Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Robot Wars was also quite a long time ago and general expertise has increased outside of just a few top competitors. High-energy spinning designs need to be built to a higher standard to remain steadfast through multiple fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Did the guys who made this not finish Newtonian physics? I mean someone please correct me if I'm speaking out of my rear end here but just off the top off my head from what I remember of physics:

1. The slug is too large and for some reason flat (???), making it impossible for it to penetrate anything that's even remotely as sturdy as itself since the force of the slug will get spread out upon impact.

2. While the slug is significantly heavy, it doesn't even come close to the weight of whatever it's going to hit. Meaning it has to hit with a tremendous force to actually cause any internal damage and not just recoil immediately as the force rebounds and bounces off the slug harmlessly.

3. The height of the barrel, why is the firing mechanism made to fire from an elevated position that almost guarantees that the slug will hit at an awkward angle and bounce off.

I mean we saw 1 & 2 in action right here. The slug didn't even dent the metal and bounced the hell away since the slug didn't have enough force to significantly move the very heavy and forward-pushing bot. And that was without 3 even coming into effect. Like what was plan A here. :psyduck:

The short answer is safety. They can't risk anything that would penetrate through the box.

I looked at the numbers and it should have around 8KJ of energy, so around 4 times more than an assualt rife, 16 times more than a 9mm handgun and less than half of a BMG anti-material round. They should have just aimed for one of the minibots.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It looked like it had absolutely zero impact on Gamma Nine but managed to put a pretty decent dent in their own bot on the ricochet

I just saw the AMA with the team on reddit, apparently they did do some damage to Gamma 9:

quote:

Our cannon is rated for 3600 PSI but we were operating at 1000 PSI for a variety of reasons (including safety and reliability). I wish they were doing a Science Channel "Botopsy Report" for this episode so viewers could see just how much damage we did to Gamma 9. We bent the internal frames, broke the welds, and disabled the hydraulic crusher. But hitting the most heavily armored part of one of the biggest bots in the competition was not optimal. Also hitting point-blank on Gamma 9's solid front panel was not optimal. There are other bots out there against which I think the cannon would show its full potential, and you'll have to keep watching this season to find out!

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I always thought AI control would suit the House Robots in Robot Wars.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Driving towards the opponent with a slab of high quality metal seems to be the most reliable way of dealing with spinners, there's a good chance their weapon drive will fail before the mounting for your metal slab. Subzero's didn't seem optimally attached tho, particularly against hits coming in at an angle.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

e: How the gently caress is this a split decision the what are you smoking Naomi

Probably because the other bot was beginning to break down. I feel like on a long enough timeline Chomp would win against almost anyone.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Watching Spectre from King of Bots makes me think they really should crank up the wall hazards a touch in the Battlebots arena. Would also be relevant for when someone loses their main weapon like the Scorpius fight.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
They should have have pushed more bots into Megabyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I appreciate Bombshell clawing in to remove Tombstone from the competition then quickly signing out. Bit of a chuckle.

• Locked thread