Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tales of Woe posted:

Netflix only releases shows when the cour/season is finished, they don't believe in simulcasts

There are shows that air weekly on Netflix, but they're all things they only have international rights to like "The Good Place" and "Black Lightning" as far as I know, and none of them are anime either. Anime would generally be something they have the international license to, but which would premier in US on Netflix; so that might have some effect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Violet Evergarden was done weekly but it's an exception to the rule.

Anime can't really be aired weekly if they want to dub into multiple languages since the episodes in Japan are usually only finished a day or two before they air. I forget why Violet was an exception but it managed to be completely finished before airing.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
carol and tuesday is the bougiest poo poo I've seen yet and it fuckin stinks

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
C&T is gonna be weekend. Maybe some Cannon Buster's if I don't feel like watching Sacred Games.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Some rough moments with the main character being annoying on his journey to personal growth aside, I really dug Revisions. The exploration of Shibuya being yanked 350+ years into the future with no warning was rather well done I thought, and the action and character work is solid. It has some fun with the concept too (the Revisions themselves in particular), but is mostly appropriately serious and lands the important moments.

Hoping for a second season.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Re: Subs

I really hate when subtitles don't match the English voices. I watch subs with everything. I have a hard time otherwise because of mental health reasons. When voices don't match the subs, it makes it even harder to pay attention because they conflict. I get that the English subs are always for the Japanese audio but when it's not fansubs and on Netflix then they really should have an option for that. And also it's weird.

And that's why I don't watch dubs lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hunter x Hunter has closed captioning subs for the Netflix episodes, which is weird but appreciated. Tiger and Bunny too. But yeah, literal subs and closed captioning should be an option for every anime unless there’s some technical reason the Blu-ray’s can’t do it without costing significantly more money

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Blurays handle multiple subtitle tracks fine. It's how a lot of Euro region discs handle things.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

I really hate when subtitles don't match the English voices. I watch subs with everything. I have a hard time otherwise because of mental health reasons. When voices don't match the subs, it makes it even harder to pay attention because they conflict. I get that the English subs are always for the Japanese audio but when it's not fansubs and on Netflix then they really should have an option for that. And also it's weird.

I’ve seen the occasional show that bothers - Steins;Gate, I think, had English subtitles for both the Japanese script and the dub as separate options when I watched it on Netflix. That said, it’s pretty uncommon, yeah.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

It was really annoying in cannon busters, especially because the english dub had better writing than the subs. So I didn't feel like just switching to Japanese.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

ianmacdo posted:

It was really annoying in cannon busters, especially because the english dub had better writing than the subs. So I didn't feel like just switching to Japanese.

Yeah I wrote that post after watching some Cannon Busters.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

Yeah, it's not great. I think usually the sub team is different than the dub team so you get kinda different results.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ianmacdo posted:

This one is extra weird because the writer is an American anyway so why not just use his scripts for the subtitles instead of translating them to Japanese and then translating the spoken Japanese back into English subtitles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The animation was timed to the Japanese script so adjustments would still be needed.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Just read on twitter that Little Witch “the only good thing Trigger have made” Academia is leaving netflix in october. I hope the whole series + the enchanted parade ova gets a dvd release here in aus

e: Some are saying it’s just the pilot & the ova that’ll leave :shrug:

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 20, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just the OVAs are leaving, for now.

Netflix owns the show itself so it's less likely to go anywhere.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Just read on twitter that Little Witch “the only good thing Trigger have made” Academia is leaving netflix in october. I hope the whole series + the enchanted parade ova gets a dvd release here in aus

e: Some are saying it’s just the pilot & the ova that’ll leave :shrug:

Wait, who the gently caress said LWA was the only good thing Trigger made?

Inferno Cop is some good poo poo too! :v: but yeah I should probably get on those OVAs because I loved the series itself

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Last Celebration posted:

Inferno Cop is some good poo poo too! :v: but yeah I should probably get on those OVAs because I loved the series itself

Go watch Promare, it's fantastically dumb :allears:.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just really want more LWA :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Space Patrol Laluco is also kind of amazing for managing to tell a hilarious and semicoherent plot in 10 minute chunks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And while not on Netflix, SSSS.Gridman is a pretty baller anime and if you have yet to watch, get on it!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
this thing is coming out on netflix soon it looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSMoBp8awM

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Last Celebration posted:

I miss Turning Girls.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Just watched Baki on netflix, it was pretty good. The first half especially, where it looked like they would just introduce people and then have them get murdered pretty much right away. The 2nd half was a bit disappointing when it turned out that pretty much everyone except for the convenience store clerks or cops were not actually dead.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ianmacdo posted:

Just watched Baki on netflix, it was pretty good. The first half especially, where it looked like they would just introduce people and then have them get murdered pretty much right away. The 2nd half was a bit disappointing when it turned out that pretty much everyone except for the convenience store clerks or cops were not actually dead.

Baki was worth it just for that one scene where his dad breaks into his bedroom.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why is almost every single subtitle for cannon busters different from what is said. it's natively in english... the rewording doesn't even shorten things for slow readers as far as i could tell

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Relin posted:

why is almost every single subtitle for cannon busters different from what is said. it's natively in english... the rewording doesn't even shorten things for slow readers as far as i could tell

It's probably something really utterly stupid.
Like the original script was written in English and the subtitles match this quite well, then it was translated, the mouth flaps were synched to Japanese and afterwards the English voice actors had to juggle the lines to better match those movements.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/carole_tuesday/status/1179705640203145216

:toot:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Heck yeah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/itaparu99/status/1182577604877905920?s=20

lol the beastars mangaka finding out about netflix bullshit

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Finally got started on Carole and Tuesday, and the fuckin shredded Banksy just made me spit soda.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Few more episodes in and I'm now convinced that Carole and Tuesday is the spiritual successor to Megalobox. Obviously it isn't, but the similarities are pretty striking. Passionate underdogs use heart and authenticity to triumph over cold scientific engineering/AI. It doesn't take anything away from Watanabe's work, it's just a funny comparison I can't shake.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god the Mermaid Sisters performance :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Oh my god the Mermaid Sisters performance :swoon:

I don't think ANYONE saw that coming. :stonklol:.

I kinda wanna know what went on in the recording session for it. "So, here's your lyrics - no they're not a joke..."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think ANYONE saw that coming. :stonklol:.

I kinda wanna know what went on in the recording session for it. "So, here's your lyrics - no they're not a joke..."

So much of this show makes me want to know what went on behind the scenes. Not just for ridiculous stuff like that and the auditions montage and Ertigun's shenanigans, but the genuinely inspired stuff like the musical direction and Angela's performances being the only fully CG performance in the show. It's it's mind boggling what Watanabe can accomplish without breaking the bank with every production.

E: Looks like they only did that for the first Angela performance though, odd. Maybe it was a production thing rather than a direction thing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 19, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok last post on Carole and Tuesday.

That was an incredible journey, and I'm sad it isn't over yet because now I've gotta wait. Theres so much amazing work on display between the musical performances, the animation during the performances (especially GGK and Pyotr), the cinematography throughout, the scripting, the character writing - the list goes on.

Regardless of whether I enjoyed the show (which I certainly did) the amount of talent on display is staggering. It's truly a one of a kind experience, despite it's thematic similarities to Megalobox. The weekend's barely started and I feel like it's already been made.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The first forty one episodes of 1986's Saint Seiya are on Netflix and im having a real ball with it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Expect My Mom posted:

The first forty one episodes of 1986's Saint Seiya are on Netflix and im having a real ball with it
I only caught buts here and there when I would vacation in Mexico so I'm glad I can see it all now, even if I was catching the CGI version last month.

Its totally derailing my spoopy calendar though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Ertigun's shenanigans

The rise and fall and rise again of Ertegun was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Getting to episode 5 of Ultramarine Magmell and their treatment of this shopkeeper just seems so abusive and there was really no point for them to act in the way that they did, that I had to stop watching. Is the series get better afterwards?