Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/AvowedtheGame/status/1788267720057794780

6 years? That can't be ri...

Its been 6 years. Excuse me while I slowly turn to dust.

Happy 6 year anniversary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I know it's hard to believe when the sequel looks so similar, but PoE2 is a much, much better game. From what I saw few people think different, maybe hardcore purists of sorts because the sequel is more lenient on resource management.

If the conversations bore you then PoE2 is definitely less wordy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wrote a 3000 word positive review on reddit that got deleted because I mentioned Gary Gygax was a racist.

No regrets.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

I know it's hard to believe when the sequel looks so similar, but PoE2 is a much, much better game. From what I saw few people think different, maybe hardcore purists of sorts because the sequel is more lenient on resource management.

If the conversations bore you then PoE2 is definitely less wordy.

Poe2 is better for sure but Poe1 is still an excellent game, especially with all the DLC. When I do a replay I usually do a full series run and don't just skip to 2. I like 1 a lot.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mystic pimp posted:

I am playing pillars 1 for the first time because baldurs gate 3 pisses me off with its fragile scripting. i got to the end of act 2, gave up after dealing with constant black screens during combat and losing progress due to bugs. anyway everyone I know says pillars is the best infinity engine style rpg but that it's soooo boring. however my experience so far is that the writing is better than bg3 and i love looking at sick icewind dale backgrounds. what the hell is so boring about it... gently caress you if you dont like hanging with eder. also any game with the darklands health system has my attention

Eder is just the best.

Also,

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Furism posted:

I think the expectations for Obsidian might be a little different. They're probably seen as "those guys that make regular as well as weird RPGs we can put on GamePass" and so as long as Microsoft wants a studio to fill that niche/check that box, they're probably safe (unless they gently caress up big time, which I don't see Obsidian do given all the leads are veterans)

I think a big fundamental difference is that Microsoft bought Obsidian specifically. Arkane Austin, in contrast, was a small part of ZeniMax.

Having worked in it I can say that big tech is a fickle world and your team is always only one VP shuffle away from being redundant, but for now it's likely that whatever logic -- and budget -- compelled them to buy Obsidian in the first place still applies.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am formally petitioning that an Avowed-themed pack of items and gear gets added to Deadfire, just like how the devs added the Deadfire pack and vendor into POE1 as promo for Deadfire before its release.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ginette Reno posted:

Poe2 is better for sure but Poe1 is still an excellent game, especially with all the DLC. When I do a replay I usually do a full series run and don't just skip to 2. I like 1 a lot.

POE1 is great. If I could dream, I would love for POE1 to get an "enhanced edition" that adds all the subclasses and multiclasses of POE2, and rebalances the game around them. I love POE2's character creation system, it's fantastic.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

mystic pimp posted:

I am playing pillars 1 for the first time because baldurs gate 3 pisses me off with its fragile scripting. i got to the end of act 2, gave up after dealing with constant black screens during combat and losing progress due to bugs. anyway everyone I know says pillars is the best infinity engine style rpg but that it's soooo boring. however my experience so far is that the writing is better than bg3 and i love looking at sick icewind dale backgrounds. what the hell is so boring about it... gently caress you if you dont like hanging with eder. also any game with the darklands health system has my attention

finally, a fellow scholar

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Node posted:

POE1 is great. If I could dream, I would love for POE1 to get an "enhanced edition" that adds all the subclasses and multiclasses of POE2, and rebalances the game around them. I love POE2's character creation system, it's fantastic.

gently caress yes

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jimbot posted:

6 years? That can't be ri...

Its been 6 years. Excuse me while I slowly turn to dust.

Happy 6 year anniversary!

6 six years and this thread is still going inexplicably strong.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nothing inexplicable about it, the games just loving rule.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I like POE1 and the Dyrwood so much because its the most "realistic" fantasy setting I've ever seen in a game, if that makes any sense.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I adore the Dyrwood. It's basically Fantasy Pennsylvania, with everything that implies and entails. It's exceptionally familiar in many ways that are very difficult to quantify, and it just rules. It's miserable without being hopeless and has crisises that are threatening but not immediate. I love Deadfire but it doesn't nail that same sense of "I have plenty of time to gently caress around" to me.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've put in so many hours into Deadfire already but I'm planning yet another playthrough once they announce Avowed's release date so I have some hype to build up to for my return to the setting. I also want to finalize my "true canon for the series" character that I conceived of earlier this year while replaying POE1 after not touching it for a long time. I doubt there will be any import feature that brings my choices into Avowed, however, so it's just going to be for fun/vision-board manifesting POE3 into existence.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I can´t say that I have such warm memories of the Dyrwood as a lot of posters in this thread. I vastly preferred the colourful, tropical island setting of Deadfire.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 11, 2024

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kith posted:

I adore the Dyrwood. It's basically Fantasy Pennsylvania, with everything that implies and entails. It's exceptionally familiar in many ways that are very difficult to quantify, and it just rules. It's miserable without being hopeless and has crisises that are threatening but not immediate. I love Deadfire but it doesn't nail that same sense of "I have plenty of time to gently caress around" to me.

I like the colonial atmosphere of the Dyrwood, just wish they had leaned even more into it. Deadfire Archipelago wins out for me as a "setting" but they're both great games. Of course the sequel has multi-classing, so...

oh and White March is dope

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been mulling over a multiclass choice for my canon POE1 Cipher that I would want to carry over into whatever theoretical sequel we might get in the future. I'm surprised to find that I'm leaning towards a Barbarian after some introspection. While I've rolled a few Barbarian characters across tabletop games and CRPGs and think they have their merits and are quite strong in the POE series, I've never really considered myself a Barbarian main. Yet I think mixing in Barbarian really suits how I roleplayed my POE1 Cipher, who was crafty most of the time but not above just strong-arming her way through some situations (carving my way through the Leaden Key base in Defiance Bay rather than infiltrating it, cutting down Simoc for his dastardly plans with Vela, etc).

I've actually done a Barbarian/Cipher multiclass before and its very unique playstyle is what draws me to a replay, even after countless runs and hundreds of hours of play time already. I think you might be disappointed by a Witch build if your only exposure is Serafen, who is largely let down by his Wild Mind subclass, but a main character Witch with access to the player-only Cipher and Barbarian subclasses (in this case Beguiler and Furyshaper) has capabilities far beyond a companion Witch build. What I really like about this build is the feeling of making use of every part of the buffalo with layers of self-reinforcing synergies, much like the Berserker/Nalpazca build I've posted before (which I realize is another Barbarian-based build, so I might be a Barbarian player after all). This build also makes use of a hunting bow for its main weapon which is a bit unconventional but fits my conception of my Watcher as an iconoclastic renegade, plus synergies coming from this multiclass and race choice make this is a powerful weapon in their hands, despite the lack of Carnage and Ranger seeming like a more appropriate choice for a ranged weapon build. I've been refining and testing this build and it's got me really excited for another Deadfire playthrough before Avowed is released.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cipher/Ranger is nuts. Everything about them synergizes and supports the others' aspects, it's bonkers.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, Cipher/Ranger is a classic pairing for Focus generation. My Cipher/Barbarian build is Beguiler-based and is essentially able to cast endlessly without weapon attacks (for most encounters, in any case), so I'm multiclassing with a Barbarian less for damage and more for action speed and recovery bonuses. A happy little coincidence is that this build just so happens to also unlock the full potential of a particular hunting bow so I have a strong option for that as well.

My only dilemma is that it would require switching over my imported character from an orlan to a dwarf to enable certain aspects of my build, and I really love orlans in the setting as plucky underdogs. But dwarves are also cool and Obsidian did a good job in distinguishing them from other fantasy dwarves by making them renowned explorers who you can find in all corners of Eora and integrated into many different cultures.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Which bow?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Frostseeker is easy to get, it's right outside Neketaka.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The bow I'm talking about for my build is Aamiina's Legacy which is a monster in the right hands (though that's true for most weapons). While the main emphasis of my Beguiler/Furyshaper build is supplementing spellcasting speed, the build choices made to support that goal also happen to line up with harrying, opportunistic archer build without much further investment.

I'm thinking of writing up an actual build guide for this Beguiler/Furyshaper build because I'm really excited by it. I've played it before but can't remember if I actually finished the playthrough or just reached level cap which is usually when I abandon a run (for yet another run with a different build that piques my interest). I know it works broadly as a proof of concept from my previous experience with other builds using these subclasses. Right now I've been putting my Beguiler/Furyshaper through its paces with some of the repeatable Seeker, Slayer, Survivor fights and random console spawned enemies and it performs quite admirably, plus I think I've made some clever gear and ability choices to deal with its weakness and situations where Focus generation can be tricky such as boss fights.

I've replayed Deadfire way too much at this point, but a chance to refine this build with my greater degree of game knowledge and its unique playstyle is really motivating me to go for another playthrough before Avowed launches.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

moot the hopple posted:

The bow I'm talking about for my build is Aamiina's Legacy which is a monster in the right hands (though that's true for most weapons). While the main emphasis of my Beguiler/Furyshaper build is supplementing spellcasting speed, the build choices made to support that goal also happen to line up with harrying, opportunistic archer build without much further investment.

I'm thinking of writing up an actual build guide for this Beguiler/Furyshaper build because I'm really excited by it. I've played it before but can't remember if I actually finished the playthrough or just reached level cap which is usually when I abandon a run (for yet another run with a different build that piques my interest). I know it works broadly as a proof of concept from my previous experience with other builds using these subclasses. Right now I've been putting my Beguiler/Furyshaper through its paces with some of the repeatable Seeker, Slayer, Survivor fights and random console spawned enemies and it performs quite admirably, plus I think I've made some clever gear and ability choices to deal with its weakness and situations where Focus generation can be tricky such as boss fights.

I've replayed Deadfire way too much at this point, but a chance to refine this build with my greater degree of game knowledge and its unique playstyle is really motivating me to go for another playthrough before Avowed launches.

i really feel like im gonna get at least one more playthrough in yeah lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
lmao, whoops, wrong game thread

Mustang fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 14, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

what mysteries has Wael put behind that edit..?

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I'm about 11 hours into pillars 1 now. Im assuming act 1 will end when I go to defiance bay cuz thats what would happen in an IE game so I started doing endless paths and had some really fun, challenging fights against the fucker ogres on level 3. I like that you can hear them stomping around...

I also remembered that Kolsc existed and told me to go to the raubritter castle, so I'm finally doing that and compared to od nua I'm lmaoing watching my party gib huge packs of these dipshit priests left and right. Game owns.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ogres are indeed huge fuckers in Poe1. Ogre Druids especially with their love of insect plague :argh:. As far as the Endless Paths go it's pretty much fine to do parts of that and just leave when it feels too challenging and then come back when you've got levels/equipment to try again. Also once you hit level 7 you may want go check out White March 1 as it is designed to be done around that level. You'll get a quest from the Caed Nua Steward about that at some point soon.

You don't have to go there right away though. I often finish Act 2 before doing it and then go to Wm1 (and upscale it since it's designed to be done at lvl 7 and I'm usually level 9 or 10 after finishing act 2).

Poe1 owns. I need to play again soon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Things I want now in no particular order

1) POE3
2) A combat focused tactical game using the POE ruleset and character generation, sort of like how Icewind Dale was to Baldur's Gate. The White Forge, while very good, are just DLCs. I want a full game!
3) POE1 Enhanced Edition that adds in multiclasses and subclasses
4) Avowed

Please make my dreams come true, Obsidian.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
As I recall, Ogres have low Will and very low Reflex so any kind of Confusion/Mind Control as well as Slicken works wonders on them. But on PotD I tend to cheese a bit and split the groups. In my head-roleplay it's fine because they're just so dumb they forget after a few seconds a dude struck them with an arrow, especially if they break line of sight.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Node posted:

1) POE3
2) A combat focused tactical game using the POE ruleset and character generation, sort of like how Icewind Dale was to Baldur's Gate. The White Forge, while very good, are just DLCs. I want a full game!
4) Avowed

There was clearly an effort to make PoE engine a new infinity engine. There were Tyranny and Numenera, and both weren't as good as I'd hope.

Also White Forge is a cool name.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't want poe 3. I want darklands 2.

Edit: or maybe "between two fires" the viddygame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Edit: or maybe "between two fires" the viddygame

From's been making these for a while

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Node posted:

1) POE3
4) Avowed

That's a very good wish list. I'd settle for just 2) honestly, but the map creation pipeline is maybe too complicated/time consuming for a smaller studio. For point 3) it's probably a lot more complicated to do than it sounds and might break a lot of things in the game, not to mention they'd have to re-balance a lot of the fights based on the fact that a lot more abilities are per-rest in POE1.

Since wish lists are fun, what I want is:

1) POE3 but set in Redcearas. I want to see Obsidian's take on theocracy, and how that nation evolved during Waidwen's rise as a prophet, and how the economic downturn of the time might have helped with that. I don't know, that seems like an interesting topic. We had a glimpse of the end of Waidwen during Beast of Winter, of course (and one of the hardest fight in the game imo), but if that was the end then I want to see the beginning of that story. And/or maybe the aftermath.
1b) I want to know what the hell is in the Lake of Drown Tombs, because that's a pretty big place on the map and I don't think it was ever explained. Somebody must have an idea since it's there.

Make it BG3esque (3D and Turn-based) if that sells better, although I personally think isometric 3D and RTwP is perfect, I won't die on that hill if that gives me more POE. Avowed don't count, it doesn't scratch the same itch for me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

As I recall, Ogres have low Will and very low Reflex so any kind of Confusion/Mind Control as well as Slicken works wonders on them. But on PotD I tend to cheese a bit and split the groups. In my head-roleplay it's fine because they're just so dumb they forget after a few seconds a dude struck them with an arrow, especially if they break line of sight.

Yeah slicken/confuse/etc owns them. Still, sometimes it's hard to get that off quick enough and if one of those Ogre Druids gets off an Insect Plague on you it really sucks and does so much damned damage.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Furism posted:

1) POE3 but set in Redcearas. I want to see Obsidian's take on theocracy, and how that nation evolved during Waidwen's rise as a prophet, and how the economic downturn of the time might have helped with that. I don't know, that seems like an interesting topic. We had a glimpse of the end of Waidwen during Beast of Winter, of course (and one of the hardest fight in the game imo), but if that was the end then I want to see the beginning of that story. And/or maybe the aftermath.

I see a lot of interesting storytelling potential for the setting after the events of Deadfire. Spoilering since I think new players are currently playing it. I'm particularly interested in the religious implications of the Wheel's destruction since this is a world where reincarnation is a fundamental process in both its metaphysics and religious tradition. I wonder what kind of millenarianist reaction will grow out of the end of reincarnation. We already saw this in small-scale in the series with the rise of apocalyptic sects, clergy losing faith, rulers sacrificing subjects in the hopes of appeasing whatever gods they assumed they've offended, and people desperately turning to quacks and fraudsters for salvation. If Waidwen's Legacy was enough to turn the Dyrwood into a land of pervasive fear and desperation, what's going to happen when the whole world finds its future generations stillborn? I could see POE3 having this Children of Men vibe to it, mixed in with a Time of Troubles/Twilight of the Gods scenario now that the gods too face extinction and have a personal vested interested to take matters into their own hands, especially after Eothas has broken protocol.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah slicken/confuse/etc owns them. Still, sometimes it's hard to get that off quick enough and if one of those Ogre Druids gets off an Insect Plague on you it really sucks and does so much damned damage.

I have been using slicken and Durance to deal with these guys so thank you both for the advice, I'm happy I'm dealing with them in probably the best possible manner I can

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

moot the hopple posted:

I'd read that guide. I have no idea how to make good ranged characters that aren't spell slingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

rocketrobot posted:

I'd read that guide. I have no idea how to make good ranged characters that aren't spell slingers.

I've pretty much settled on the final gear and ability choices on the Beguiler/Furyshaper hired adventurer I've been testing so I'll draft up the build and post it some time tomorrow. This is admittedly still predominantly a spellcaster build but I don't think you'll be disappointed by its attack capabilities.