Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Battlebots is returning Friday May 11 at 8pm Eastern on the Discovery Channel.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/992801134858330113

:getin:

Old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Walrus posted:

why do they even let those wedge bots compete they're unstoppable as i recall

The new (since 2015) rules require every bot to have some kind of active weapon, so pure wedge bots are a thing of the past.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great episode! I like that they cut back on the fluff to show 5 battles per episode instead of 4.

Huge was great but the first spinner it faces is gonna destroy those wheels.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Minotaur taking that many hits from Tombstone and still going strong is pretty amazing. Too bad they got stuck on the hosed up floor.

Yeah, that really stood out to be. Minotaur must be a really solidly built bot because I don't think I've ever seen anyone take that many hits from Tombstone and keep ticking.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol were Hypershock's batteries not attached to the chassis by anything other than the wires

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, Gamma Nine was robbed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

wormil posted:

I'm a casual fan but this season is the best yet. My wife is usually indifferent to everything on tv but she's really getting into this season and yelling during the matches, it's kind of funny actually.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Cutting back on the fluff and having five fights per episode instead of four is great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol at the stupid burger bot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Huge vs Free Shipping was a really good fight.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well, if Battlebots just accepted the most powerful bots, the competition would be made up of 32 minor variations on Tombstone. For the sake of entertainment, they pick bots with a wide variety of weapons, designs, and other gimmicks. If you want to get in to Battlebots, you're probably better off making burgerbot 2.0 than making the best possible bot (Tombstone)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When it was one minute to the top of the hour and Bite Force stopped moving, I thought it was over but lol nope

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sawblaze probably makes the best use of a flamethrower out of any other bot since the revival (I know that's not saying much)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The burgerbot team posted a postmortem to imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/9XZFHeE

quote:

Things went south... immediately.

Shorter Pounder's controller was not transmitting correctly (interference?), and the little guy started wandering in the arena =0
but that's ok! His job was to be a tasty target for Hypershock to knock around while we got the weapon up to speed and Hypershock absolutely went for it.

The hit was so fast the driver's finger was on the flame thrower, but we didn't get to launch fire :(

But then something went really, REALLY WRONG...

quote:

The Electronic Speed Controller on the brushless weapon drive absolutely poo poo the bed. We have running theories on why the ESC cooked to death, from a current backflow to damage from a Hypershock hit. We were pretty devastated.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm shocked at how sturdy Huge is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PITT posted:

I think the judges made a strange call on that last one, I thought they were suppose to keep somewhat of a tally of hits etc to judge score. Ken seemed salty about it too.

It was a weird one. If I was scoring that fight, I'd give Icewave full credit for damage, none for control, and little for strategy. And I'd give Skorpios no credit for damage and full credit for control and strategy. So, then there's aggression. That makes it a tough call, like, in my mind, Skorpios was being way, way more aggressive, since Icewave spent most of that fight running away, but it didn't get many attacks in with its powered weapon, which is supposed to be the most important aspect of aggression. But then there's also "consideration is also given if the attacking robot is risking serious damage on each attack," which would be in Skorpios' favor. If I was a judge, I'd probably have scored it as a slim victory for Icewave, but I could see it going the other way depending on how you interpret "aggression."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

Basically

Does this imply that a really, really good wedge bot could compete?

The rules require that a bot have some kind of powered weapon to enter.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Duck! fought valiantly, but Bronco is a really, really good bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Junkyard Wars was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

That tournament was a cool idea. It seems like it wasn't really the last chance for losers they promoted it as because some of them weren't even doing that badly overall. One of them was even undefeated. I was expecting it to be the contestants with no wins.

Lockjaw seemed to win through pure driving skill and having a second robot to swap in when one gets too damaged. It certainly looks like those lifting arms work against it and keep the opponent away from the spinner. It doesn't actually connect with the spinner very often.

That one undefeated one had only been in one match, though, and I don't think it was even televised. I do think its only chance of making it to the finals was winning the Desperado tournament. It seems rather unfair that the competitors don't all get the same number of matches in the fight card stage.

• Locked thread