Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

halokiller posted:

If you guys are itching for some more robot combat, check out the Chinese Battlebots, The King of Bots

It's quite entertaining despite mainly being in Chinese. Ian Lewis is a judge and it would explain why Beta isn't here this season (both its builders were competing in China). Plus there's Megabyte. :911:

Looks like there's also "This is Fighting Robots", which is a spin-off or "season 1.5" of KoB for some reason. I've not seen episodes of it anywhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

God drat those burgerbot doofuses for getting my hopes up that they might actually do something. :mad:

Yeah, this. I wanted to see that bacon spin-up but no, a piece of poo poo again. :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

If that's your plan, stick some sacrificial propane in there or something so that sucker gets lit up.
Robot Wars had a bot in every year that was "okay", but the best thing was the fur they stuck on it that always got set on fire.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's it? No wonder it seems so impotent.

Their wiki says 150, but that would still need to be "per square inch" to be interesting.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

GuavaMoment posted:

It sure is easy to armchair-Battlebot and wonder why Bronco didn't launch the opponent on all the great opportunities it had during a slo-mo replay. It's way different in real time from the one perspective you get standing there.

Now that you've mentioned it, I'd love to see the game from a player's perspective to see how lovely it is. Not just a camera guy behind the player, but a "go pro on their forehead" or some other way of really getting a feel for how it all looks from the driver's perspective.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hopefully the drones they use are really cheap so no-one cares.
I think it was Robot Wars years ago where a team got angry as they threw in the towel after their bot died but their opponent kept going and destroyed some really expensive parts unnecessarily. I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The hit I was thinking of was from Icewave at 3:20 in that botopsy video. Guts on the field!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

I'd love to know at what point in the design process they decided that was the best way to go. I'm sure they had their reasons, but ...

I guess you minimise weak points if you put the electric motor as close as possible to the thing it is driving, and if the motor is a beast you can pack your batteries and some control gear in there as well and have that sensitive stuff protected without having to spend your weight on a separate armoured housing? Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 18, 2018

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

You make a good case. I was assuming (becasue the detached tread was moving around on its own) that the two people shown with control sticks were operating a single tread each, but now that I think about it, I bet both treads could be independently controlled by a single operator.

It would be dumb as hell to have two people controlling a tread each, but what you're describing makes sense with a one-driver system.

I'm wrong. I have it on good authority that the weapon has its own motors and radio and so does each tread, for both aesthetic and build reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Haha. In the final episode something crazy happens and Chris Rose says "Holy tornado!" except his mouth really doesn't match that last word.

• Locked thread