Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Peanut President posted:

I ain't arguing it's good I'm just saying people are zooming in like Vince personally said "lets go to Saudi Arabia on a field trip" I just want people to have the full picture because I feel they're missing it

People aren't missing it. When people said "how is this propaganda" we pointed to this campaign and said "it's part of this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
do you think the WWE will put this Saudi prince in the hall of fame

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no. they will build the greatest hall of fame

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

As someone who only watches wwe for its Dana Brooke content, the company hopping in bed with Saudi princes is very wack.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbin posted:

do you think the WWE will put this Saudi prince in the hall of fame

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah this problem transcends WWE. But WWE is our neck of the woods around here.
I think we have to hope or, and I must emphasize I am a garbage person with no moral grounds to judge you, act. America needs counter-propaganda here. Messages of 'No, the KSA is not ok. They are still corrupt, malevolent assholes and all of these articles and all of these events are designed to cajole America and the rest of the West into fighting their battles for them, again."

Painting WWE as an unpatriotic company supporting foreign despots in their effort to kill our children in battles that are not our battles is probably the best course of action here. If we can't hurt their deal with the KSA then maybe painting them as a toxic company will compromise their business domestically.
I hope a big name star speaks out about this and gets fired. It might get the narrative rolling.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 5, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Our only hope is for the Glorious Islamic Republic of Iran to team up with President Xi and conquer the Great Satan and all her misbegotten allies, ushering a new era of glorious peace onto this Earth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah this problem transcends WWE. But WWE is our neck of the woods around here.
I think we have to hope or, and I must emphasize I am a garbage person with no moral grounds to judge you, act. America needs counter-propaganda here. Messages of 'No, the KSA is not ok. They are still corrupt, malevolent assholes and all of these articles and all of these events are designed to cajole America and the rest of the West into fighting their battles for them, again."

Painting WWE as an unpatriotic company supporting foreign despots in their effort to kill our children in battles that are not our battles is probably the best course of action here. If we can't hurt their deal with the KSA then maybe painting them as a toxic company will compromise their business domestically.
I hope a big name star speaks out about this and gets fired. It might get the narrative rolling.

Kinda hard to take that stance with your POLITICAL ALLIES. And let's be clear, the Saudia Arabian government have been your political allies for years. So you'll have to go a lot higher to start getting WWE as unpatriotic. And you also have to climb high enough that 500 million dollars isn't worth your complaints.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Unfortunately the first step is to convince the populace that our alliance with Saudi Arabia is not mutually beneficial and it usually amounts to us doing their dirty work in exchange for rich people getting richer.

In this regard the tendency of humans to skim for content could be useful for once, since selling 'bad rich muslim oil men are loving with America' is not a hard sell. The nuance of entwined political allegiance would hopefully go over their head.

But now we're toeing into political quagmires that I'll admit are a little out of my depth.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 5, 2018

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

imagine reading this and thinking KSA is good now

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

if i was a saudi oil prince i would have asked for abyss just to see if that led to wwe buying tna

oh also wwe is a propaganda machine now lol

this is a really good and funny idea which i wish happened

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There's no way to ethically watch WWE but there's also no way to basically do anything in capitalism ethically so what are you gonna do.

You're going to become a Communist and celebrate 200 years of Big Daddy Karl Marx that's what you're gonna do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's no way to ethically watch WWE but there's also no way to basically do anything in capitalism ethically so what are you gonna do.

You're going to become a Communist and celebrate 200 years of Big Daddy Karl Marx that's what you're gonna do.

Who'd Marx ever beat? :rolleyes:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Who'd Marx ever beat? :rolleyes:

Adam Smith

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

DO NOT POST ABOUT PIRATING

is there an actual reason for this anymore? we dont have pirate forums and no one is suing Kyanka if people talk about using streams.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gonzo McFee posted:

I unfortunately have a wedding to go to, but yeah I don't know how anyone can look at Marx and say, "Man he was so wrong" unless you are a cop or rich person.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

Unfortunately the first step is to convince the populace that our alliance with Saudi Arabia is not mutually beneficial and it usually amounts to us doing their dirty work in exchange for rich people getting richer.

In this regard the tendency of humans to skim for content could be useful for once, since selling 'bad rich muslim oil men are loving with America' is not a hard sell. The nuance of entwined political allegiance would hopefully go over their head.

But now we're toeing into political quagmires that I'll admit are a little out of my depth.

oh completely rewriting the political climate of several nations is a little out of your depth? like the saudi deal sucks, they have atrocious national policies and anything they do tyo change is likely just window dressing but you either cancel your sub or you don't. You aren't complicit or in favor of it if you dont but these revolution-esque posts are dumb as hell. like i aint saying "ntohing matters never try" but for real some things are just above you

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MotU posted:

oh completely rewriting the political climate of several nations is a little out of your depth? like the saudi deal sucks, they have atrocious national policies and anything they do tyo change is likely just window dressing but you either cancel your sub or you don't. You aren't complicit or in favor of it if you dont but these revolution-esque posts are dumb as hell. like i aint saying "ntohing matters never try" but for real some things are just above you

Yeah I won't lie this comes up in therapy a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You can get lost in "how do I truly change the world" and either decide its all hopeless or do the "so I might as well not worry about it" thing a lot of WWE fans are arguing.

Or you can go the "help where I can, do what I can, change the world in small ways every day" which might not actually be a course to changing the world in any noticeable way but is probably the best life philosophy you can adopt short of throwing it all away and just dedicating your life to a cause.

Which I think is where "cancel your sub, voice your displeasure" becomes a worthwhile option. Will it change KSA? No. Will it change WWE? Probably not either. Maybe it will start a chain event that does change something. Or maybe its just you doing what you think is right.

IF you think its right. Again, I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do. You gotta make that decision for yourself. But you should definitely avoid the "I can't do anything" or "I need to do everything" paths.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
some things are attainable w/r/t brands and companies and lovely marketing things they do, which is even proven recently when they backed down on the Moolah thing but poo poo like that is attainable b/c its just the company itself doing something within the company itself. KSA poo poo is just a large gear in a machine too big to do something about at the level you can control personally, or even with a small group of people, at least within the current system of things. its unfortunate but you basically have to rectify that within your own self and affect things in a way you can: do not contribute to the product or its profits and do things to help ease the issues caused by it such as charities that help refugees or things from countries with oppressive regimes. even if you cannot change the problem itself, you can help ease the issues caused by it even in a small inpersonal way. you arent helpless

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
but still lol @ the line "little out of my depth"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jerusalem posted:

DO NOT POST ABOUT PIRATING

what about kairi sane

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Women Can Drive!*

*as long as their husband chaperones them

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MotU posted:

but still lol @ the line "little out of my depth"

To be fair, I had meant that as 'understanding of the nuances of international politics as they relate to the KSA/America political alliance'
Since I felt 'Our entire dynamic is the KSA sends the USA to fight its battles for them and in exchange our rich get even richer' may have been a somewhat shallow understanding of our relationship.

It applies to the other thing too.
I love me some drastic understatement.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 5, 2018

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54NG2HfNuT8

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AsInHowe posted:

what about kairi sane

shes a yachting enthusiast

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/FanSidedDDT/status/992880494357475328

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
As long as Becky Lynch can perform at the next event I am willing to forgive all

Just a misunderstanding

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
"I can't be sexist! I go to women's basketball!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jim Ross really needs to hang it up. Dude was great but time has caught up to him in multiple ways.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Those women need to EARN the right to work a show it’s illegal for them to perform in. They’re clearly not working hard enough!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I did what I could to help the situation with KSA and WWE.

Which in my case was tell my friend in Jeddah to see if she could get a job PRing for WWE or something instead of just the Chamber of Commerce over there so she could move further up in the world.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
well i understand JR's angle b/c if women weren't allowed to drive he'd be in a lil better place right now

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s an old carny Oklahoman who was ok with Vince constantly making fun of his condition. It makes perfect sense.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MotU posted:

well i understand JR's angle b/c if women weren't allowed to drive he'd be in a lil better place right now

Jim Ross was Bill Watts's protege. A hard rear end and a conservative pay off guy. You have to earn it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
He's not wrong but he's missing the point. No, it's no ones right to be booked on any card, male or female. The issue here isn't that the WWE didn't book any female talent, it's that they were not allowed to book any female talent. Similarly, house shows where said talent would have worked and made money were canceled, they deserve to be compensated.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have to imagine that the payouts to that show were at least above average.
Depriving the women that payoff because Saudi oil princes with more money than God think that girls have cooties is utter bullshit.
And JR is utter bullshit for feeling strongly enough about it to actually express it.

And the more I think about the more down I am with the idea of their money going into the pockets of women who are giving them nothing in return.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

I have to imagine that the payouts to that show were at least above average.
Depriving the women that payoff because Saudi oil princes with more money than God think that girls have cooties is utter bullshit.
And JR is utter bullshit for feeling strongly enough about it to actually express it.

And the more I think about the more down I am with the idea of their money going into the pockets of women who are giving them nothing in return.

the women got paid for the show even though they didn't wrestle per PWI

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Onmi posted:

He's not wrong but he's missing the point. No, it's no ones right to be booked on any card, male or female. The issue here isn't that the WWE didn't book any female talent, it's that they were not allowed to book any female talent. Similarly, house shows where said talent would have worked and made money were canceled, they deserve to be compensated.

Yeah, JR's argument is an idiotic conflation of two completely different things. No one "deserves" a spot on a card (within reason). But everyone deserves equal opportunity to earn one. If you don't provide that its called "discrimination." The women were not. Hence, criticism.

The fact that they were financially compensated for being discriminated against as if that makes up for it is kind of gross. Especially when it was probably just a way for WWE to avoid this turning into a bigger problem for them.

Also the fact that WWE wasn't allowed to book female talent is Saudi Arabia's sin. The fact that WWE didn't take a stand for its female employees and morality in general is WWE's sin. The fact we don't take a stand is our sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they literally complied with not bringing a wrestler over because of his race

• Locked thread