Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
There are obviously a lot of lovely things about this situation to go around, but as a public company, could WWE have realistically turned this down without a shareholder revolt that had massive long-term implications up to and including the McMahons being removed from the board and/or share price crashing to hostile takeover levels?

At $25m a show, 2x shows a year across 10 years, that’s half a billion dollars for a company valued at ~3 billion. “Instantly book 1/6 the company’s current value basically for free” seems to be the kind of thing that you can’t really turn down once you’re listed.

(I know, capitalism sucks, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

ChrisBTY posted:

Maybe, maybe not.
Can't just shrug and say 'well that's capitalism for you' because that attitude is what got America into this mess.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’m saying you could make a good case that WWE essentially had to take that offer, at least from the standpoint of a public traded company being beholden to its shareholders interests. This means if you have an opportunity to increase your company’s book value overnight by $500m with what amounts to zero effort, you almost legally have to, or you open yourself to a scorched earth shareholder revolt and/or hostile takeover. Turning down half a billion dollars on a three billion dollar company probably would have seen the shareholders boot the entire board, ultimately, finally wresting it from McMahon control. (Granted, this may be a good thing, depending on your view.)

Of course, I doubt anyone involved in the running of this carny company so much as blinked at the deal.

*(I wish WWE wasn’t tied to the shareholder game as much as anyone in this thread, because chances are we’d get a much better product than the mostly sanitized stuff we see today.)

• Locked thread