Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I was disappointed why goonbot and ladybug bot isn't on the roster, but looks like those two are judges now:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/984437134936358918

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

If you guys are itching for some more robot combat, check out the Chinese Battlebots, The King of Bots

It's quite entertaining despite mainly being in Chinese. Ian Lewis is a judge and it would explain why Beta isn't here this season (both its builders were competing in China). Plus there's Megabyte. :911:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Has any full body spinner ever been any good, outside of Ziggo?

I have high hopes for Megabyte Gigabyte. He's the heavyweight equivalent of Ziggo post-CC Battlebots.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

That guy was right, Overhaul dude needs to learn to drive.

Brushless drive system + lovely traction tends to do that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want AI bots, not radio controlled.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Watching gimmick bots fight is the best, I'm really rooting for Huge. It will be a sad day when he fights a decent horizontal spinner.

I think Huge can take it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Tombstone has a major weakness the vertical disks don't have and that's stability. Every good hit sends it flying so a decent wedge will beat it every time. Its success is largely due to the fact that battlebots frowns upon wedgebots and they don't get selected. The 220 pound version typically gets wrecked in live events where wedges are more common.

Here it is getting bullied hard by a cluster bot, for example:

https://youtu.be/eyYgW_jQsAk

There are at least a couple of bots on Battlebots that do have a good chance of beating Tombstone like Free Shipping or Duck since both bots are basically bricks with wheels. And Stinger had it shown up this season.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

Have I been marathoning Battlebots / Robot Wars enough or is the current combat robot meta kinda boring? Spinners are so dominant and the current rules (at least for Battlebots) prohibit bots that would be better equipped to deal with spinners.

Just depends on which tournament. King of wedgebots, Original Sin still won at Robogames last year. And in China, KoB had such lovely spinner clones, only Megabyte actually felt like a threat.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Especially Overhaul. I mean, I know Brutus split off that team because of "differences of opinion" with Charles, but wasn't there a second breakaway team, too? He seems a bit insufferable.

Heh there was a Tale of the Tape where Charles went on a random rant about Bernie conspiracy before getting cut off. The hosts were like :wtc:.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

We sometimes question a bot with exposed wheels and Last Rites/Tombstone is as exposed as it gets, but I don't think I ever seen it lose a wheel in any Combots or Robogames match. Even Ray says in his AMA that he doesn't really consider it a weakness, more of a calculated risk.

oh jay posted:

Where? I need this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcS4CPPFwo&t=2430s

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Stinger would be the robot I would always pick to beat Tombstone. Built like a tank, wheels that are difficult to completely remove, and excellent driving and control.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Kloaked00 posted:

Monsoon vs Axe Backward
Have we seen AB in a fight before? An interesting design I’d like to see more of, I think it has potential . Have to improve durability though

There was a similar design in classic Robot Wars (it wasn't very good)

oh jay posted:

I understand "how" it works. I just want to know the "why." Team Whyachi knows how to build bots. Is there something I'm missing as to why this design is better than either a basic spinner or flipper or even a wedge bot?

I guess it's easier to get picked by Battlebots if you submit a unique design. :shrug: Warrior Dragon's successor next year is a hydraulic-powered flipper.

Meanwhile, Team Whyachi's other good robot, Falcon, got rejected twice now for being a basic drum spinner.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 25, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Tombstone is already showing why they might lose. That chassis is getting more and more banged up with every fight and I don't believe they brought a spare. The electrics inside can't be doing much better.

Reminder that Last Rites didn't compete in Robogames this year because Tombstone had to cannibalize all its parts for this season.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Blacksmith is there to make cool promo shots (like Mohawk). Blacksmith is also a better bot than Mohawk.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Edit: removed

halokiller fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 14, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

oh jay posted:

Even for non wedgebots, I feel like the right strategy on such a big rumble would be to hang back as much as possible.

Robot Wars did it right with its rumble for seeding rights. No time-limit, last bot standing rules, and then throw some house robots in there to "nudge" the hanger-backers who want to be cozy in the corner.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Bring back Stinger, the true Tombstone killer.

Btw, don't think it's posted yet, so here's the Round of 16 and the schedule times:

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 18, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Ray mentioned that Tombstone has another match before the end of the season, didn't say if it's a rumble or a 1v1.

Love that Icewave didn't take the easy way out and just kept driving so we got to see 3 full minutes of slow carnage and a decapitation at the end.

And guess who continues to be the GOAT? Bite Force at 14-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

It was originally going to be Tombstone vs End Game but the team couldn't get ready on time (though if you're curious to see how that would go look up Carbide vs Aftershock who also embedded a piece of the opponent on the arena glass).

Love this new format of Battlebots, especially since it means every robot gets at least a couple of fights.

Re: Bite Force self-righting. Bite Force could self-right, but involves using its weapon and hurling itself on the arena wall.

• Locked thread