Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I was wondering about the arena weapons. Do we know how much power the box hammers hit with?

The announcers mentioned once that they hit with 100 pounds of force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Does anyone else get angry at teams that gimp themselves by splitting up the driving and weapon controls and giving them to two different people?

Like you're not in the loving drift cockpit from Pacific Rim, in the time it takes for you two to talk to each other the opportunity to strike has already passed.

I can just imagine "Okay, hit them NOW! No, you were too slow, NOW! No, too slow again, NOW!" over and over

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Can't the other person just see when to press the button

But they don't have a psychic mind meld with the driver, there's a delay from having to visually process that it's time to strike, but if you're the one driving and doing the weapon, you know when you're going to be in position to strike as you're doing it.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, but I honestly can't see the benefit to splitting the driving and weapons systems. Like in theory it gives each person just one thing to focus on, but in practice I see no way you'd be more effective than one driver.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

No, not at all. Just driving around can get seriously nerve-wracking in a fight, and handing off some parts of the robot to someone else can be a big help. Two people can focus 100% on weapon or driving instead on one person trying to juggle both. I think ideally it would be better for one person to do everything, but it can be harder than it sounds. I've got a 3lb lifting robot and immediately before every fight I practice moving my left thumb in the direction that lifting the enemy would be and repeat something like "up is lift, up is lift" over and over. There's nothing worse than getting your opponent in the perfect position, and then moving your stick in the wrong direction. Because it happens. Even for like a spinner robot if your blade is stalled, if you're distracted by driving, you might take a second or two to realize to take your thumb off the throttle, and in the meantime you've burnt out something expensive. Having a second person there controlling the weapon would prevent that.

Fair enough, I guess I can see some of the benefit, but also I feel like I see quite a few bots just miss really easy opportunities to use their weapon and oftentimes it feels like because of this dynamic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can just picture the team being like "okay, it flipped upside down, but it's fine, we can just recover it afterwaaaaaaaoooohhh MY GOD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pararoid posted:

This season of Battlebots was pretty cool and I did enjoy it, but I have to skip almost everything except the fights and some of the builder profiles because of how extremely cringy it is.

Same, I only watch Faruq's intros and then the fight, I have no interest in hearing each driver say "Well we just got to drive real good and get in behind their weapon!" for the 80th time.

Congrats to Biteforce, but I was really rooting for Minotaur.

• Locked thread