Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, I still feel like there is a vague bit of prejudice behind the emphatic anti Saudi stuff but at the same time the more I learn about this deal the worst it sounds. I had thought it was just an expansion thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

On one hand it would be really, really, REALLY gross if Corey Graves got punished for being anti-Saudi Arabia.

On the other hand I want to see how many hoops people would jump through to defend WWE if they did.

I think we need to separate anti Saudi Arabia vs anti The Saudi Royal family. This seems to be an issue with the monarchy more than the people

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oatgan posted:

it was bigoted the other thousands of times

Yeah nothing about the Iran segment was out of character for the WWE it was just for the benefit of other brown people this time. Wwe has done empty jingoism for decades now it just seems weird because it's not our jingoism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am looking Forward to the month long Ramadanger that ends with the Eid al Fight

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

is Vince just really a massive stan for a genuinely fuckin evil regime of dipshit cartoon rich people?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There's a part of that wants to tell the Saudi prince about Muhammad Hassan

Gaz-L posted:

I think Vince may actually be terrified that the XFL is going to tank again and he's going to lose hundreds of millions trying to make it work, so took a deal that bolsters WWE's coffers enough that they can take it.

XFL is wholly separate from Titan this time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Sure it is. They just had a WWE exec pitching Orlando on taking an XFL team.

financially separate

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

The problem is they actively shilled for them not just in generic 'and boy what a lovely country' ways but just straight up lies by trying to make a brutally oppressive, colonial, theocracy sound like fuckin Wakanda in real life.

Yeah, when I was defending the WWE before the Rumble, I had assumed it was just expanding and doing overseas house shows, not straight up acting as a PR firm for the Saudi royal family

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

And when Alpha Entertainment starts struggling, who's going to invest and bail them out? Or how is Vince going to raise more capital to inject into it?

I am almost positive the shareholders for WWE would riot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Hence why you take the Saudi money, to try and make the bitter pill easier to swallow.

That's not how shareholders work. You don't get to take on a massive loss for the CEO's vanity just because you also found a profit somewhere else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I must be out of the loop but where does the Saudi Royal family being responsible for 9/11 all of sudden come from

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God, I just realized that they probably think they ARE just like Wakanda :stare:

Nah, Saudis are mad racist towards blacks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Now the Emirati, those fuckers think they are Wakanda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This is why I want them to find out about Muhammad Hassan because you know they have no idea

• Locked thread