Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
During the fight Tombstone had its s7 tool steel bar, but for all the promos they showed Tombstone with an aluminum bar having S7 teeth. A napkin estimate of the cost of the aluminum alone on that bar was $2000. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I read from the comments there that the Gigabyte team explained why the shell broke. They got a Chinese company to CNC a 6061-T6 aluminum mast for them, and they got a cast aluminum mast instead. I'm only kind of an engineer, and I know a lot of people who might follow this aren't, so I imagine a lot of people might not understand the sheer horror I feel when I say the phrase 'cast aluminum'. It is an utterly useless material that will shatter if you look at it the wrong way. I've never had a good experience with it. Those guys are really lucky they didn't lose their entire robot to Tombstone over one fraudulently made piece.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Xelkelvos posted:

The material they're made of looks extremely ductile so any time something hits it, it bends out of the way and then goes back to its original shape.

It's made out of UHMW. Cutting boards are the most common household use of it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WampaLord posted:

Does anyone else get angry at teams that gimp themselves by splitting up the driving and weapon controls and giving them to two different people?

No, not at all. Just driving around can get seriously nerve-wracking in a fight, and handing off some parts of the robot to someone else can be a big help. Two people can focus 100% on weapon or driving instead on one person trying to juggle both. I think ideally it would be better for one person to do everything, but it can be harder than it sounds. I've got a 3lb lifting robot and immediately before every fight I practice moving my left thumb in the direction that lifting the enemy would be and repeat something like "up is lift, up is lift" over and over. There's nothing worse than getting your opponent in the perfect position, and then moving your stick in the wrong direction. Because it happens. Even for like a spinner robot if your blade is stalled, if you're distracted by driving, you might take a second or two to realize to take your thumb off the throttle, and in the meantime you've burnt out something expensive. Having a second person there controlling the weapon would prevent that.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WampaLord posted:

Fair enough, I guess I can see some of the benefit, but also I feel like I see quite a few bots just miss really easy opportunities to use their weapon and oftentimes it feels like because of this dynamic.

It sure is easy to armchair-Battlebot and wonder why Bronco didn't launch the opponent on all the great opportunities it had during a slo-mo replay. It's way different in real time from the one perspective you get standing there. You bring up a really good question though! There is no perfect answer, there's a lot of different strategies, and there's going to be pilot error no matter what you do. It would be a cool thing to interview people about on the show and I wish they'd do that.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GuavaMoment posted:

It would be a cool thing to interview people about on the show and I wish they'd do that.

MikeNCR posted:

Oddly relevant to the current discussion, after the Bronco fight we switched the transmitter setup

And they did show it! Both judges decision were super close, those were some tough calls to make for them. How bad was the fire? What burned out?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
After reading the rules I understand and kind of agree with both close decisions. Try thinking backwards if it helps. Imagine a fight where one bot gets 2 damage points, and the other bot gets all 3 of the other points to win. What would that fight look like? Wouldn't it look kind of exactly like the Icewave Skorpios fight?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Queering Wheel posted:

Probably because the vertical disc spinner got him the best results. All the other weapons sucked judging by what we saw of them.

The horizontal blade pretty handily took out Cobalt, who was (essentially) the Robot Wars champion.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

MikeNCR posted:

Apparently we weren't quite done after the Bite Force match.

There's a rumour all over the reddit that this episode has a really lovely judges decision somewhere in it. I don't know what it is, but can make some educated guesses, and I can't wait to see the future replies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
That was nowhere near as bad as I was fearing. It really did seem like the correct call. Congrats MikeNCR! Sorry that I'm still cheering for Tombstone next match. :)

RIP in pieces HUGE. I first thought the judges decision was going to be that fight. I could easily imagine ICEwave cutting a few chunks out of HUGE's wheels, then HUGE takes out the ICE engine. Then ICEwave spends 3 minutes pushing around a less-mobile-than-usual HUGE and winning a decision.

• Locked thread