Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

You've already backtracked to album 5.
You may as well do it right and track their evolution from the start.
The first five are pretty much the only albums I've liked by them (the ones with drummer Terry Chambers) after which I found them too pastoral and folksy.

White Music:
Science Friction
This is Pop

Go 2 (with art by Hipgnosis, the design house doing artwork for such prog-rock luminaries as Yes, Pink Floyd, Osiris, Alan Parsons Project, etc.).
Original keyboardist Barry Andrews leaves after this album (he went onto form Shriekback with Gang of Four bassist Dave Allen).
Are You Receiving Me?

Drums and Wires
With the addition of second guitarist Dave Gregory, they probably were at the height of US popularity with the hits Making Plans for Nigel and Life Begins at the Hop.

Black Sea
Virgin Records was desperate to turn XTC into huge stars (which probably didn't help with Andy Partridge's crippling stage fright that made them stop playing live entirely), but by about now English music press like the NME were turning against them for their stateside success.
Generals and Majors featuring a cameo by Virgin Chairman Sir Richard Branson.
Sgt. Rock
They were electrifying on a double bill with the Police (touring behind Zenyatta Mondatta, their third).

And you're now caught up.

Wasn't the height of their popularity when Dear God was released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread