Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Petunia's wedge is angled way too high to grab things. Otoh Rotator remains terrible

Edit: Huge won't have problems with drum spinners or short ones like Bombshell, but long arm spinners like Tombstone or ICEwave have a decent chance of catching one of the wheels between the spokes and then eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MikeNCR posted:

Noticed there was a new thread, figured I'd pop in with a bit of insight into filming-

The entire event, including inspections was filmed over a 16 day period around the start of April.
The ranking match format gives teams that have a rough first match a chance to come back, though it's pretty brutal on the teams as by the end of four fights odds are you've had a lot of work to do.
For those that saw the Bombshell fight, we were having issues with the weapon motor, belt tension, and esc programming for the fight. By the time the first fight happened we'd already burnt up two of our weapon motors and had to make a trip to the motor vendor to buy more.

That's really rough. At least you have time between matches to get major repairs done as opposed to Robot Wars. Still burning out two motors before the start of the second match is painful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
End Game's intro reminds me I need to finish watching the Chinese Battlebots clone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was terrible Shredarator

I love Yeti

Shrederator is a bad bot.

Yeti otoh, is a really good one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

it's the silly hats

Leaning hard into being more pro-wrestling than boxing is always more hype.

New rules for 2018 have up to 10lbs of allowances for decorations and not enough bots thus far have taken advantage of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Probably because it is likely to heavily conflict with the no entanglement rule and lead to disqualifications.

That's addressed actually.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP Fuzzy

e: What an awful matchup for the projectile bot, holy poo poo

e: bummer, I wanted Ax Backwards to work boooooo

It was a good attempt at a full body spinner variant, but RIP. Lol at that projectile. Point blank and does nothing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can't wait until they start being like real boxing and start having under card matches also be of different weight classes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally getting around to watching King of Bots and I really appreciate how aggressive they are with the hazards compared to Battlebots. I also like their screw replacement better. The walls are trash though and the smokescreen is kinda dumb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, the hazards on this show are really toothless. The floor saw is the only one even worth anything.

I'd say the Flipper is always worth it, even at the higher classes, I just don't know how often they're allowed to fire the hazards.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking closely at the arena, I noticed that all of the hazards are gone besides the screws, the hammer and the saws. No flames, no slowly moving pistons and no flipper. You can see some of the spots where the floor plates were replaced for more saw installations. It's actually kind of a shame.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

wormil posted:

I'm fine with removing middle of the arena hazards. I want to see bot fighting and driving skills, not random hazards. The screws are good, the hammer is funny, the saws can go along with everything else. Although it is funny to see them get snagged on the floor.

Hazards are operated by the teams so it's not exactly random.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

The hammers are the only ones controlled by the teams. The rest were computer controlled during ABCs run. Presumably they still are.

Ah. Ok. That's a shame. King of Bots has done of the hazards operated by the teams so I assumed they also lifted that. Having the hazards triggered by AI seems like it'd work though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Complete Control was the one piloted by a Goon who participated in the original series right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

logikv9 posted:

Free Shipping suiciding into Huge over and over again was amazing.

Also lol yeti

I believe they way Free Shipping is set up, all of the weapon stuff is at the top and the box the wheels are attached to are drive portions and such which might have been under Huge's weapons clearance so I could just keep running into Huge without being in danger of getting too mangled

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel extremely bad for Bombshell. It gets stuck in the same position, again, and instead of just getting counted out, they get launched out.

Chomp is still ambitious, but rubbish. Their new self righting mechanism is cool, but agonizingly slow compared to what a human directed mechanism can do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Chomp is bad. I don't buy any of the automation poo poo, it rarely hits and is constantly out-driven and the bot spends all its time flipped over because its center of gravity is way too high. I'll give it points for toughness, I don't remember it ever actually being knocked out or even having a single system disabled.

If they actually had an automated deathbot that'd be cool though.

It's poo poo because it's automated. Idk how the internal computing is run, but they're probably conjoined in some way that slows the whole thing down. Assuming it's the servo for the weapon, the Center of Gravity problem could presumably be resolved by adjusting the arms without reducing the arc on the foreswing. Beta is an example of this.

But no. It's definitely automated because humans don't generally drive bots that slowly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
You can even see it in King of Bots with some of the Chinese Tombstone-likes where it's clear that the pilot just copied the design without much driving practice and just veers into a wall and self destructs. Spinners are monsters in terms of potential damage, but because of the speed and mass of the weapon, the physics jumps in and hammers the amount of control you have on your bot so you have to compensate somewhere or adjust the positioning of the weapon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Huge seems like it has good odds against a lot of bots since Flippers do nothing to them and a lot of spinners just seem to pass through their wheels as though they were just a suggestion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

logikv9 posted:

I feel like those wheels won't last too long after a few direct hits from a horizontal spinner

I honestly have no idea. The material they're made of looks extremely ductile so any time something hits it, it bends out of the way and then goes back to its original shape. Maybe the object just needs to be faster to push/pull it into something more damaging. Ostensibly, if a weapon catches between the spokes, it could actually do some major damage, but the only bot it's faced so far that had that capability was Free Shipping. The other thing is that fire is probably effective against those wheels in terms of softening them enough to drop the main body.

I think the worst thing for it to face is another vertical bar spinner like Monsoon which would be able to do real damage to the main body or any of the saw bots which could actually eat at the wheels in a more certain manner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sure maybe there is some exceptions, but at the end of the day Robot Wars, even the new series is very tame compared to Battlebots.

Robot Wars is more an endurance race than Battlebots because of how it's set up. Battlebots is very much single explosive bouts with hours or even days in between to diagnose and fix up damage while Robot Wars is more drawn out matches (and the bots are just as dangerous at the Battebots ones as the weight classes and some of the weapon rules are the same) and I think 20-30 minutes to fix the bot up for the next match iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Now that was a good battle of spinners. Yeti definitely has a ton of muscle, but it's a shame about the wheel on Bombshell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd love to see a budget Battlebots where a scrapyard's worth of parts are bought and competitors pick through it to make robots that compete in various challenges like robo sumo or obstacle courses and the requisite beating the crap out of each other

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Basically, except with more robo violence

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rondette posted:

The first (maybe more?) series of Robot Wars did this, it was annoying in that case because we all just wanted to see the robots fight! The format you suggest sounds better though.

And Yeah, Faruq is great, does he write those ...things..himself?

I was thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotica

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCoCy-RDE48

Some "botopys" of losers

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

halokiller posted:

Just depends on which tournament. King of wedgebots, Original Sin still won at Robogames last year. And in China, KoB had such lovely spinner clones, only Megabyte actually felt like a threat.

I don't think it's a surprise that Spinners are actually really difficult to operate and direct given the nature of their weaponry, but just watching some of the Tombstone clones self-destruct is amusing on its own. Spinners are extreme glass cannons so bulking of armor and some clever piloting may be all you need to get all but the best spinners to self destruct. Otoh, that strategy doesn't hold up against the new class of pseudo-wedge bots that have nominal weapons but largely exist to ram other bots and push them around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grognan posted:

Minotaur is a prime example, their poo poo gets up to speed and you can't even turn without maybe flipping.

I think most, if not all the Minotaur-likes like Yeti have that same issue. It's basically a function of physics.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

wormil posted:

Well, it is really.

Thing about Tombstone is it turns so fast that it's nearly impossible to hit anything but it's weapon; and it's durable as hell.

It's not just that it turns fast, it's weapon profile is huge compared to most bots except other horizontal spinners like Icewave and Son of Wyachi. With Tombstone's weapon, though, it's speed and weight also help it turn due to the blade's momentum iirc so it can whip around clockwise with the weapon going faster than without (if my physics are right)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDDhv2swbg

In case you wanna watch the skipped Desperado matches.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Hammers in general seem largely useless against bots compared to literally anything else.

At lower weight classes where the armor is weaker, I'd think that Hammers might actually be useful, but when compared to spinners or even pneumatic flippers, they're trash.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oh jay posted:

They could one shot lower weight classes. But at this weight class, only the screws are dangerous for being able to get ring outs.

The arena floor is more dangerous in this version if only because it can trap bots long enough for their opponent to score a hit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Flames seem better as a way to obscure the vision of the opponent than as an actual method of damage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Maybe we should reopen the Fantasy Battlebots thing for this, albeit small, bracket.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It could probably be run like a typical March Madness pool with points based on picks except that you score full points by guessing the right type of victory and the winner and only half for picking a winner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a little late, but everyone fill out a bracket or at least make a list of victors and win types in each round and I'll score them. I thought about doing it in a Google Sheet so everyone can add it, but I don't want to deal with possible bad actors But I'll make it so everyone can at least look at it

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/edit?usp=sharing

My picks

Edit: Tunicate, I'll need win conditions to give you full points

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 21, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The most you will get is 32 points without any win predictions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
No, I mean KO or Decision.

Reposting here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/

No prizes, just for loving around.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current Bracket standings:

Me: 3
Tunicate: 4
Wormil: 3
Glumslinger: 5
Zedd: 1

How scoring works: correctly picking a winner is worth 1pt in Ro16, 2 in QFs, 4 in Semis and 8 for the final. Correctly picking whether it ends up as a KO (or Ring out) or Decision (Split or Unanimous) will double the points for that match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current standings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/

Out of a total of 32 possible points....
No one's broken double digits.

Tunicate: 8
Glumslinger: 6
Xelkelvos: 5
Wormil: 4
Zedd: 3

Tunicate and Zedd are also both locked out as they guessed None of the QF winners correctly. The rest of us are basically left with Minotaur to rack up points.

• Locked thread