Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

quote:

Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg told Reuters earlier this month that his company would apply the EU law globally "in spirit," but stopped short of committing to it as the standard for the social network across the world.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
haha drat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait does gdpr mean every forum has to let users be able to delete all thier posts at request because lmao if so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

obstipator posted:

GDPR should apply to humans as well as computers. if i tell someone a secret, i should be able to wipe it from they brain whenever i want

I too wish for Snow Crash to be real

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

wait does gdpr mean every forum has to let users be able to delete all thier posts at request because lmao if so

don't really think so, because you don't register yourself on these forums with your personal info

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

there's no personal identifiable info to delete

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

there's no personal identifiable info to delete

but what if you posted all your PII info in a post?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

then it's not a part of SA's bespoke user table

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

what if my name is ADINSX irl

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
James.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yes?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol, i am personally loving over lowtax

or would be if i were european

in reality i assume there’s some exception about user content so that the rules don’t end up potentially reaching literally everything

http://exemple.fr/my-ssn-is-xxx-yy-zzzz/hope-you-don%92t-log-accesses.gif

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rjmccall posted:

lol, i am personally loving over lowtax

or would be if i were european

in reality i assume there’s some exception about user content so that the rules don’t end up potentially reaching literally everything

http://exemple.fr/my-ssn-is-xxx-yy-zzzz/hope-you-don%92t-log-accesses.gif

You shouldn't send PII over a non-https connection.

:ohdear:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if someone complains about GDPR, who gets the money that gets fined? is it the EU?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

You shouldn't send PII over a non-https connection.

:ohdear:

lol if you think it doesnt happen all the time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

obstipator posted:

if someone complains about GDPR, who gets the money that gets fined? is it the EU?

yeah. its a protectionist tax because EU companies cant compete in international markets

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

obstipator posted:

GDPR should apply to humans as well as computers. if i tell someone a secret, i should be able to wipe it from they brain whenever i want

dead men tell no tales

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Shaggar posted:

yeah. its a protectionist tax because EU companies cant compete in international markets

If you're wondering where it goes it's mostly agricultural subsidies, quirky EU regional and cultural programs, research and development grants and EU administration

But about half is the subsidies. One weird trick to get farmers to like you

As for where the taxes normally come from it's VAT (which as an EU country you have to keep at a certain level) and custom duties

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Lots of farmers still hate the EU though because they're a bunch of inbreds who don't realise literally 60% of their income comes from the EU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isn't brexit going to wreck sheep farmers in the UK?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

lancemantis posted:

isn't brexit going to wreck sheep farmers in the UK?

nobody really knows, technically UK could just match the subsidies

but probably they won't, so yeah

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
brexit's gonna wreck a lot of things i imagine

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Lots of farmers still hate the EU though because they're a bunch of inbreds who don't realise literally 60% of their income comes from the EU

sort of. lots of farmers hate the EU because of loopholes that exist where certain farmers receive ridiculous governmental payments for ticking the right boxes, as opposed to being based off of need or merit. I remember this coming up in an EU policy course years ago, apologies for foggy details, will try to substantiate later. but aside from that the EU is not a universally good relationship for all farmers, in all nations

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OldAlias posted:

sort of. lots of farmers hate the EU because of loopholes that exist where certain farmers receive ridiculous governmental payments for ticking the right boxes, as opposed to being based off of need or merit. I remember this coming up in an EU policy course years ago, apologies for foggy details, will try to substantiate later. but aside from that the EU is not a universally good relationship for all farmers, in all nations

The big one is usually getting paid for letting fields go unused/parkland. Fine except in some poor countries (Romania and Bulgaria) undeveloped land is cheap enough that they get paid to tun woodland into lovely managed parkland

Also you get paid mostly per acre rather than for production, which pisses off people who want to do intensive farming. I personally don't mind that bit though because what's the point doing high-yield farming when you're already basically living off the public purse

Crucially both of those are about the details of the subsidies rather than the subsidies themselves though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
farm subsidies are dumb as hell everywhere and farmers can get hosed.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
last i read in the economist (lol) 90% of farm subsidies go to mega rich agricrops with 100MM+ revenues. like apparently the prince of whales gets millions and millions of euros a year. u know it's a good subsidy if it goes mostly to rich people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

last i read in the economist (lol) 90% of farm subsidies go to mega rich agricrops with 100MM+ revenues. like apparently the prince of whales gets millions and millions of euros a year. u know it's a good subsidy if it goes mostly to rich people.

I think that's the case mainly in the UK, which doesn't have many small farmers because of historical reasons (them being driven out to cities and all the land being owned by merchants and nobility)

There's still the odd farmer or two, but yeah most goes to rich fucks

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i counted and i'm up to 17 privacy policy update emails in the last 3 weeks lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OldAlias posted:

so kinda like the us and corn?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Private Speech posted:

The big one is usually getting paid for letting fields go unused/parkland. Fine except in some poor countries (Romania and Bulgaria) undeveloped land is cheap enough that they get paid to tun woodland into lovely managed parkland

Also you get paid mostly per acre rather than for production, which pisses off people who want to do intensive farming. I personally don't mind that bit though because what's the point doing high-yield farming when you're already basically living off the public purse

Crucially both of those are about the details of the subsidies rather than the subsidies themselves though

Yeah it's really dumb, they should at the very least let rewilded land count. The subsidy yield on agricultural land is like 10%, at least this way it would be good for the environment

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Gdpr is real dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Gdpr is real dumb

its actually good and should be worldwide

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we did a global thing none of this "durr how do i not serve web sight to Europe" horseshit would be an issue

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

its actually good and should be worldwide

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Gdpr is real dumb

please don’t troll the thread by signing your posts

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Happy GDPR day everyone :toot:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'll just click the opt in button for one of our security vendors...

:v:

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Happy GDPR day everyone :toot:
one more day friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chalks posted:

I'll just click the opt in button for one of our security vendors...

:v:

excellent.

• Locked thread