Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So a bot without any 1 on 1 wins gets to be the #16 seed. Perhaps that's why everyone is upset about the judges decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Eh, they put Bombshell into the rumble knowing that, and it did a really good job. Bombshell probably should've been the winner against Yeti in episode 9, but that was another judges' decision that seemed strange.
It may have been influenced by Bombshell catching fire 5 seconds before the end of the match despite breaking Yeti's weapon and damaging it heavily and being pretty dominant for most of the match. The other fights Bombshell lost seemed like it was usually put into a bad situation by not being able to self right effectively letting opponents choose how to finish it (two chose to hurl it out of the ring).

I'm sure Duck will be back next year and I'm cool with a goon battlebot being able to continue on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Duck is impressively durable, but that team made the tactical decision to bring a robot that essentially has no weapon to a contest where weapon damage is the plurality of the points awarded. Duck's only chance of winning the rumble was 5-way knockout, and hey, they almost did.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
They should have have pushed more bots into Megabyte.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drowning In Terror posted:

They should have have pushed more bots into Megabyte.

I love how the team kept the weapon running

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like Duck! should have gotten, like, a 13 seed or so without having to participate in the rumble. Their losses were to Tombstone and Bronco of all people!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
duck is a loving tank and even if it loses, it still puts a ton of structural strain on the other bots that will bite them in the rear end later

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

On the plus side, given all the controversy it seems like it's almost certain there's going to be a Bombshell Vs. Duck rematch next season, which should be a fun fight.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MikeNCR posted:

On the plus side, given all the controversy it seems like it's almost certain there's going to be a Bombshell Vs. Duck rematch next season, which should be a fun fight.

Out of curiosity, what led you to forgo the modular design this year? Also, was the lack of self-righting intentional?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Out of curiosity, what led you to forgo the modular design this year? Also, was the lack of self-righting intentional?

We had a modular design mostly done, but the time between the season being official and the ship date was far too tight to build it without cutting tons of corners. Due to some shipping delays we essentially had 5 weeks to build the robot. The self righting plan was to use the disk to help with righting, however the motors we used had a nasty habit of catching fire when we gave them near their "rated" power. The lack of ability to handle power meant we needed to use the faux-bar instead of the full disk since it was lighter, but that made self righting harder. If you look at the bot in the rumble and Bite Force fights, you'll notice the "ears" are gone. Cutting them off meant we couldn't get stuck in a position where the wheels wouldn't reach the ground, but we also couldn't spin while inverted.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Have the Inertia Labs guys only really done BattleBots and no other competitions?

I can look at RoboGames or ComBots or whatever and see the same drivers and bot designs as I see in BattleBots, but Intertia Labs seems to not (at least regularly) participate in any other competitions.

I would think given how successful they usually are, they would want to participate in other events. But I don't know, maybe in a meta where wedges are allowed, flippers don't do as well or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Eh I think the judge's decision is fair, Duck is almost rules lawyering w.r.t. having an active weapon and otherwise it is just 100% a pure tank. Them making active weapons important both for the rules and design requirements is good for the sport in the long term. Duck is a prime example of technology being able to make almost unbreakable bots if you purely focus on structure; and without the focus on active weapons in a few years the lineup would turn into a bunch of unkillable (wedged) bricks. I do like the bot though and it's fights and it should have gotten a straight ticket to the finals but still, and bombshell did good work in the rumble anyway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Florence knocked out the power during the last fight, who won?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

wormil posted:

Florence knocked out the power during the last fight, who won?

Duck looked like the sole survivor until the last second, but Bombshell showed movement in the nick of time as the round ended. Bombshell won by unanimous judges decision, presumably because it doled out more active weapon damage than Duck. Duck's driver looked equal parts crushed and pissed, and the decision was somewhat controversial.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Duck looked like the sole survivor until the last second, but Bombshell showed movement in the nick of time as the round ended. Bombshell won by unanimous judges decision, presumably because it doled out more active weapon damage than Duck. Duck's driver looked equal parts crushed and pissed, and the decision was somewhat controversial.

Yep. I'm pretty sure if Duck had used their weapon more they'd have won. Using the lifter as a plow likely actively prevented them from getting the aggression point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

maybe if duck actually fuckin did anything it'd win

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Even for non wedgebots, I feel like the right strategy on such a big rumble would be to hang back as much as possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oh jay posted:

Even for non wedgebots, I feel like the right strategy on such a big rumble would be to hang back as much as possible.

The Luigi Strategem

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The decision was fair, Bombshell legit won the fight. But I'm sure the controversy is from that Bombshell, an 0-4 bot is in the 16 over Duck that's 2-2 only lost to the top 2 seeds.

Hopefully Duck gets back in the next season and has a real weapon to go with their 1 piece body indestructible bot. (Or go the lazy route and have a flame thrower and call it a weapon.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

oh jay posted:

Robot Wars did it right with its rumble for seeding rights. No time-limit, last bot standing rules, and then throw some house robots in there to "nudge" the hanger-backers who want to be cozy in the corner.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

They really ought to have a qualifying test on active weapons. Just some generic sacrificial scrap bot in the battlebox and give them 3 minutes to show they can do damage so they weed out the bots like Duck and ones that are just garbage like the hamburger one that weapon never worked. Does anyone tune in or show up for the live taping hoping to see two bots in a shoving match?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Does anyone tune in or show up for the live taping hoping to see two bots in a shoving match?

They can be fun with a format and ruleset catered to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

However, a format like Battlebots is definitely better for the active weapon requirement, as impressive a tank Duck was, its nominal weapon was a bit too nominal.

Is there a specific engineering reason why people aren't using spears? That'd be a new and interesting weapon to watch, strap one of those on Duck.

I remember seeing a test box in the pits during some behind the scenes stuff, did the hamburger team even use it?

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 17, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Is there a specific engineering reason why people aren't using spears? That'd be a new and interesting weapon to watch, strap one of those on Duck.

I remember seeing a test box in the pits during some behind the scenes stuff, did the hamburger team even use it?

A spear seems like an even less-effective hammer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slap a thermic lance on something what could go wrong :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Something like Double Jeopardys cannon with a captive spear so it can refire is probably the best chance a spear has at being effective.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

They can be fun with a format and ruleset catered to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

However, a format like Battlebots is definitely better for the active weapon requirement, as impressive a tank Duck was, its nominal weapon was a bit too nominal.

I believe Duck's "beak" is supposed to be a spear, but they've designed it such that it's just an extension of their wedge so they can go "see, active weapon" and enter a wedge bot in the competition.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yep, they did. They sound happy that it's working at the time:

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, I checked out their youtube channel and I guess they tested it out in the testing box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JflaLY_Vvdk

Maybe next year?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Because it's probably nearly impossible to get enough speed and energy for it to actually puncture through metal of something that's on wheels when you're also on wheels. Like instead of actually doing any damage, it would just push the 2 bots apart.

A hammer/spike can probably be useful, Chomp basically already has that, but the bot seems to be designed to fall over when it hits something...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like there is a flaw in the rules that allow horizontal spinners, especially Tombstone, to dominate. It's like rock, paper, scissors; without the paper. Right now the only chance against Tombstone is building something like Duck and hoping it can break the blade.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

...and the decision was somewhat controversial.

Thank you.

I like Duck and root for them but the weapon sucks and I'm not surprised they'd lose to a decision. Also, it needs wheel protection!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wouldn't call it a rock paper scissors type thing.

There are a few weapon classes in the combat bot battles. And the obvious 2 dominating ones are the horizontal spinner and the flip bots. The vertical spinners and drums are also solid and close behind them.

But, the elite bots (Tombstone, Bronco, Minotaur) are not just elite for having powerful weapons. They are well built / battle tested bots and are pretty dependable.

I found it interesting with the Tombstone / Duck fight, when he stopped moving the weapon was still spinning. Once he got Tombstone moving again the weapon was not spinning. So seems like Ray might have a way to divert power from the weapon to the drive motors if he needs too in a match. Or maybe it's just coincidence and I'm imagining things... Who knows.

But really, a bot like Duck with an active weapon for the judges would be the Tombstone killer. Although expensive to build.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bring back Stinger, the true Tombstone killer.

Btw, don't think it's posted yet, so here's the Round of 16 and the schedule times:

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 18, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol when tombstone and son of wayichi clash

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lockjaw is probably built well enough to take enough hits from SOW to win the fight. SOW is a bot where you just have to take a couple hits and then SOW will flip itself upside down and be counted out.

But a Tombstone and SOW fight would be amazing. Would probably end in the more broken glass...

Interested to see what they are going to do to fill up the finale hour with 3 fights... Hopefully we can get a true rumble.

Also there's a possible Ice Wave vs Huge rematch in there...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's my bracket. I spent more time trying to pick fonts for bots than on the matches

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we're going to see biteforce somehow reconfigured with a horizontal spinner to kill huge

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Maybe we should reopen the Fantasy Battlebots thing for this, albeit small, bracket.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe we should reopen the Fantasy Battlebots thing for this, albeit small, bracket.

Oh yeah, that would be cool if someone knows how to do it without being too much of a pain in the rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It could probably be run like a typical March Madness pool with points based on picks except that you score full points by guessing the right type of victory and the winner and only half for picking a winner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a little late, but everyone fill out a bracket or at least make a list of victors and win types in each round and I'll score them. I thought about doing it in a Google Sheet so everyone can add it, but I don't want to deal with possible bad actors But I'll make it so everyone can at least look at it

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/edit?usp=sharing

My picks

Edit: Tunicate, I'll need win conditions to give you full points

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Round of 16 Left:

KO
KO
Decision
Decision