Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've stopped watching as hard as I can.
But bad poo poo keeps happening.
And I can't stop caring.
(I really need "Multinational American Entertainment Company WWE under fire for supporting KSA propaganda" to be a national headline but we don't live in a world where good things happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The company that does Tribute for the Troops every year is now shilling for a terrorist funding state.
"It's a Company's job to make money." Is the opening bar of the "The Song that Ends the Earth"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Were we empowered to raise the banner and affect change I would have trouble disagreeing with you.
Unless you're advocating for a plan of action, rather than just endless discussion of how disgusted we all are than it would just serve to take the 'WWE discussion' out of WWE discussion.
(If you think we can contribute to some kind of collective outrage that might compromise their negotiating positions IRT their new TV deal, sponsors, potential XFL investors etc than I salute you, but is that what you're trying to accomplish?)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'd like to think that being sent to a despotic hellhole twice per year to suck the oil out of the KSA's dick would be the breaking point for a lot of disgruntled talent at the tipping point.
I'd love to see "All-in" be a rousing success so potential political pariahs like Cody Graves and whomever else might want to speak up but is concerned about job security can feel like there is a future for them in wrestling if they tell WWE to kiss the dimpled side of their rear end.

Cena, this might be your cue to retire. Thumping the party line is a bad example to the make-a-wish kids.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm sure he was torn up about it.
Lots of duders on the roster looking at their ancestry to see if they have an Syrian in them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah this problem transcends WWE. But WWE is our neck of the woods around here.
I think we have to hope or, and I must emphasize I am a garbage person with no moral grounds to judge you, act. America needs counter-propaganda here. Messages of 'No, the KSA is not ok. They are still corrupt, malevolent assholes and all of these articles and all of these events are designed to cajole America and the rest of the West into fighting their battles for them, again."

Painting WWE as an unpatriotic company supporting foreign despots in their effort to kill our children in battles that are not our battles is probably the best course of action here. If we can't hurt their deal with the KSA then maybe painting them as a toxic company will compromise their business domestically.
I hope a big name star speaks out about this and gets fired. It might get the narrative rolling.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 5, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Unfortunately the first step is to convince the populace that our alliance with Saudi Arabia is not mutually beneficial and it usually amounts to us doing their dirty work in exchange for rich people getting richer.

In this regard the tendency of humans to skim for content could be useful for once, since selling 'bad rich muslim oil men are loving with America' is not a hard sell. The nuance of entwined political allegiance would hopefully go over their head.

But now we're toeing into political quagmires that I'll admit are a little out of my depth.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 5, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MotU posted:

oh completely rewriting the political climate of several nations is a little out of your depth? like the saudi deal sucks, they have atrocious national policies and anything they do tyo change is likely just window dressing but you either cancel your sub or you don't. You aren't complicit or in favor of it if you dont but these revolution-esque posts are dumb as hell. like i aint saying "ntohing matters never try" but for real some things are just above you

Yeah I won't lie this comes up in therapy a lot.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MotU posted:

but still lol @ the line "little out of my depth"

To be fair, I had meant that as 'understanding of the nuances of international politics as they relate to the KSA/America political alliance'
Since I felt 'Our entire dynamic is the KSA sends the USA to fight its battles for them and in exchange our rich get even richer' may have been a somewhat shallow understanding of our relationship.

It applies to the other thing too.
I love me some drastic understatement.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 5, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have to imagine that the payouts to that show were at least above average.
Depriving the women that payoff because Saudi oil princes with more money than God think that girls have cooties is utter bullshit.
And JR is utter bullshit for feeling strongly enough about it to actually express it.

And the more I think about the more down I am with the idea of their money going into the pockets of women who are giving them nothing in return.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

exploded mummy posted:

the women got paid for the show even though they didn't wrestle per PWI

I meant to say 'The idea' of depriving the women of the payday.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bloodysabbath posted:

There are obviously a lot of lovely things about this situation to go around, but as a public company, could WWE have realistically turned this down without a shareholder revolt that had massive long-term implications up to and including the McMahons being removed from the board and/or share price crashing to hostile takeover levels?

At $25m a show, 2x shows a year across 10 years, that’s half a billion dollars for a company valued at ~3 billion. “Instantly book 1/6 the company’s current value basically for free” seems to be the kind of thing that you can’t really turn down once you’re listed.

(I know, capitalism sucks, etc.)

Maybe, maybe not.
Can't just shrug and say 'well that's capitalism for you' because that attitude is what got America into this mess.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ultimately everybody has to do what is right for themselves in this scenario.

They have to take the deal.
We have to take umbrage to it.
(At least I'd like to think we're all at least galled by the situation if not moved to protest)
This is the dynamic. Trying to see their side of it just enables them.
Since they're certainly not caring to see ours.
(not that they need to be enabled by us)

So WWE and KSA will do as they wish.
And so the stockholders and the Princes and CEOs will reap the rewards and someday die rich and happy in their sleep.
And the little people will pay the price. No justice known. No Karma paid.
Thus is the song that ends the world.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 6, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Even if everything else fell into place WWE fans wouldn't cheer him.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hassan was a heel who was completely justified.
That is impossible to write for in professional wrestling.
It was the sort of gimmick that would make people face their own prejudices. As much as we'd like to think that would be ok, it's not. Wrestling is not something for people who seek introspection.
You don't want to cheer him because he's throwing shade at you but if you boo then you're victim blaming.
Anybody who feuds with him is going to come off as a complete jingoistic tool (So they threw Duggan and Slaugher out there because the ship had already sailed on those two)
So you either make him more antagonistic or...I'm not even certain what the 'or' is in this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Except all the times it's been done flawlessly, like most of Mick Foley's heel turns (particularly his ECW one), or Bret turning his back on non-Canadian fans, or Punk turning on The Rock, or Randy Savage turning on Hogan for not being there for him in the Megapowers, or Orndorff turning on Hogan. Or Sid turning on Hogan. Turning on Hogan is acceptable, is what I'm saying.

Now, if you wanted to say "foreign heel whose racial identity in intertwined with why he's a heel", then you're onto something. And this isn't pedantry, because there's a sizable difference between the way people might react to a man angry that the fanbase who watches him is so bloodthirsty, that it wants to see his 3 year old child beaten with a singapore cane, and a guy who says that anybody who dislikes him must feel that way because of his racial makeup. Even if he's correct. Because while I agree with MRT that it was an angle that WWE was ill-equipped to handle and casting an Italian guy as a middle eastern Muslim was wildly inappropriate, I doubt the average fan eyeballed him and said "That ain't no muslim, he's eye-talian!". So it's quite possible that at least some of the fanbase were booing him for racial reasons.

Mick Foley once said that Michael Hayes told him that the best heels were ones whose actions are at least somewhat if not fully justifiable. Hayes wasn't a good wrestler and he's a poop booker, but he's right.

You're right that I wasn't thinking of other heels that had similar pushes unrelated to their cultural identities. I probably should have framed it that way. Although I think you could argue that the other 3 had exploitable holes in their justification if you looked closely enough. (Bret was just butthurt that Americans liked Austin better. Foley pioneered the hardcore movement then acted aghast when it drew in the bloodhounds. Punk had the crowd in his hands for a year during an ebb in WWE's popularity and thought that made him better than the guy who had been the man for 5 years before this point and the guy who was, at worst, 3rd most popular wrestler ever. Even I, as a big Punk fan, am forced to accept that Cena/Rock was the real match)

But Foley said Hayes told him that the best heels were the ones who think they're completely justified. Or maybe not. poo poo it's been awhile since I read "Have a nice Day"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

which is why you... just make him a goddamn face from the start. have Cena and the other top guys side with him and be like "yeah, most muslim people are totally fine," and have the people trying to fight that be the most unlikeable dickbag heels on the roster (JBL would have been a good choice around the time).

(also, put a wrestler who's actually Middle Eastern and who can wrestle better in the role preferably, but intelligent booking could have smoothed over both things.)

I'm not entirely sure that that strategy wouldn't get the other faces booed and JBL cheered. Maybe I'm underestimating WWE's core demographic.
Were there any middle-eastern wrestlers who could fit that role at that time?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 10, 2018

• Locked thread