Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

the women got paid for the show even though they didn't wrestle per PWI

none of the women have confirmed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
JR's opinion lacks 2018 level nuance obviously.

Dialling that back Mick Foley in his first or second book recounted his arguments with JR about more equal pay across the card during the Attitude Era as WWF as a brand would sellout the arena not one specific wrestler.

Likewise, the Saudi show was a sold show and no one on the card specifically drew the house/attendance.

Personally, I think WWE should spread the wealth between wrestlers and office staff. Male and female. Dangerous take I know.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

none of the women have confirmed that

Payoffs for the Saudi show wouldn't be issued yet.

It doesn't take 3 plus months like it did in the PPV era but it takes a while.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

exploded mummy posted:

the women got paid for the show even though they didn't wrestle per PWI

I meant to say 'The idea' of depriving the women of the payday.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
There are obviously a lot of lovely things about this situation to go around, but as a public company, could WWE have realistically turned this down without a shareholder revolt that had massive long-term implications up to and including the McMahons being removed from the board and/or share price crashing to hostile takeover levels?

At $25m a show, 2x shows a year across 10 years, that’s half a billion dollars for a company valued at ~3 billion. “Instantly book 1/6 the company’s current value basically for free” seems to be the kind of thing that you can’t really turn down once you’re listed.

(I know, capitalism sucks, etc.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recall among the many reasons that Punk left WWE was that when the Network happened, he went to Vince and said,"So how does this affect our PPV bonuses?" and Vince replied,"We're working on it, don't worry!" and refused to be pressed any further.

I wonder if they've figured that out yet.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I recall among the many reasons that Punk left WWE was that when the Network happened, he went to Vince and said,"So how does this affect our PPV bonuses?" and Vince replied,"We're working on it, don't worry!" and refused to be pressed any further.

I wonder if they've figured that out yet.

No one of Punk's era has really spoken on the record yet. Everyone these days doesn't want to burn a bridge or knows they are one call from a comeback.

But yeah WWE kept scheduling and postponing meeting about how PPV to Network payoff would work.

But WWE and payoffs have always been a complex thing and depending on the year and is on a case by case basis. They'll pay a talent a million for Wrestlemania but then take it out of all their live event payoffs for the rest of the year.

And as Something To Wrestle With documented if a wrestler was below their downside guarantee WWE would/will send them to charity gigs when in actuality a wrestler could turn them down and be paid the same.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bloodysabbath posted:

There are obviously a lot of lovely things about this situation to go around, but as a public company, could WWE have realistically turned this down without a shareholder revolt that had massive long-term implications up to and including the McMahons being removed from the board and/or share price crashing to hostile takeover levels?

At $25m a show, 2x shows a year across 10 years, that’s half a billion dollars for a company valued at ~3 billion. “Instantly book 1/6 the company’s current value basically for free” seems to be the kind of thing that you can’t really turn down once you’re listed.

(I know, capitalism sucks, etc.)

Maybe, maybe not.
Can't just shrug and say 'well that's capitalism for you' because that attitude is what got America into this mess.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ChrisBTY posted:

Maybe, maybe not.
Can't just shrug and say 'well that's capitalism for you' because that attitude is what got America into this mess.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’m saying you could make a good case that WWE essentially had to take that offer, at least from the standpoint of a public traded company being beholden to its shareholders interests. This means if you have an opportunity to increase your company’s book value overnight by $500m with what amounts to zero effort, you almost legally have to, or you open yourself to a scorched earth shareholder revolt and/or hostile takeover. Turning down half a billion dollars on a three billion dollar company probably would have seen the shareholders boot the entire board, ultimately, finally wresting it from McMahon control. (Granted, this may be a good thing, depending on your view.)

Of course, I doubt anyone involved in the running of this carny company so much as blinked at the deal.

*(I wish WWE wasn’t tied to the shareholder game as much as anyone in this thread, because chances are we’d get a much better product than the mostly sanitized stuff we see today.)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ultimately everybody has to do what is right for themselves in this scenario.

They have to take the deal.
We have to take umbrage to it.
(At least I'd like to think we're all at least galled by the situation if not moved to protest)
This is the dynamic. Trying to see their side of it just enables them.
Since they're certainly not caring to see ours.
(not that they need to be enabled by us)

So WWE and KSA will do as they wish.
And so the stockholders and the Princes and CEOs will reap the rewards and someday die rich and happy in their sleep.
And the little people will pay the price. No justice known. No Karma paid.
Thus is the song that ends the world.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 6, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I enjoyed your poem

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i think a good way to get yourself involved and make a difference in this whole thing would be to make a lot of tasteless photoshops of things like Seth Rollins executing a woman in a dirt field by curb stomping her, but i'm not that good at photoshop nor do i have any motivation

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Baron Corbin posted:

i think a good way to get yourself involved
and make a difference in this whole thing
would be to make a lot of tasteless photoshops

of things like Seth Rollins executing a woman
in a dirt field by curb stomping her,
but i'm not that good at photoshop
nor do i have any motivation

this one is a better poem Though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they literally complied with not bringing a wrestler over because of his race

Given that Sami did work Saudi house shows before, I think it was less his ethnicity specifically, and more his charity work that made him taboo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Listen people, JR's totally right about this. Those women need to EARN their place on the card, like that sumo wrestler no one's ever heard of did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He earned the right to be the first fat guy they happened to see after Vince told the prince that Yokozuna was in fact dead and thus couldn't be on the show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Listen people, JR's totally right about this. Those women need to EARN their place on the card, like that sumo wrestler no one's ever heard of did.

Hey, that sumo guy earned his spot by looking kinda like Yokozuna if you squint and haven't seen Yokozuna in 30 years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, that sumo guy earned his spot by looking kinda like Yokozuna if you squint and haven't seen Yokozuna in 30 years.

Do you think that Prince had seen Yokozuna in 30 years? Also, they wanted loving Jerry Lawler commentating but then also had a guide of "Don't say anything that might be offensive" which pretty much precludes Jerry Lawler commentating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*cut to woman in the crowd*

jerry lawler: puppies, haha!

*jerry lawler is executed*

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They could have used Fallah Bahh, the Saudis would not have known the difference

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

They could have used Fallah Bahh, the Saudis would not have known the difference

Saudis: "We'll pay you 3, Mr Yozozuna"
Fallah: "Three whole dollars?! That's more than Impact paid me last year!"
Saudis: "Huh? We meant 3 million"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

Given that Sami did work Saudi house shows before, I think it was less his ethnicity specifically, and more his charity work that made him taboo.

Yeah, his ethnicity might have been a factor but his humanitarian work with the victims of KSA's victims was most certainly the bigger one.

But you know, that's fine. WWE is just respecting cultural differences about crimes against humanity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

Saudis: "We'll pay you 3, Mr Yozozuna"
Fallah: "Three whole dollars?! That's more than Impact paid me last year!"
Saudis: "Huh? We meant 3 million"

Fallah: 3 million?
Saudi: Yes, it's the lowest amount of money we can think of.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

3 million dollars is the amount of money a single bored Saudi prince will pour into WWE Super Card, by the way

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What a world.

https://twitter.com/m3takl_en/status/992675793712148485

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
at least someone can mod their wrestling forum well

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Vince: "Linda, I have a pitch for Donald that will help finally get Roman Reigns over...."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Love to promote my progressive and free society by arresting political prisoners.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Love to promote my progressive and free society by arresting political prisoners.

The Saudis are so progressive! Torturing and executing LGBTQ people, slavery/forced labor, but hey women can finally drive (with a male chaperone)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
booing roman reigns will be punishable by death

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Between Saudi Arabia and the creative lately, I canceled my network subscription. I’m all set for a while. The three other people that also used my wwe network login were pretty understanding.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Low Desert Punk posted:

booing roman reigns will be punishable by death

Great, now Vince is gonna go on Fox and Friends to try and get his buddy in the White House some new ideas

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I love the irony of this happening after all the "gotta respect their culture" astroturfing.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Justin_Brett posted:

I love the irony of this happening after all the "gotta respect their culture" astroturfing.

if anything, this makes me respect their culture even more

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Well I guess there's going to be a buried alive match at the next show

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Politics aside I'm still baffled as to why people shell out 10 bucks a month for such a lovely product. If you're really dying for wrestling content you could watch CMLL for practically free and get NJPW world and pay less. Especially now that they're likely going to start charging more for the network

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I assume it is inertia and the routine of WWE. It's less about watching wrestling and more about doing that thing you've always done which is watch WWE on Monday night.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Politics aside I'm still baffled as to why people shell out 10 bucks a month for such a lovely product. If you're really dying for wrestling content you could watch CMLL for practically free and get NJPW world and pay less. Especially now that they're likely going to start charging more for the network

The archive is really good.

That was the only thing I had it for so long, and will almost certainly be the reason I eventually resub. Although NXT is also a promotion which has incredible peaks.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I assume it is inertia and the routine of WWE. It's less about watching wrestling and more about doing that thing you've always done which is watch WWE on Monday night.

Aren't WWE's viewer demographics skewing older and older as time goes on? Like most of the people watching now are people that have been watching since the Attitude era and as they tune out there's no one replacing them?

I honestly don't get why anyone puts up with WWE programming. As much as I'm a workrate mark, I understand the appeal of character and story-driven wrestling. The thing is WWE is fundamentally and consistently terrible at portraying interesting characters or presenting satisfying stories,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jenkem Delivery posted:

The archives are ridiculously good and some of the original programming on the Network is pretty cool.

Plus it's only 10 bucks, there's way worse things I could be doing with the money.

• Locked thread