me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
well this is certainly worse than the github one, and not just because the article/press release has zero information in it https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/992133254550519808

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they were logged internally in some cases, in the clear

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Please take @realDonaldTrump

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Please take @realDonaldTrump
that already happened a year ago and the account as reinstated v quickly

more info:

https://twitter.com/TwitterSupport/status/992132808192634881

https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/topics/company/2018/keeping-your-account-secure.html

quote:

About The Bug

We mask passwords through a process called hashing using a function known as bcrypt, which replaces the actual password with a random set of numbers and letters that are stored in Twitter’s system. This allows our systems to validate your account credentials without revealing your password. This is an industry standard.

Due to a bug, passwords were written to an internal log before completing the hashing process. We found this error ourselves, removed the passwords, and are implementing plans to prevent this bug from happening again.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
two weeks ago i quipped about this very thing

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/986990790088900608

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I built a custom string type that couldn't easily be passed to logging functions for things like message text and passwords. if there was an implicit conversion, they would convert to things like "[[message text: 251 chars]]" or "[[password]]" and log a warning about misuse. it took about two days including converting a relatively large codebase. I don't know why people don't use the type system more for stuff like this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we are exceedingly pissy about logging and pay huge attention to that

we dont even send customers internal dumps of our 503 logs because there's a .00000001 % chance depending on the customer that they might get A log line from another customer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Subjunctive posted:

I built a custom string type that couldn't easily be passed to logging functions for things like message text and passwords. if there was an implicit conversion, they would convert to things like "[[message text: 251 chars]]" or "[[password]]" and log a warning about misuse. it took about two days including converting a relatively large codebase. I don't know why people don't use the type system more for stuff like this

....huh.

Yeah I'm going to take this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

that's cool

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How does it recognize that stuff?

I guess what I'm asking is, could you share this code, or at least an example of what it could look like? This sounds quite useful to me.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
speaking of credentials or whatever, here is some insanely stupid poo poo i just experienced about 2 minutes ago

if you want to do certain things with your skype account, such as deactivate it, you have to verify your email address to be sent a code

if the local part of your email address is 1 character long, it is not possible to do this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

you could probably also do static analysis to catch uses of explicit conversions to strings that end up in logger statements.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Meat Beat Agent posted:

speaking of credentials or whatever, here is some insanely stupid poo poo i just experienced about 2 minutes ago

if you want to do certain things with your skype account, such as deactivate it, you have to verify your email address to be sent a code

if the local part of your email address is 1 character long, it is not possible to do this.

I have an email address with a single character user name and I had a license plate renewal form rejected for "invalid email address" by the state of michigan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the code is with a previous employer, but it does rely on people using PasswordString or PrivateMessageTextString when the sensitive data first enters the system. if your architecture permits, those can be subtypes of the normal String class and do implicit conversions. otherwise you use the types to enforce and audit the flow of sensitive data through your system, avoid inadvertent leakage, and make people say .getPrivacySensitiveContents() when they really do need to get their hands on the contents. it doesn’t eliminate the need for audit and understanding, but it really reduces the risk surface that you need to pay attention to

static analysis tools can do some of this for you with a bit of annotation, if you get the right tool, but I preferred something that was more core to the program

if you do crash reporting you have a bunch of other stuff to worry about. Chrome and Firefox both have a policy of not putting user-entered data (and maybe cookies?) on the stack, so that it doesn’t end up in crash dumps. I don’t know if those policies are tool-enforced.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

you could probably also do static analysis to catch uses of explicit conversions to strings that end up in logger statements.

you can do some, but in certain app architectures it’s hard to trace data flow through trips into the OS or framework code

I am definitely on team static analysis, though

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you can also catch this with automated testing. Use a ci test that checks the logs for data leaks after you’ve run your other tests or whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that only works if your CI exercises literally every path that generates a log entry. a common form of this big is leak-on-error.

E: and it has to test at all log/debug levels

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 3, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
apparently twitter thought they didn't need to tell anyone about the password disclosure https://twitter.com/paraga/status/992135139994943488

later he walked that back https://twitter.com/paraga/status/992146630232043520

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol at trying to score nerd-progressive points off a huge internal leak

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ooh that’s true, I was thinking more of the dumb devs level of errors, leaving in debug logging etc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't reuse passwords so meh if some Twitter engineer could have read my randomly generated password for the service they are an administrator of.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
considering that this is the first time i've seen my own password for twitter, i would be impressed if someone could remember it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

aw man i thought i came up with this idea :argh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

aw man i thought i came up with this idea :argh:

we both did!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

apparently twitter thought they didn't need to tell anyone about the password disclosure https://twitter.com/paraga/status/992135139994943488

later he walked that back https://twitter.com/paraga/status/992146630232043520

im the CTO of twitter that doesn't even have a blue check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

we both did!

yeah but you used it in actual production code and i used it in a dumb hobby project from 10 years ago so i think you win :v:

• Locked thread