Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I can't say I wouldn't take the same deal they've reportedly been offered (25 Million per show, 2 shows a year and some cut up Raws, And these are sold shows so they don't even have to worry about ticket sales. Basically doing what they say 2 times a year to a total tune of 500 Million dollars in 10 years) That doesn't mean I don't think it's disgusting.

Just that you'd have to have very, very strong moral fiber to turn down that kind of money. I don't doubt that every single wrestler actively hated having to do that, they all had to be given pamphlets on what to/what not to say. Everyone who talked there sounded like they had a gun to their head. But that's a lot of money, and it's very hard to say no to a lot of money when all it means is compromising your morals. Especially because you can justify that it's not like they asked you for a ritualistic sacrifice (Except the Iranian segment, which may as well have been the ritualistic murder of the Daivari's)

Still disgusting, and still something I'm going to look down upon the WWE for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CobiWann posted:

Didn’t they are a pro-KSA segment on RAW? I vaguely remember one or maybe just Cole gushing about KSA’s “progress” during one of those shots of the announce table.

Basically in regards to talking about the GRR in the "We thank the KSA for Hosting us in their progressive country" that you know the bile wells up in your throat just imagining having to say. And reportedly no one was comfortable there. Everyone was terrified of saying something wrong and being killed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jericho is as much a trooper as Cena is, I can't believe he came back to KSA after the last loving time he was there.

For those who didn't read his books after the first one, the last time Jericho was in Saudi Arabia and did a show, he basically blew off someone with an expensive car trying to buy something off him (I forget if it was the belt or something else) and basically threatening that he's "loving Dead" before speeding off in his stupidly expensive car.

If I had that happen to me I'd never loving go back.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah this problem transcends WWE. But WWE is our neck of the woods around here.
I think we have to hope or, and I must emphasize I am a garbage person with no moral grounds to judge you, act. America needs counter-propaganda here. Messages of 'No, the KSA is not ok. They are still corrupt, malevolent assholes and all of these articles and all of these events are designed to cajole America and the rest of the West into fighting their battles for them, again."

Painting WWE as an unpatriotic company supporting foreign despots in their effort to kill our children in battles that are not our battles is probably the best course of action here. If we can't hurt their deal with the KSA then maybe painting them as a toxic company will compromise their business domestically.
I hope a big name star speaks out about this and gets fired. It might get the narrative rolling.

Kinda hard to take that stance with your POLITICAL ALLIES. And let's be clear, the Saudia Arabian government have been your political allies for years. So you'll have to go a lot higher to start getting WWE as unpatriotic. And you also have to climb high enough that 500 million dollars isn't worth your complaints.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

He's not wrong but he's missing the point. No, it's no ones right to be booked on any card, male or female. The issue here isn't that the WWE didn't book any female talent, it's that they were not allowed to book any female talent. Similarly, house shows where said talent would have worked and made money were canceled, they deserve to be compensated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, that sumo guy earned his spot by looking kinda like Yokozuna if you squint and haven't seen Yokozuna in 30 years.

Do you think that Prince had seen Yokozuna in 30 years? Also, they wanted loving Jerry Lawler commentating but then also had a guide of "Don't say anything that might be offensive" which pretty much precludes Jerry Lawler commentating.

• Locked thread