Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want AI bots, not radio controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrrEpky2aQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lone Goat posted:

The incredible part was how long Gigabyte's dome kept spinning after it popped off.

A little disappointed that Tombstone's driver didn't go in for the kill on what was left of Gigabyte's husk but I can understand why he didn't.

Warhead(?) had the same thing happen and that dome bounced off a ton of walls like a pinball machine

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Free Shipping suiciding into Huge over and over again was amazing.

Also lol yeti

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
chomp is a silly design anyway, yeah the weapon can do some serious poo poo if it gets a direct hit but it flips over too easily. all it does is try to nab a ~killshot~ early in and then survive the pummeling as it spends 60% of the match on its side

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there such a thing as entirely automated robot fighting? One of my friends objects to Battlebots as not robot fighting but radio controlled car fighting.

japan has you there

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I feel like those wheels won't last too long after a few direct hits from a horizontal spinner

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
finally a drone with a flamethrower is useful

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
sawblaze needs a better primary weapon for that top-tier plow

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MiddleOne posted:

No that's actually their gimmick. They're a passive-weapon bot masquerading as one with an active weapon as to not be illegible.

holy moly it's so ingenious

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the saw is totally useless because it needs time to cut through something important, but it doesn't have it because rules

it also can't cut at the same place over and over again for obvious reasons, so it's basically putting a dozen papercuts all over the chassis. The only time it will work would be if the armor was pathetically thin in the first place

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
chomp's primary weapon got owned but it was also extremely flimsy. the rest of the bot is stupidly strong though. huge owns.

icewave should've won. dumb saw bot flailed itself at it the whole time and won purely on "well technically," i'm also glad that petunia actually Did A Thing and crushed into another bot, although that other bot was very bad

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think he was being nice, he seems like generally a nice guy when he isn't doing his bad guy act. it would also be a huge dick move since they can't replace it if he broke it

also the barebone bot underneath would probably fold like tinfoil against tombstone's weapon so idk if it would've been harmful to itself

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i need to see the full gigabyte fight. also loving laffo Valkyrie

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
tombstone is insanely reliable which is already like 70% of the battle

see: chomp getting anywhere because it refuses to break

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm the independently powered and operated tread

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Has any full body spinner not broken itself by the end of a decently long fight, or is it just basically a given

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bronco is going to kill somebody before this is over and it will be epic

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
they’re definitely playing up tombstone a lot but he’s definitely beatable and every team has probably spent months thinking about how they would defeat him if they got to the end. that said tombstone is loving great because it’s crazy durable with a weapon that turns everyone else into bits, but bronco will always have a place in my heart because it’s definitely the most entertaining bot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
didn't they mention at one point either this episode or last that duck had some sort of unibody design? it helped make it extra durable at the expense of lack of customization and easy repair

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PostNouveau posted:

They didn't. but it's pretty obvious that it's a wedge bot pretending to have a weapon. I don't totally agree with the rule changes making wedge bots severely disadvantaged, so I don't mind it.

i can't find where it was mentioned but it has a unibody chassis. can't break poo poo off if it's all in one piece
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/8zfqpn/ama_with_duck_builder_hal_rucker_team_black_and/

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
one day tombstone is going to break in two from the culminative stresses from every match and the opposing bot will be crowned Best Bot Ever even though all it did was take a hit

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
meh episode, although I'm enjoying how sawblaze is getting owned left and right. I'm also not sure why blacksmith exists the hammer doesn't seem damaging enough

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i can see heavyweight designs like beta doing a ton of damage but i think any damage is outweighed by the fact you have this huge heavy hammer lugging around that’s attached only at one point, which can be broken off. for all the weight put into the hammer anyway could be spent in a decent spinner that has a bigger damage radius anyway

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what the gently caress hasn't anybody strapped a cutting torch on the front of a bot yet

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm hyped as gently caress for huge vs icewave

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
huge vs icewave went over exactly how i would've imagined, in that i knew that one of them would be entirely hosed up by the end. rip huge, looks like horizontal spinners really can gently caress up those wheels.

also that decision, while entirely within the rules, is awful

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
duck is a loving tank and even if it loses, it still puts a ton of structural strain on the other bots that will bite them in the rear end later

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we're going to see biteforce somehow reconfigured with a horizontal spinner to kill huge

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Holy poo poo rip

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Tombstone looked like it had some steering issues in the beginning which definitely did not help it. Either way it's going to be cool to see what redesign if any Ray does for next year

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this was the craziest and most unpredictable episode by far

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This was the season when all your heroes die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009