Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pakled posted:

lol at the stupid burger bot
At least the team that made it had fun by being amusingly self-depreciating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
This was a really good episode, even if the main event was a (hilarious) bust

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Laughed at Ray yelling at the other team to just stop moving. Also good to see him not do the normal of going in for the total destruction like he probably would with another team.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It would have been some majorly expensive carnage. I'm glad he wasn't a complete rear end.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Laughed at Ray yelling at the other team to just stop moving. Also good to see him not do the normal of going in for the total destruction like he probably would with another team.

To be honest, if I had a compromised frame and no replacement, I'd refrain from unnecessary hits, too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The incredible part was how long Gigabyte's dome kept spinning after it popped off.

A little disappointed that Tombstone's driver didn't go in for the kill on what was left of Gigabyte's husk but I can understand why he didn't.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want AI bots, not radio controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrrEpky2aQ

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love the ones that just dodge out of the way.

Also the one with the little flipper.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh look. Wedgebots ruining the meta again. /s

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hilarious if somewhat disappointing matches. Right before the match I said if that burger gets flipped, he's done. 2 seconds later, it's upside down.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking closely at the arena, I noticed that all of the hazards are gone besides the screws, the hammer and the saws. No flames, no slowly moving pistons and no flipper. You can see some of the spots where the floor plates were replaced for more saw installations. It's actually kind of a shame.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lone Goat posted:

The incredible part was how long Gigabyte's dome kept spinning after it popped off.

A little disappointed that Tombstone's driver didn't go in for the kill on what was left of Gigabyte's husk but I can understand why he didn't.

Warhead(?) had the same thing happen and that dome bounced off a ton of walls like a pinball machine

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The floor hazards are pretty much just for decoration at this weight class anyway. Only the flipper and the screws do anything and thats just to the bots that dont self right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Quoting myself from a month ago:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love a creative novelty entry so Hamburger bot is automatically my favourite (even though it'll probably turn out to be useless). It even has a mini-bot slider on the side!

LOL it was such a damp squib. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Burgerbot getting instantly owned by Goatsebot was great.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Quoting myself from a month ago:

LOL it was such a damp squib. :v:

Even assuming they'd gotten the spinner up to speed, it's mounted so high up I'm not sure how useful it'd be against a large section of possible opponents.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm fine with removing middle of the arena hazards. I want to see bot fighting and driving skills, not random hazards. The screws are good, the hammer is funny, the saws can go along with everything else. Although it is funny to see them get snagged on the floor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

wormil posted:

I'm fine with removing middle of the arena hazards. I want to see bot fighting and driving skills, not random hazards. The screws are good, the hammer is funny, the saws can go along with everything else. Although it is funny to see them get snagged on the floor.

Hazards are operated by the teams so it's not exactly random.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Xelkelvos posted:

Hazards are operated by the teams so it's not exactly random.

I know you're right but they seem completely random. The show makes no connection visually between hazards and teams. It's not explained how they work and apparently some hazards are only allowed later in the match. As a casual viewer, they appear random. Last night the blades were just popping up and down whether a bot was over them or not.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The hammers are the only ones controlled by the teams. The rest were computer controlled during ABCs run. Presumably they still are.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

The hammers are the only ones controlled by the teams. The rest were computer controlled during ABCs run. Presumably they still are.

Ah. Ok. That's a shame. King of Bots has done of the hazards operated by the teams so I assumed they also lifted that. Having the hazards triggered by AI seems like it'd work though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tombstone cam is pretty good, shame the clip is short but I'm betting it cut out (also the fight didn't last that long):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOCPHVmMbM

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I read from the comments there that the Gigabyte team explained why the shell broke. They got a Chinese company to CNC a 6061-T6 aluminum mast for them, and they got a cast aluminum mast instead. I'm only kind of an engineer, and I know a lot of people who might follow this aren't, so I imagine a lot of people might not understand the sheer horror I feel when I say the phrase 'cast aluminum'. It is an utterly useless material that will shatter if you look at it the wrong way. I've never had a good experience with it. Those guys are really lucky they didn't lose their entire robot to Tombstone over one fraudulently made piece.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People should really know better by now than to trust Chinese manufacturing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And here I was thinking it was some design flaw and that they had some sort of screw / bolt on top holding everything together...

loving chinese giving us inferior robotic parts!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Right before the fight they said that Brent is a machinist and most of the parts of Gigabyte were made in his garage. Maybe that was one he didn't make himself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Ah. Ok. That's a shame. King of Bots has done of the hazards operated by the teams so I assumed they also lifted that. Having the hazards triggered by AI seems like it'd work though

The King of Bots hazards also led to a disqualification when one of the teams triggered an arena hazard too early in the match, which was a pretty disappointing way of deciding a winner. I dunno why the timed hazards were even functional while they were illegal to use, surely they could have disconnected the release buttons until the timer ran down and they became legal?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Huge may be legit after all, cool? How the gently caress do you score that battle for Free Shipping? good lord

Free Shipping has a cool design and I want to see it work, but not looking good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Huge vs Free Shipping was a really good fight.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I enjoyed the staring contest at the beginning too much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watching gimmick bots fight is the best, I'm really rooting for Huge. It will be a sad day when he fights a decent horizontal spinner.

I was very disappointed that Yeti lost. Also dick move Icewave, I hope you draw Tombstone next.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I could buy that it was an accident. It looked like he was trying to turn around to exit the arena and misjudged his distance from Yeti. It'd be an astonishing level of dickishness if it was intentional; he'd have to be a much bigger rear end in a top hat than he seemed.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

wormil posted:

Watching gimmick bots fight is the best, I'm really rooting for Huge. It will be a sad day when he fights a decent horizontal spinner.

I think Huge can take it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pakled posted:

Huge vs Free Shipping was a really good fight.

Yeah, it was, and they had a 360 cam on Free Shipping, although as usual it's just a bit from the beginning and didn't get the whole fight. Still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFVBctO_3A

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I could buy that it was an accident. It looked like he was trying to turn around to exit the arena and misjudged his distance from Yeti. It'd be an astonishing level of dickishness if it was intentional; he'd have to be a much bigger rear end in a top hat than he seemed.

He had won but kept the rotor at full speed, edging closer, and was grinning at the Yeti guys. I guess only he knows for sure but it looked intentional, and giggling while claiming it was an accident wasn't very convincing.

I hope so but I'm skeptical those spoked wheels can handle a lawnmower type hit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

wormil posted:

He had won but kept the rotor at full speed, edging closer, and was grinning at the Yeti guys. I guess only he knows for sure but it looked intentional, and giggling while claiming it was an accident wasn't very convincing.

Theyve done some 'creative' editing in the past to make things look different. They did it with the Vanquish fight earlier, by showing Icewave moving towards the remains of Vanquish and then putting in the Vanquish teams reaction to the initial hit afterwards to suggest they thought he was going to hit them again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

wormil posted:

I didn't see him smiling but I don't have the capacity to rewatch it. As for the rotor, it was going fast enough that I'd think it would take a few moments to wind down after he deactivated it, and he turned around pretty quickly after the knockout. Regardless, it was thoughtless of him either way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huge may be legit after all, cool? How the gently caress do you score that battle for Free Shipping? good lord

I can see a judge awarding Free Shipping a lot of points for aggression and controlling the fight but yeah, it got hosed up and probably would have been counted out if the fight had gone on another 10 seconds and Huge was still rolling along just fine so I was also really surprised that it was a split decision.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Robot Wars is so much tamer than the horizontal spinners of battle bots. I am pretty sure Tombstone would just rip one of those tires right off of Huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Good point about the editing. Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter what I think only what the other drivers think. If they think it was intentional then I'm sure there will be a comeuppance.

• Locked thread