Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love a creative novelty entry so Hamburger bot is automatically my favourite (even though it'll probably turn out to be useless). It even has a mini-bot slider on the side!

Sharkbot and chompy angler fish are equal second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They're also experimenting with a drone-mounted camera which was somewhat less than 100% successful :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5sQS7TiZs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

If you guys are itching for some more robot combat, check out the Chinese Battlebots, The King of Bots

It's quite entertaining despite mainly being in Chinese. Ian Lewis is a judge and it would explain why Beta isn't here this season (both its builders were competing in China). Plus there's Megabyte. :911:

I'm just watching the first episode of this (the first video in the compilation is blocked so it skips to the second video which is actually episode 1, just untranslated) and there's some great stuff in it. Skip the first 11 minutes if you just want to go straight to the first fight between Megabyte and Stingray, it's a good'un. But keep watching after that because the intro to the next fight is great, you don't need to know Chinese to be able to follow what's happening.

Their ring announcer's costume looks like a cross between a dominatrix and an anime character, maybe Faruq could pick up a few fashion tips from her. :v:

Edit: oh drat, in the third fight at 27:00 the pilots on one of the teams are dressed like Jaeger pilots from Pacific Rim with futuristic body armour (which is obviously motocross armour spraypainted black) and huge controller units on their arms and they've got a mini drone that's constantly scanning and updating fight coordinates but their robot is a lovely fuckin' wedge with pincers that constantly gets stuck on the arena floor. That's goddamned hilarious.

Edit 2: Fights 4 and 5 were pretty anticlimactic so they breezed through them pretty quickly. The team gimmicks were probably the most interesting aspects, one of the robots was a tall blue cartoon dinosaur.

Fight 6 was pretty :black101:, one of the robots got hosed up so badly that they draped a sheet over it when they wheeled its corpse out of the arena.

Fight 7 was anticlimactic, especially since one of the robots was a Tombstone clone called Whirlwind Cloud Breaker.

This wiki page has translations of all the robot names but it also has spoilers for every episode: http://king-of-bots.wikia.com/wiki/King_of_Bots_(Season_1)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 14, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a rare glimpse behind the scenes as a ragtag underdog team try to break into the big leagues of Battle Bots fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0T1247mi8Q

Edit: oh man, I was really excited when episode 3 of King Of Bots featured Wu Yulu, that Chinese farmer dude who became world famous for building crazy robots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_8-D7T6nkM

... but it turns out that he didn't even build the robot he was piloting for the battle, it was just a spare fighting robot made by one of the other competitors. Also it was a bar spinner and its bar was set so high that it couldn't even hit the robot they put it up against.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 15, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ConfusedUs posted:

Huge has a really cool design, and it seems designed to bounce away when hit rather than just take the blow.

I feel like spinners and drums aren't gonna do much against it, but a big horizontal blade (Tombstone) will be tough.

Yeah I guess their defensive plan is to keep the smashable carriage up off the ground where the other bots can't even reach it with their weapons, but attacking the wheels just makes the entire thing just bounce even further out of range.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

End Game's intro reminds me I need to finish watching the Chinese Battlebots clone.

I really enjoyed the show, they have up to 9 fights per episode so they really pack 'em in there and you're guaranteed at least one awesome match on every card. Also they have the usual arena challenges but they also came up with a brand new one: whoever built the arena did such a cruddy job that the poor design drastically effects the results of several fights completely by accident. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Lol at that projectile. Point blank and does nothing.

It looked like it had absolutely zero impact on Gamma Nine but managed to put a pretty decent dent in their own bot on the ricochet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Quoting myself from a month ago:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love a creative novelty entry so Hamburger bot is automatically my favourite (even though it'll probably turn out to be useless). It even has a mini-bot slider on the side!

LOL it was such a damp squib. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Ah. Ok. That's a shame. King of Bots has done of the hazards operated by the teams so I assumed they also lifted that. Having the hazards triggered by AI seems like it'd work though

The King of Bots hazards also led to a disqualification when one of the teams triggered an arena hazard too early in the match, which was a pretty disappointing way of deciding a winner. I dunno why the timed hazards were even functional while they were illegal to use, surely they could have disconnected the release buttons until the timer ran down and they became legal?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huge may be legit after all, cool? How the gently caress do you score that battle for Free Shipping? good lord

I can see a judge awarding Free Shipping a lot of points for aggression and controlling the fight but yeah, it got hosed up and probably would have been counted out if the fight had gone on another 10 seconds and Huge was still rolling along just fine so I was also really surprised that it was a split decision.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tombstone vs Hamburgerdud would have been a lot more entertaining than what we got :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subzero's gets bailed out of a retarded strategy because Shredator can't take a hit god drat it

Hey now, it's only a dumb strategy if it fails. They won the fight therefore rope-a-dope was a great plan. :v:

Grognan posted:

wyachi clan can eat a dick

Yeah there's just something about those guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It did fail tho, the extra armor didn't do a drat thing. One more hit and Subzero's guts would have been shredded

It's irrelevant whether another hit would have finished off Sub Zero if Captain Shrederator was immobilized and wasn't capable of hitting it again. Shrederator's main weakness is shaking itself apart whenever it hits another bot so adding sacrificial armor that it can batter itself against is a viable plan, albeit a pretty risky one. The fight wasn't all that entertaining but they took a long shot and they got the win. :shrug: If Shrederator hadn't taken itself out of the fight and it had gone to a judge's decision there's no way they would have won so it was a crazy gamble either way.

I can't see that strategy working on other bots, though. Smaller horizontal spinners will just batter against them all day long and then win on points and bigger bots like Tombstone would just smash them to pieces in seconds.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wormil posted:

Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

They had a short sketch at the top of the episode called "A Day in Faruq's Life" or something where he announced everything he did. "It's photocopying time! It's potty time! It's forklifting time!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat those burgerbot doofuses for getting my hopes up that they might actually do something. :mad:

Congratz to Witch Doctor though, which is a sentence I didn't think I'd be saying any time soon. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spotted this in a crowd shot:

:ramsay:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Beer posted:

I think that might have been the best drone kill yet.

It's glorious, I love it so much

https://i.imgur.com/uxSSBjA.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They really should bring that back, it was great. (The spinoff series were .... sometimes less than great.)

Also I think Robert Llewellyn and Lisa Rogers could probably use the work ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

Yeah I think that was against Tombstone and the driver was chuckling and telling them to stop moving so they'd be counted out. If you keep trying to get away then the fight is still going so .... :black101:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that was a pretty satisfying mini tournament with some actual stakes for the winner. Some real nice carnage as well. :getin:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Free Shipping seems to lose in the most spectacular ways possible.

Yeah, I'm always happy to see it appear on the card. I'm not rooting for it to win but I'm happy to watch it explode over and over. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rexxed posted:

Today's episode is great.

Also, wow, go Bombshell, that was a great rumble. I can see why some folks might think it should've gone to Duck but it seemed like a close call.

Yeah same, Duck may have lasted the distance and performed some good tactical moves in pushing its opponents into each other's weapons but it's still just a glorified wedge and it just ran around booping snoots and not really doing anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bombshell, takes multiple hits from tombstone, catches on fire after 1 hit from Lockjaw...

I'm guessing it still had residual damage from the Tombstone fight.

Aww, I was rooting for Bombshell after they scraped into the tournament almost literally at the last second of the qualifiers and then taking out the #1 seed. They were Cinderella'ing their way to the ball like a champ. :(

• Locked thread