Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was it really 20 million a year for 10 years?

I'm sure the only thing they give a poo poo about is how happy the stockholders are going to be with that 200 million on the books.

Allegedly more like $25mil PER SHOW for 10 years, and they're likely doing 2 shows a year for the duration (they've already announced another one in November this year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

*Points to the financials and share price today*

I have no idea how Michelle Wilson didn't crawl out of her skin on the conference call when they were asked about this poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if we strip out all the blatant propaganda videos and soundbites, I can still see them doing the Daivaris thing as normal boneheaded WWE booking. It's basically the inverse of what they did on Raw with the AoP beating up two local lads who deliberate spoke French shittily to rile up the crowd, or with Rusev when he was doing the Putin medal poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Vince may actually be terrified that the XFL is going to tank again and he's going to lose hundreds of millions trying to make it work, so took a deal that bolsters WWE's coffers enough that they can take it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

XFL is wholly separate from Titan this time

Sure it is. They just had a WWE exec pitching Orlando on taking an XFL team.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

financially separate

And when Alpha Entertainment starts struggling, who's going to invest and bail them out? Or how is Vince going to raise more capital to inject into it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am almost positive the shareholders for WWE would riot

Hence why you take the Saudi money, to try and make the bitter pill easier to swallow. Yes, I know how ridiculous that is. No-one has said Vince McMahon was a smart man for a long time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

They are already using WWE owned assets and WWE employees to make pitches for the league.

WWE is also apparently a minority owner of the league, per the SEC filings

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

The thing is... there's a lot of upsetting things about this. The discrimination against women and WWE treating that as "respect people's cultures." The propaganda of a bad state. The Iran stuff writing storylines that feed into life and death world issues as a minstrel show to a King. Sami Zayn effectively being punished for giving a poo poo and being a good person trying to help people in this world, who happen to be some of the people KSA are hurting and hate. Its outrageous to me and a line I genuinely never imagined WWE crossing for as bad as they are.

But like... for the most part we all generally agree with that, no? That wasn't really the point of debate or thing I felt was worth discussing. My thing was the whole "condemn it but then handwave it away to a compartmentalized place so it doesn't affect our enjoyment" thing. But by opening a separate thread for it so it doesn't bother people in the WWE Discussion thread who don't want to think about it... didn't we just decide that issue?

I think the issue there is that at that point the argument stops being about WWE and the KSA and turns into condemning individuals. Basically at the end of the derail, it was becoming "YOU PERSONALLY are a BAD PERSON if you don't immediately cancel the WWE Network, the cable package that has USA on it, and burn all your wrestling merch", which is at best counterproductive, and at worst is going to be actively antagonistic if the people hearing it have very personal reasons for watching. Like, me, I'm a wrestling fan because of my late father. It was one of the few things we had in common, and a thing we'd watch together when I was little, and watching it gives me a little connection to him now. Now on an intellectual level I can understand the argument that you were making, but when the ire is aimed at ME and not WWE, it becomes very hard to disentangle those feelings and not feel like I'm being personally attacked for that connection. I certainly got the impression a few other people were uncomfortable for similar reasons.

It's also not out of sight/out of mind because everyone who was actively engaged in the discussion in the main thread (and more) are in here discussing in a more focused manner.

And finally, IF this was a commercial show, and WWE had ANY leverage in pulling out (ie, that it would cost the Saudi economy X amount to not have the show) then I can see trying to organise a campaign to alert sponsors, a la the Moolah thing, but these are sold shows. WWE pulling out would have literally no impact to the KSA and say nothing to them. They'd just get the UFC or Impact or someone to come instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I get that and I was trying to soften it a bit by acknowledging that I have my own similar moral compromises. But that doesn't mean I was doing a good job with it or that its an easy thing to do to. I still think that's kind of the point to this. If you want to say "I know this is bad but I choose to still give them money and just try and make up for it some other way" that's fine. That's your call and only you need to live with it. Hell, if you say "I know this is bad but I don't care" that's your call. But I do think "this is bad but if you say that I'm bad for contributing to it then you're bad" is an instinct routed in cognitive dissonance and guilt and its better off for us to fight through those difficult feeling and address it.

But of course that's easier said than done. And I'm certainly not qualified to force a bunch of posters on a messageboard to do it.

That feels... cop outish? Like, isn't that just saying "someone's gonna make money off the bad thing so why not me?" Historically that's the justification for a lot of bad stuff. I think it would be fair game to "punish" WWE for their relationship with KSA and actions in relation to it. Especially since its an ongoing one for the next 10 years. Then there's all those other moral issues. There was attention on the Moolah thing but nothing ACTUALLY changed. WWE changed the name and it went away, but WWE is the same company with the same morals and on that same show they honored the Warrior.

I'm not saying you should do it. Its totally up to you. But I think saying "WWE I'm done with you because of all these things but especially X" is totally fair.

And no-one is saying otherwise. If this is your line, that's fine. Laudable, even. But a number of people did turn around and say "this is bad but i choose to do other things to make the world a better place" or "this is bad but meh" and that wasn't apparently good enough.

And on the second point, it may be somewhat cop-outish. But if an organised boycott to 'punish' WWE happened, do you actually think they'd learn anything? Even if they pulled out of the deal, it would completely be a PR move on par with changing the battle royal name. It's more cynical apathy on my part than anything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's no way to ethically watch WWE but there's also no way to basically do anything in capitalism ethically so what are you gonna do.

You're going to become a Communist and celebrate 200 years of Big Daddy Karl Marx that's what you're gonna do.

Who'd Marx ever beat? :rolleyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they literally complied with not bringing a wrestler over because of his race

Given that Sami did work Saudi house shows before, I think it was less his ethnicity specifically, and more his charity work that made him taboo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Listen people, JR's totally right about this. Those women need to EARN their place on the card, like that sumo wrestler no one's ever heard of did.

Hey, that sumo guy earned his spot by looking kinda like Yokozuna if you squint and haven't seen Yokozuna in 30 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

They could have used Fallah Bahh, the Saudis would not have known the difference

Saudis: "We'll pay you 3, Mr Yozozuna"
Fallah: "Three whole dollars?! That's more than Impact paid me last year!"
Saudis: "Huh? We meant 3 million"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

When did Lita go from 'drunk aunt' to 'cool hippie drunk aunt'?

• Locked thread