Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It not good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's terrible, the KSA is awful, WWE sucks for doing this deal and the fact that even after the event they're continuing to produce propaganda pieces for them is really quite disgusting. Especially given that even without this deal WWE apparently is already the most profitable it has ever actually been.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Guess I'll just repost the news here

Chris James 2 posted:

Daily Beast reporting on the anti-Iran segment at the Saudi Arabia show
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/992159175487754241

WWE's thoughts on Corey Graves' comments on social media during the Saudi no women wrestlers allowed on the premises stuff:

Observer Radio posted:

It was noted to us that his feelings were understandable but that his statements should have only been made privately. There were also people noting that he’s more replaceable than he thinks he is.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I hope that we end up with mass cheering for iranian wrestlers if the WWE keeps trying to push that poo poo.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Can we have a thread for understanding what WWE discussion doesn't count for WWE discussion

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Would the Iranians cheer Roman Reigns?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know KSA is rich as gently caress and Vince McMahon likes money despite being rich himself, but it really is quite astonishing the lengths they're willing to go to for this cash, especially at a time when they're not exactly hard-up for money. No women allowed at the same time WWE itself is actively pushing their women's division; reamed out for even showing a video featuring a woman in it; airing straight up propaganda pieces about KSA being progressive (including Anti-Iran poo poo with Daivari) and threatening their commentators for actually daring to speak up on the subject. Either they're getting an absolute SHITLOAD of money for this or Vince is in one of his,"Nobody questions my directives, EVER!" moods (or both).

I'm honestly surprised more mainstream news hasn't picked up on all this, even if WWE is beneath their notice surely the KSA itself is not.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, I still feel like there is a vague bit of prejudice behind the emphatic anti Saudi stuff but at the same time the more I learn about this deal the worst it sounds. I had thought it was just an expansion thing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was it really 20 million a year for 10 years?

I'm sure the only thing they give a poo poo about is how happy the stockholders are going to be with that 200 million on the books.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I kinda of thought nothing would top the Warrior award for cancer survivors in the modern WWE but welp doing propaganda for the Saudi's easily tops it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

On one hand it would be really, really, REALLY gross if Corey Graves got punished for being anti-Saudi Arabia.

On the other hand I want to see how many hoops people would jump through to defend WWE if they did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Erebus posted:

Can we have a thread for understanding what WWE discussion doesn't count for WWE discussion

The KSA stuff was discussed just fine in the Discussion thread before, but a big derail got kicked off with at least one person accusing everybody who watches WWE of being actively and knowingly complicit in human rights abuses by KSA. Given that this is a big story, that it is ongoing, and that people were getting heated up about it I figured it best to shift discussion to its own thread, since it is big enough a subject to warrant it and it would completely dominate any other general WWE Discussion in the general WWE Discussion thread. I really don't see the problem with that, it's not like there is a limit on how many individual threads we can have and I'm not forbidding discussion of the topic itself, just moving it into its own thread.

If you want to discuss this further, take it to PMs, thanks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

On one hand it would be really, really, REALLY gross if Corey Graves got punished for being anti-Saudi Arabia.

On the other hand I want to see how many hoops people would jump through to defend WWE if they did.

I think we need to separate anti Saudi Arabia vs anti The Saudi Royal family. This seems to be an issue with the monarchy more than the people

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In this case I think it's safe to say that "KSA" is being meant to invoke the monarchy/Government/leadership figures over there rather than individual people or the population as a whole. In the same contextual way that people who complain about "America" generally mean politicians (or more often, specifically the President).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Baker posted:

Would the Iranians cheer Roman Reigns?

I'm sure if their regime contacted Vince and promised an overtly pro Roman crowd Vince would probably listen to the entire pitch, and would be seriously close to taking the deal, until Steph and Hunter remind him at the last minute that the US and Iran are on sort of hostile terms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was it really 20 million a year for 10 years?

I'm sure the only thing they give a poo poo about is how happy the stockholders are going to be with that 200 million on the books.

Allegedly more like $25mil PER SHOW for 10 years, and they're likely doing 2 shows a year for the duration (they've already announced another one in November this year)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
*Points to the financials and share price today*

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Saudi's pushing for more Anti-Iran angles should be the really worrying thing given the Trump admin really, really wants to go to war with Iran.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

I have no idea how Michelle Wilson didn't crawl out of her skin on the conference call when they were asked about this poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

Share price will be affected by the KSA deal I'm sure (in a positive sense, because shareholders are human garbage for the most part) but my understanding is that the financial reports for this quarter don't take into account the KSA money yet, right? So even before they whored themselves out for this giant influx of cash they were already the most profitable they have EVER been as a company?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've stopped watching as hard as I can.
But bad poo poo keeps happening.
And I can't stop caring.
(I really need "Multinational American Entertainment Company WWE under fire for supporting KSA propaganda" to be a national headline but we don't live in a world where good things happen)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Daivari stuff didn't strike me as propaganda.

It struck me as standard Rival Heel Gets His Comeuppance work. It's happened thousands of times.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it was bigoted the other thousands of times

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if we strip out all the blatant propaganda videos and soundbites, I can still see them doing the Daivaris thing as normal boneheaded WWE booking. It's basically the inverse of what they did on Raw with the AoP beating up two local lads who deliberate spoke French shittily to rile up the crowd, or with Rusev when he was doing the Putin medal poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually misread that article and thought the plan was to CONTINUE the Anti-Iran stuff going forward, which I found an absolutely horrifying thought.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE never, ever deserves the benefit of the doubt

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oatgan posted:

it was bigoted the other thousands of times

Yeah nothing about the Iran segment was out of character for the WWE it was just for the benefit of other brown people this time. Wwe has done empty jingoism for decades now it just seems weird because it's not our jingoism

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

WWE never, ever deserves the benefit of the doubt

October: Komen
November: Greatest Summerslam Ever

Why do you say that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am looking Forward to the month long Ramadanger that ends with the Eid al Fight

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

It's terrible, the KSA is awful, WWE sucks for doing this deal and the fact that even after the event they're continuing to produce propaganda pieces for them is really quite disgusting. Especially given that even without this deal WWE apparently is already the most profitable it has ever actually been.

That's what really baffles me tbh. I could get Vince being carny enough where if the company was lagging a bit or something he'd go 'yea gently caress it I'll take KSA money' but like...is Vince just really a massive stan for a genuinely fuckin evil regime of dipshit cartoon rich people?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
don't answer that I know he is

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

is Vince just really a massive stan for a genuinely fuckin evil regime of dipshit cartoon rich people?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea but these guys didn't even give his wife a job

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Vince may actually be terrified that the XFL is going to tank again and he's going to lose hundreds of millions trying to make it work, so took a deal that bolsters WWE's coffers enough that they can take it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There's a part of that wants to tell the Saudi prince about Muhammad Hassan

Gaz-L posted:

I think Vince may actually be terrified that the XFL is going to tank again and he's going to lose hundreds of millions trying to make it work, so took a deal that bolsters WWE's coffers enough that they can take it.

XFL is wholly separate from Titan this time

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Taking money to do a glorified house show is one thing but they are actively shilling for the KSA calling them "progressive". It's absolutely disgusting. Look at that one guy in the discussion thread who came to WWE's defense by basically saying colonialism and exploitation is good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

XFL is wholly separate from Titan this time

Sure it is. They just had a WWE exec pitching Orlando on taking an XFL team.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The company that does Tribute for the Troops every year is now shilling for a terrorist funding state.
"It's a Company's job to make money." Is the opening bar of the "The Song that Ends the Earth"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Sure it is. They just had a WWE exec pitching Orlando on taking an XFL team.

financially separate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Taking money to do a glorified house show is one thing but they are actively shilling for the KSA calling them "progressive". It's absolutely disgusting. Look at that one guy in the discussion thread who came to WWE's defense by basically saying colonialism and exploitation is good

yea if they wanted to just get paid a lot to give the Saudis a televised house show that's fine, do you Vince, kinda lame but you've done way worse.

The problem is they actively shilled for them not just in generic 'and boy what a lovely country' ways but just straight up lies by trying to make a brutally oppressive, colonial, theocracy sound like fuckin Wakanda in real life.

• Locked thread