Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's terrible, the KSA is awful, WWE sucks for doing this deal and the fact that even after the event they're continuing to produce propaganda pieces for them is really quite disgusting. Especially given that even without this deal WWE apparently is already the most profitable it has ever actually been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know KSA is rich as gently caress and Vince McMahon likes money despite being rich himself, but it really is quite astonishing the lengths they're willing to go to for this cash, especially at a time when they're not exactly hard-up for money. No women allowed at the same time WWE itself is actively pushing their women's division; reamed out for even showing a video featuring a woman in it; airing straight up propaganda pieces about KSA being progressive (including Anti-Iran poo poo with Daivari) and threatening their commentators for actually daring to speak up on the subject. Either they're getting an absolute SHITLOAD of money for this or Vince is in one of his,"Nobody questions my directives, EVER!" moods (or both).

I'm honestly surprised more mainstream news hasn't picked up on all this, even if WWE is beneath their notice surely the KSA itself is not.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Erebus posted:

Can we have a thread for understanding what WWE discussion doesn't count for WWE discussion

The KSA stuff was discussed just fine in the Discussion thread before, but a big derail got kicked off with at least one person accusing everybody who watches WWE of being actively and knowingly complicit in human rights abuses by KSA. Given that this is a big story, that it is ongoing, and that people were getting heated up about it I figured it best to shift discussion to its own thread, since it is big enough a subject to warrant it and it would completely dominate any other general WWE Discussion in the general WWE Discussion thread. I really don't see the problem with that, it's not like there is a limit on how many individual threads we can have and I'm not forbidding discussion of the topic itself, just moving it into its own thread.

If you want to discuss this further, take it to PMs, thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In this case I think it's safe to say that "KSA" is being meant to invoke the monarchy/Government/leadership figures over there rather than individual people or the population as a whole. In the same contextual way that people who complain about "America" generally mean politicians (or more often, specifically the President).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

*Points to the financials and share price today*

Share price will be affected by the KSA deal I'm sure (in a positive sense, because shareholders are human garbage for the most part) but my understanding is that the financial reports for this quarter don't take into account the KSA money yet, right? So even before they whored themselves out for this giant influx of cash they were already the most profitable they have EVER been as a company?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually misread that article and thought the plan was to CONTINUE the Anti-Iran stuff going forward, which I found an absolutely horrifying thought.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

trying to make a brutally oppressive, colonial, theocracy sound like fuckin Wakanda in real life.

Oh my God, I just realized that they probably think they ARE just like Wakanda :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What did Corey say, specifically?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiIkioBjOQF/?utm_source=ig_embed

"A drink to remember that no matter how bad WE think we have it, at least our women have rights and we all have freedom of expression."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Well I think that was my round about point. I mean, I don't agree that "WWE Discussion" doesn't include this. Its not a "WWE Storylines Discussion" and never has been. And that was really my argument. Compartmentalizing this means "out of sight out of mind." And that's what we did, isn't it?

I can see how some people might think this - I disliked the way some of this was being phrased in the WWE Discussion thread, but regardless of that this is actually a very big and complex (well actually it's kind depressingly straightforward) issue that I genuinely thinks warrants its own thread. It doesn't really make much sense to mix it all in with generalized discussion about WWE since it is gonna distract from that by its nature AND also the serious aspects of it will be weirdly undermined by posts about anti-homosexuality laws sittings between posts about Roman's shameful back and arguments about whether Dean Ambrose is overrated.

A topic like this easily warrants its own thread, it's a big issue to discuss. If people choose not to engage with it/read it etc, then that's their choice to do so and they shouldn't have to filter their way through it when having a separate thread serves everybody equally well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DO NOT POST ABOUT PIRATING

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In all seriousness, why the gently caress would they not announce this BEFORE the first show?

The really lovely thing is that WWE is now gonna claim,"See, progressive! All you people who claimed we were just doing a money grab should have just shut up!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I recall among the many reasons that Punk left WWE was that when the Network happened, he went to Vince and said,"So how does this affect our PPV bonuses?" and Vince replied,"We're working on it, don't worry!" and refused to be pressed any further.

I wonder if they've figured that out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Saudis: "We'll pay you 3, Mr Yozozuna"
Fallah: "Three whole dollars?! That's more than Impact paid me last year!"
Saudis: "Huh? We meant 3 million"

Fallah: 3 million?
Saudi: Yes, it's the lowest amount of money we can think of.

• Locked thread