Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

financially separate

And when Alpha Entertainment starts struggling, who's going to invest and bail them out? Or how is Vince going to raise more capital to inject into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sexpig by night posted:

The problem is they actively shilled for them not just in generic 'and boy what a lovely country' ways but just straight up lies by trying to make a brutally oppressive, colonial, theocracy sound like fuckin Wakanda in real life.

Yeah, when I was defending the WWE before the Rumble, I had assumed it was just expanding and doing overseas house shows, not straight up acting as a PR firm for the Saudi royal family

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gaz-L posted:

And when Alpha Entertainment starts struggling, who's going to invest and bail them out? Or how is Vince going to raise more capital to inject into it?

I am almost positive the shareholders for WWE would riot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hence why you take the Saudi money, to try and make the bitter pill easier to swallow. Yes, I know how ridiculous that is. No-one has said Vince McMahon was a smart man for a long time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ChrisBTY posted:

The company that does Tribute for the Troops every year is now shilling for a terrorist funding state.
"It's a Company's job to make money." Is the opening bar of the "The Song that Ends the Earth"

also this is hilarious as well yea. The company so deeply up Are Troops' assholes did straight propaganda for the dudes who did 9/11, and are currently doing the Spider-Man meme where they say 'oh man it's so terrible that Turkey and Qatar are totally responsible for ISIS and not us at all, right America?'. That genuinely is the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Hence why you take the Saudi money, to try and make the bitter pill easier to swallow.

That's not how shareholders work. You don't get to take on a massive loss for the CEO's vanity just because you also found a profit somewhere else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I must be out of the loop but where does the Saudi Royal family being responsible for 9/11 all of sudden come from

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I must be out of the loop but where does the Saudi Royal family being responsible for 9/11 all of sudden come from

it's a very glib and oversimplistic thing to say obviously but yea there's a straight up lawsuit going on where 9/11 families are using government reports that say 'yea KSA funded and trained the dudes who did it' to try to sue the entire state and while obviously that's never going to mean anything it's just funny that it's happening as our large damp president is constantly sucking them off for fighting terrorists by spending billions on our weapons.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

I actually misread that article and thought the plan was to CONTINUE the Anti-Iran stuff going forward, which I found an absolutely horrifying thought.

But I heard from a really credible source that Iran #1!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Terrible company gets more terrible :gas:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Writer Cath posted:

But I heard from a really credible source that Iran #1!

im calling the police

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sexpig by night posted:

trying to make a brutally oppressive, colonial, theocracy sound like fuckin Wakanda in real life.

Oh my God, I just realized that they probably think they ARE just like Wakanda :stare:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God, I just realized that they probably think they ARE just like Wakanda :stare:

Nah, Saudis are mad racist towards blacks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they think they're like Wakanda but improved because they don't let any actual Africans do anything because boy do they hate literally the entire landmass of Africa more than anything

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Now the Emirati, those fuckers think they are Wakanda

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's not bury the lede here (also if you were wondering why the random sumo guy was in the Rumble)

Meltzer posted:

The people who brought WWE in were clearly not up to speed on wrestling. They asked for certain names to be brought in, like Undertaker, Yokozuna and Ultimate Warrior. There was a request to bring in the announcers with the crown and the black hat, which explains the original announcement that Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler would be calling the show.

A bunch of spoiled oil princes with more money than God thought that Warrior and Yokozuna were still alive

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This is why I want them to find out about Muhammad Hassan because you know they have no idea

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Saudi Arabia did 9/11

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Benne posted:

Let's not bury the lede here (also if you were wondering why the random sumo guy was in the Rumble)

A bunch of spoiled oil princes with more money than God thought that Warrior and Yokozuna were still alive

We give the brits a lot of poo poo for having a queen they have to pretend to respect, and that is loving stupid don't get me wrong, but the idea of some Saudi prince angrily demanding Vince bring him the fat sumo man and the one with the painted face while the man in the crown hoots and hollers over it is some straight up cartoon bullshit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What did Corey say, specifically?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What did Corey say, specifically?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiIkioBjOQF/?utm_source=ig_embed

"A drink to remember that no matter how bad WE think we have it, at least our women have rights and we all have freedom of expression."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They are already using WWE owned assets and WWE employees to make pitches for the league.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiIkioBjOQF/?utm_source=ig_embed

"A drink to remember that no matter how bad WE think we have it, at least our women have rights and we all have freedom of expression."

He had to know that would get him some heat and he did it anyways. Respect.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
looking forward to wwe replacing corey graves with one of those interchangeable haircuts who do the backstage interviews

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That PR video during the GRR was all about how KSA is really Wakanda.

This has pretty much killed any doubt I've given WWE. Like, I don't know if you can balance these things out but I don't think their token charity efforts balance out accepting ridiculous sums of money to be the mouth piece of a destabalizing and repressive regime.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is... there's a lot of upsetting things about this. The discrimination against women and WWE treating that as "respect people's cultures." The propaganda of a bad state. The Iran stuff writing storylines that feed into life and death world issues as a minstrel show to a King. Sami Zayn effectively being punished for giving a poo poo and being a good person trying to help people in this world, who happen to be some of the people KSA are hurting and hate. Its outrageous to me and a line I genuinely never imagined WWE crossing for as bad as they are.

But like... for the most part we all generally agree with that, no? That wasn't really the point of debate or thing I felt was worth discussing. My thing was the whole "condemn it but then handwave it away to a compartmentalized place so it doesn't affect our enjoyment" thing. But by opening a separate thread for it so it doesn't bother people in the WWE Discussion thread who don't want to think about it... didn't we just decide that issue?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Were we empowered to raise the banner and affect change I would have trouble disagreeing with you.
Unless you're advocating for a plan of action, rather than just endless discussion of how disgusted we all are than it would just serve to take the 'WWE discussion' out of WWE discussion.
(If you think we can contribute to some kind of collective outrage that might compromise their negotiating positions IRT their new TV deal, sponsors, potential XFL investors etc than I salute you, but is that what you're trying to accomplish?)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Someone at a media outlet might appreciate having something to run with even if they don't give a gently caress

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I think that was my round about point. I mean, I don't agree that "WWE Discussion" doesn't include this. Its not a "WWE Storylines Discussion" and never has been. And that was really my argument. Compartmentalizing this means "out of sight out of mind." And that's what we did, isn't it? So as you said, unless we start establishing some kind of movement for change all we're doing is endlessly discussing how disgusted we all are. I think my contributions in that thread were less about "this is bad" and more about "no, its wrong for us to push it aside so we can enjoy the show."

But the community has spoken and it is what it is. If I'm worth what I'd like to be I'll find a way to take this somewhere like you suggested. I admit I'm often a passive, morally compromising, lovely person.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

STAC Goat posted:

But like... for the most part we all generally agree with that, no? That wasn't really the point of debate or thing I felt was worth discussing. My thing was the whole "condemn it but then handwave it away to a compartmentalized place so it doesn't affect our enjoyment" thing. But by opening a separate thread for it so it doesn't bother people in the WWE Discussion thread who don't want to think about it... didn't we just decide that issue?

I think a lot of people weren't expecting much other than a glorified house show, with maybe some throwaway PR about expanding into a new market. So when the show comes around and WWE is airing bald-faced propaganda, you can see why they were shocked and appalled by it (they maybe shouldn't have been this naive but I'm willing to be generous).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

But guys...

Women

Can

Drive

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is melvin mudkiper a roque for wwe

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i watched the rumble out of morbid curiosity, has wwe been airing more propaganda since?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So was Sami Zayn barred from appearing at the GRR because he has Syrian heritage? Or did he volunteer not to go? I’ve been hearing competing things.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
was actually banned because ska brings shame to the letters K S and A

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Well I think that was my round about point. I mean, I don't agree that "WWE Discussion" doesn't include this. Its not a "WWE Storylines Discussion" and never has been. And that was really my argument. Compartmentalizing this means "out of sight out of mind." And that's what we did, isn't it?

I can see how some people might think this - I disliked the way some of this was being phrased in the WWE Discussion thread, but regardless of that this is actually a very big and complex (well actually it's kind depressingly straightforward) issue that I genuinely thinks warrants its own thread. It doesn't really make much sense to mix it all in with generalized discussion about WWE since it is gonna distract from that by its nature AND also the serious aspects of it will be weirdly undermined by posts about anti-homosexuality laws sittings between posts about Roman's shameful back and arguments about whether Dean Ambrose is overrated.

A topic like this easily warrants its own thread, it's a big issue to discuss. If people choose not to engage with it/read it etc, then that's their choice to do so and they shouldn't have to filter their way through it when having a separate thread serves everybody equally well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I can't say I wouldn't take the same deal they've reportedly been offered (25 Million per show, 2 shows a year and some cut up Raws, And these are sold shows so they don't even have to worry about ticket sales. Basically doing what they say 2 times a year to a total tune of 500 Million dollars in 10 years) That doesn't mean I don't think it's disgusting.

Just that you'd have to have very, very strong moral fiber to turn down that kind of money. I don't doubt that every single wrestler actively hated having to do that, they all had to be given pamphlets on what to/what not to say. Everyone who talked there sounded like they had a gun to their head. But that's a lot of money, and it's very hard to say no to a lot of money when all it means is compromising your morals. Especially because you can justify that it's not like they asked you for a ritualistic sacrifice (Except the Iranian segment, which may as well have been the ritualistic murder of the Daivari's)

Still disgusting, and still something I'm going to look down upon the WWE for.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cams posted:

i watched the rumble out of morbid curiosity, has wwe been airing more propaganda since?

Didn’t they are a pro-KSA segment on RAW? I vaguely remember one or maybe just Cole gushing about KSA’s “progress” during one of those shots of the announce table.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CobiWann posted:

Didn’t they are a pro-KSA segment on RAW? I vaguely remember one or maybe just Cole gushing about KSA’s “progress” during one of those shots of the announce table.

Basically in regards to talking about the GRR in the "We thank the KSA for Hosting us in their progressive country" that you know the bile wells up in your throat just imagining having to say. And reportedly no one was comfortable there. Everyone was terrified of saying something wrong and being killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'd like to think that being sent to a despotic hellhole twice per year to suck the oil out of the KSA's dick would be the breaking point for a lot of disgruntled talent at the tipping point.
I'd love to see "All-in" be a rousing success so potential political pariahs like Cody Graves and whomever else might want to speak up but is concerned about job security can feel like there is a future for them in wrestling if they tell WWE to kiss the dimpled side of their rear end.

Cena, this might be your cue to retire. Thumping the party line is a bad example to the make-a-wish kids.

• Locked thread