Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huge has a really cool design, and it seems designed to bounce away when hit rather than just take the blow.

I feel like spinners and drums aren't gonna do much against it, but a big horizontal blade (Tombstone) will be tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ConfusedUs posted:

Huge has a really cool design, and it seems designed to bounce away when hit rather than just take the blow.

I feel like spinners and drums aren't gonna do much against it, but a big horizontal blade (Tombstone) will be tough.

Yeah I guess their defensive plan is to keep the smashable carriage up off the ground where the other bots can't even reach it with their weapons, but attacking the wheels just makes the entire thing just bounce even further out of range.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao Vanquish

NuHazard strikes again

e: Petunia with the killsaw combo was super cool

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 19, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Petunia's wedge is angled way too high to grab things. Otoh Rotator remains terrible

Edit: Huge won't have problems with drum spinners or short ones like Bombshell, but long arm spinners like Tombstone or ICEwave have a decent chance of catching one of the wheels between the spokes and then eating it.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Noticed there was a new thread, figured I'd pop in with a bit of insight into filming-

The entire event, including inspections was filmed over a 16 day period around the start of April.
The ranking match format gives teams that have a rough first match a chance to come back, though it's pretty brutal on the teams as by the end of four fights odds are you've had a lot of work to do.
For those that saw the Bombshell fight, we were having issues with the weapon motor, belt tension, and esc programming for the fight. By the time the first fight happened we'd already burnt up two of our weapon motors and had to make a trip to the motor vendor to buy more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MikeNCR posted:

Noticed there was a new thread, figured I'd pop in with a bit of insight into filming-

The entire event, including inspections was filmed over a 16 day period around the start of April.
The ranking match format gives teams that have a rough first match a chance to come back, though it's pretty brutal on the teams as by the end of four fights odds are you've had a lot of work to do.
For those that saw the Bombshell fight, we were having issues with the weapon motor, belt tension, and esc programming for the fight. By the time the first fight happened we'd already burnt up two of our weapon motors and had to make a trip to the motor vendor to buy more.

That's really rough. At least you have time between matches to get major repairs done as opposed to Robot Wars. Still burning out two motors before the start of the second match is painful.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

That's really rough. At least you have time between matches to get major repairs done as opposed to Robot Wars. Still burning out two motors before the start of the second match is painful.

Yeah, to what degree they were able they gave teams a good bit of time between fights. There was some decent equipment on site (Tormach mill & lathe, Lincoln welding gear, etc...) which made some of the repairs and modifications far less painful than they'd have otherwise been.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
End Game's intro reminds me I need to finish watching the Chinese Battlebots clone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was terrible Shredarator

I love Yeti

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 19, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was terrible Shredarator

I love Yeti

Shrederator is a bad bot.

Yeti otoh, is a really good one.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Any bot that can't self right itself is a bad bot. Even worse if your bot's design basically guarantees you'll end up flipping around at some point... and you can't flip yourself.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Has any full body spinner ever been any good, outside of Ziggo?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Glumslinger posted:

The one that touched another battlebot and instantly exploded was pretty good

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Glumslinger posted:

I have high hopes for Megabyte Gigabyte. He's the heavyweight equivalent of Ziggo post-CC Battlebots.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

End Game's intro reminds me I need to finish watching the Chinese Battlebots clone.

I really enjoyed the show, they have up to 9 fights per episode so they really pack 'em in there and you're guaranteed at least one awesome match on every card. Also they have the usual arena challenges but they also came up with a brand new one: whoever built the arena did such a cruddy job that the poor design drastically effects the results of several fights completely by accident. :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why do they always hype Witch Doctor like it's good? I seem to recall it repeatedly failing spectacularly in past years.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

they seem to be a fan favorite. probably something about the witch doctor theme and the team leader being a woman

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

it's the silly hats

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

it's the silly hats

Leaning hard into being more pro-wrestling than boxing is always more hype.

New rules for 2018 have up to 10lbs of allowances for decorations and not enough bots thus far have taken advantage of it.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Why do they always hype Witch Doctor like it's good? I seem to recall it repeatedly failing spectacularly in past years.

Its had a lot of good fights and looks cool. It doesn't win much but it did manage to go toe-to-toe with Tombstone for a bit, and might have even won if it had self-righting. Every bot should have that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They hype the female teams :eng101:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Xelkelvos posted:

Leaning hard into being more pro-wrestling than boxing is always more hype.

New rules for 2018 have up to 10lbs of allowances for decorations and not enough bots thus far have taken advantage of it.
Probably because it is likely to heavily conflict with the no entanglement rule and lead to disqualifications.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Probably because it is likely to heavily conflict with the no entanglement rule and lead to disqualifications.

That's addressed actually.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why is this show so entertaining.

Also what's with the renewed power balance. From what I remember of Robot Wars as a kid wedges and crushers just destroyed the opposition and now suddenly spinners of all kinds are the bees knees?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 20, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

Also what's with the renewed power balance. From what I remember of Robot Wars as a kid wedges and crushers just destroyed the opposition and now suddenly spinners of all kinds are the bees knees?

Robot Wars has always been the more gentler of the 2 shows. And half the time you can win on Robot Wars just by shoving your opponent into the house robots / into the pit.

And the current Battlebots rules require some form of active weapon and half the judges points seem to be based on damage.

As for crushers, they might be effective when Battlebots had the lower weight classes, but with the heavy bots, they have more weight to spend on proper armor (for the most part).

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Robot Wars was also quite a long time ago and general expertise has increased outside of just a few top competitors. High-energy spinning designs need to be built to a higher standard to remain steadfast through multiple fights.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Interestingly, armor tends to be more effective in the lower weight classes and crushers are less effective. For example I've got a 1 pound crusher that can squeeze with 180 pounds of force. If I was able to scale linearly to the 250 pound class it would be gripping with over 20 tons of force. But as it stands it can mostly just bend thin aluminum or polycarbonate.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MiddleOne posted:

Outside of the active weapon tournament ruleset, a wedge is still the most successful heavyweight in the world. Essentially the same bot is competing in Battlebots this year but with a forklift.

The best heavyweight crusher right now is Spectre, a British bot exclusively competing in the Chinese King of Bots and This Is Fighting Robots shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coaaab posted:

The best heavyweight crusher right now is Spectre, a British bot exclusively competing in the Chinese King of Bots and This Is Fighting Robots shows.

That's either eerily similiar or literally the crusher I was thinking of from my childhood.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
You're thinking of Razer, who most recently came back during the first season of the Robot Wars reboot but is now probably semi-retired. It's a different team, though, they're also the dudes behind Warhead. The team behind Spectre were the ones actually managing much of the Robot Wars reboot and even built the house robots for that iteration of the series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone hasn't noticed yet you can wait h this season on Science Channel's website, with ads. Discover locks it behind a subscription though.

Also lol at the one bot sawed in half in ep2.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/999726845791801344

lol at the one-shot projectile bot debuting in a multi-bot rumble

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

You laugh, but maybe it will one shot Gamma 9 and then bully the Four Horsemen around to win a decision.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I've watched BattleBots with my son pretty much his entire life. He is 15 now, and this year my 4 year old watched his first episode with the start of this season. It is hilarious how much he absolutely loves it. Not just the matches, like every second of it. He and I have been marathon-ing BB 2.0 and the first two seasons, and he thinks it is the most amazing thing ever.

I ended up buying him the little remote control bots and arena and it got delivered today and it is pretty drat fun. They even have break away pieces and the weapons work fairly well too.

Here he is with Tombstone and WitchDoctor, Beta and Minotaur are still shipping.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's the best, he must be stoked. Was it expensive?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That's the best, he must be stoked. Was it expensive?

$50 for the arena with WitchDr and Tombstone from Walmart and another $50 for Beta and Minotaur. It was going to be a Christmas present but to be honest I wanted to play with them before that so...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hexbug-B...1a1&athena=true

Here is a video of them all going at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuspEL6LDRw

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also they have the usual arena challenges but they also came up with a brand new one: whoever built the arena did such a cruddy job that the poor design drastically effects the results of several fights completely by accident. :v:

This is the most perfectly China thing that could happen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coaaab posted:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/999726845791801344

lol at the one-shot projectile bot debuting in a multi-bot rumble

How does that thing even work.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

How does that thing even work.

Its a potato cannon firing a steel slug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Death to MIT cat ears guy

• Locked thread